PDA

View Full Version : Xykon IS the dark one?

Alex Warlorn
2007-09-27, 10:21 PM
Imagine if maybe, the god that Redcloak serves IS Xykon? Listen, deities are able to work OUTSIDE the laws of cause and effect. Thus, what if Xykon, through Redcloak is in fact ensuring his own ascension to divine status? It wouldn't be the first time a lich has achieved godhood.

kpenguin
2007-09-27, 10:23 PM
I haven't read SoD, but from what I've heard, it blows your theory out of the water.

Porthos
2007-09-27, 10:26 PM
I haven't read SoD, but from what I've heard, it blows your theory out of the water.

I have read SoD and....

That theory is pretty much blown out of the water by said book. :smalltongue:

KBF
2007-09-27, 10:27 PM
Great. Now Rich will change the story when he sees your title. Thanks alot.

Anyway... That would be an interesting plot twist. Then the Xykon on the physical plane became an avatar of himself when he achieved godhood... Making him immortal-er...

Techonce
2007-09-28, 12:09 AM
Imagine if maybe, the god that Redcloak serves IS Xykon? Listen, deities are able to work OUTSIDE the laws of cause and effect. Thus, what if Xykon, through Redcloak is in fact ensuring his own ascension to divine status? It wouldn't be the first time a lich has achieved godhood.

NO no No no no.

I reccomend reading Start of Darkness, it definitly puts a different light on everything.

It definitly made me rethink my stance on Redcloak.

Not to give anything away, but Redcloak's level of evilness versus Belkar's level of evilness is not how I had imagined.

Renegade Paladin
2007-09-28, 01:08 AM
Yeah, Redcloak's still more evil than Belkar. He's just hypocritical about it.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-28, 01:09 AM
No.

Minimum characters.

Alex Warlorn
2007-09-28, 01:14 AM
No.

Minimum characters.

Didn't Miko pretty much corner and beat to death the 'Paladin's are 'evil'' motif? Along with the dwarf from the comic goblins who has violated every single rule IN the paladin creed?

Querzis
2007-09-28, 01:34 AM
Didn't Miko pretty much corner and beat to death the 'Paladin's are 'evil'' motif? Along with the dwarf from the comic goblins who has violated every single rule IN the paladin creed?

Well paladin gains their power from their gods so its not as much «paladin are evil» as it is «paladin can do evil things to goblins and most usually evil aligned race without falling since the gods created those races for the sole purpose of getting killed and dont care at all about what happens to them.» The 12 gods have favorites races while there are some their threat like crap so they are not LG in the first place and shoudnt be controlling a class thats usually LG.

But yeah, read Start of darkness and you'll realize Xykon cant be the dark One...

Charles Phipps
2007-09-28, 05:16 AM
Nothing in Start of Darkness disproves this theory.

FrostXian
2007-09-28, 06:52 AM

The sun is NOT shiny.

FujinAkari
2007-09-28, 07:34 AM

Yes it does, Redcloak had to convince Xykon to help, who was just as willing to go along with some Lizardmen. If Xykon WAS the avatar of the goblin god he would:

A) Probably be a Goblin

B) Be actively looking to help the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle

C) Not started out as a weakling

Pepz
2007-09-28, 07:49 AM
Yes it does, Redcloak had to convince Xykon to help, who was just as willing to go along with some Lizardmen. If Xykon WAS the avatar of the goblin god he would:

A) Probably be a Goblin

B) Be actively looking to help the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle

C) Not started out as a weakling

not to forget

D) Not suggest building a boat out of goblin corpses

Rastafast
2007-09-28, 07:51 AM
SoD was a retcon anyway, so arguing about motivations from it is kinda pointless.

Morty
2007-09-28, 07:53 AM
Oh, come on. Even without reading SoD, Xykon's behavior towards goblinoids blows this theory.

Green Bean
2007-09-28, 08:17 AM
Oh, come on. Even without reading SoD, Xykon's behavior towards goblinoids blows this theory.

Who knows, maybe the Dark One's just a jerk... :smallwink:

Morty
2007-09-28, 08:34 AM
Who knows, maybe the Dark One's just a jerk... :smallwink:

Even evil god wouldn't let Redcloak needlessly slaughter his followers, much less do it himself.

