PDA

View Full Version : Sage my Game

Stormcrow
2007-09-27, 10:41 PM
I'm writing a sage NPC who was a normal happy go lucky 25 year old till he through a long winded incident you can PM me about consumed the soul of a Loremaster of Netheril (FR) so... how do I represent that in cruch?

Advice?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-28, 08:23 AM
I assume this "Consumed Soul" thing is meant to affect his personality somehow, rather than a more literal consumption simply destroying the soul, yes? The latter doesn't really require much more than a major guilt complex, so it doesn't seem like it should cause much trouble.

If that's the case, then first of all: Is the soul somehow still an independent entity? Or is it more like the old soul merged with that of the sage's?

In the first case, you can treat the Netherese soul like some sort of companion spirit. A separate entity the sage can communicate with and hold conversations. Potential drawbacks: The Netherese soul could possibly take over the sage's body (treat as an Ego conflict with an intelligent magic item).

In the second case, there sage can have a subconcious reservoir of knowledge and experiences. This could provide him with competence bonuses to various skills or even effects that replicate certain divination spells such as augury or contact other plane. Maybe even special effects tied to locations and objects linked to the Netherese Loremaster's past. Potential drawbacks: Such a reservoir is bound to be disorienting. Any time the sage accesses the reservoir is likely to daze or stun him. Likewise, having absorbed another soul, the personality with that soul will be bound to influence him. He'll probably experience unexplained urges, desires, or emotions that are not what he'd normally feel but instead reflective of the Netherese soul that shares his body. This can either be a simple role-playing tool or perhaps even have in-game effects similar to those of emotion-affecting spells such as crushing despair or rage.