Wolf53226
2007-09-28, 09:19 AM
Yeah, because evil gods have never asked for pointless sacrifices just to amuse themselves, much less ones that serve a purpose such as building a boat.:smallconfused:

SteveMB
2007-09-28, 09:25 AM
Yeah, because evil gods have never asked for pointless sacrifices just to amuse themselves, much less ones that serve a purpose such as building a boat.:smallconfused:

The Dark One may be evil, but he is loyal to his people -- he originally got killed trying to get a better deal for goblins, and was raised to godhood by the devotion of goblins. Killing goblins at random for amusement just doesn't sound consistent with that.

If and when the Dark One succeeds, Xykon would be the first one up against the wall. :smallwink:

Techonce
2007-09-28, 09:26 AM

A lawful evil god would probably not do that. Send his followers to their death? Sure. But not for no reason.

Besides. The Dark One is more Anti-Human than Evil, but since we look at it from our viewpoint, we call him Evil.

SoD explains all...

Morty
2007-09-28, 09:28 AM

I was talking about realistic evil gods, mind you. God who needlessly sacrifices his own followers is stupid, not evil. Evil god would probably encourage survival of the fittest and make his followers prove themselves and be merciless about their failings. What Xykon and Redcloak did to hobgoblins -and Xykon to Redcloak's goblins- was most of the time needless, wanton slaughter.

Alex Warlorn
2007-09-28, 09:36 AM
Er, I meant Xykon doesn't KNOW he's going to be the dark one when he becomes a deity.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-28, 09:43 AM
What? That isn't what we're talking about here....

Anyway, okay, it's possible that Redcloak, the high priest of the Dark One could be entirely misinformed of his god's motivations and demeanor. It's possible that the Dark One descended to the mortal realm as a human with a penchant for necromancy just to loaf around and be a gigantic douchebag to his chosen people. It's possible that there is no huge monster on Lost, and the trees just shake because they're epileptic. However, I don't think any of this is very likely, and none of it is supported by the material we've been given.

EDIT: Actually, that last statement of "Xykon becoming a deity"...it's possible his body will be possessed by the Dark One:
We know Xykon and Redcloak are going to be destroyed if the ritual goes to plan
But he is not the Dark One in semimortal form right now.

Read Start of Darkness. It's a good book and explains a lot about the bad guys.

Wolf53226
2007-09-28, 09:50 AM
My comment was more to M0rt's response right above it, I really don't know enough about "The Dark One" to make a educated guess on if that is his MO or not, I will take your word for it that it isn't, and that's fine. But to just put a blanket statement out such as

and

Even evil god wouldn't let Redcloak needlessly slaughter his followers, much less do it himself.

is just silly.

I agree that Xykon isn't the Dark One, it makes no sense just from a story point of view, but to say he isn't it because of flawed reasoning had to be called out.

And as for:

I was talking about realistic evil gods, mind you. God who needlessly sacrifices his own followers is stupid, not evil.

There have been gods throughout almost all of human history have called for sacrifices in one form or another, mostly of followers or people they could convert to their way of thinking, for little to no reason.

Being that this argument gets perilously close to religious talk, I will not be making the rest of my argument in this thread.

Now, I must say, if I have misinterpreted M0rt's comments, and he was specifically referring to the Dark One and not just general statements about evil gods as it sounded to me, then I am in the wrong.

dragongirl13
2007-10-19, 07:32 PM
Gah, you have NOT read Start of Darkness.

Xykon used to be a totally normal person. Evil, but normal.

And the Dark One is a goblin. If it looks like a goblin and thinks like a goblin, then it's a GOBLIN.

Sigbru
2007-10-19, 08:58 PM
But Xykon can still be a god.

Note: "Dark One" is a stupid name for a god

RationalGoblin
2007-10-19, 09:07 PM
Wasn't plausible even BEFORE SoD.

Now, I think a better theory is that Redcloak, through sheer might and devotion to the goblin people, will become a NEW Dark One, and old one will perish.

Kish
2007-10-19, 09:22 PM
Redcloak,[...] devotion to the goblin people,

Snerk. Really, after SoD?

Koraks
2007-10-19, 10:00 PM
What? That isn't what we're talking about here....

Anyway, okay, it's possible that Redcloak, the high priest of the Dark One could be entirely misinformed of his god's motivations and demeanor. It's possible that the Dark One descended to the mortal realm as a human with a penchant for necromancy just to loaf around and be a gigantic douchebag to his chosen people. It's possible that there is no huge monster on Lost, and the trees just shake because they're epileptic. However, I don't think any of this is very likely, and none of it is supported by the material we've been given.

EDIT: Actually, that last statement of "Xykon becoming a deity"...it's possible his body will be possessed by the Dark One:
But he is not the Dark One in semimortal form right now.

Read Start of Darkness. It's a good book and explains a lot about the bad guys.

Gahaha! Hum. Well said indeed (hehe, epileptic trees). I have to agree. I havn't read SoD, but I don't think it very likely our badass (really badass) vilain is the incarnation of a the Dark One. I mean, it would not make a very interesting, or credible, plot twist. Xykon is fine as just the way he is. If I ever read a strip containing the phrase: «Holy crap! Xykon is the dark one and was needlessly cruel to goblins just to hide that very fact!» I would be very disapointed (and more).

Chronos
2007-10-20, 11:35 AM
Note: "Dark One" is a stupid name for a godYeah, but it's a pretty cool title for a god. What's a god need a name for, anyway?

PirateMonk
2007-10-20, 11:50 AM

We do? We know that it may be accidentally unleashed during the ritual, and we have a picture of the two dying in one panel, but that could just be what Right-eye is envisioning.

Kish
2007-10-22, 06:01 PM
We do? We know that it may be accidentally unleashed during the ritual, and we have a picture of the two dying in one panel, but that could just be what Right-eye is envisioning.
Since Redcloak talked about giving Xykon a cushy retirement in the new goblin nation, I'd say it's 100% certain that Redcloak's Plan A doesn't involve either of them dying from the ritual to "control" the portal. Though, at this point, it's not at all unlikely that he'd immediately ask the Dark One to annihilate Xykon.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-24, 01:17 AM
I've misplaced my copy of Start of Darkness, but I believe I recall that Redloak is expecting that both he and Xykon are going to be killed in the ritual. Well, killed/destroyed, now. This could just be the worst-case scenario, but I am sure it's a possibility, and that he hasn't told Xykon about it.

Aquillion
2007-10-24, 01:24 AM
Since Redcloak talked about giving Xykon a cushy retirement in the new goblin nation, I'd say it's 100% certain that Redcloak's Plan A doesn't involve either of them dying from the ritual to "control" the portal. Though, at this point, it's not at all unlikely that he'd immediately ask the Dark One to annihilate Xykon.
Um. Evil alignment. And Xykon is even technically a human.

If anything, the fact that Redcloak talked about that is proof that he doesn't expect Xykon to 'survive' that long.

hanzo66
2007-10-24, 01:57 AM
Yeah, but it's a pretty cool title for a god. What's a god need a name for, anyway?

The Dark One's name comes from the fact that...

The Dark One was a purple-colored Goblin in life seemingly suggested by Redcloak to be Epic Level. According to Redcloak The Dark One was a wise and benevolent ruler of the Goblin race who was assassinated by humans when he was attempting to make a deal with their rulers. Upon his death his followers slaughtered for a year in his name, which manages to raise his spirit to Godhood.

I highly doubt Xykon as the Avatar of the Dark One. The closest thing The Dark One has to an avatar seems to be Bearers of the Crimson Mantle (in this case Redcloak), whom he tries to guide towards his goals.

Xykon for his part is highly disinterested (and for the most part ignorant) to the true goals of Redcloak, believing that Redcloak's goal will lead him to world domination (in his mind an act of evil that will ensure his legacy).

Also Redcloak and Xykon dying from the ritual does not seem to be a guaranteed, rather an option if they were to actually end up unleashing the Snarl rather than warping the Gate, upon which the world would be destroyed, but The Dark One would have a voice in the new world.