PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Void School Understanding: Worth a feat?

ezekielraiden
2019-02-25, 04:15 PM
I'm playing a gestalt Menhir Savant Druid/Exploiter Wizard (with some PrCs, I know Pathfinder makes them costly but they're worth it/fun enough that I don't care.) Feats are a little tight, but I can do things to adjust that. We're at very high levels now, and I just realized how *powerful* the Void school ability "Reveal Weakness" is, or at least seems to be. No save, no SR (it's supernatural), no attack roll, not based on class level but on caster level(!) with no cap (!!). It does take a Standard so it's costly in terms of actions, but giving a -14 to AC and saves for a round (thank you, CL boosters!) sounds like a *crazy* good debuff to help my allies kick more butt.

So. Since I have very few exploits and feats are (a bit) tight...is this worth a feat? I'm leaning yes but I'm not as experienced with this stuff as I could be.

Edit: Alternatively, is this good enough to consider dropping Potent Magic, since that's "just" an extra +1 CL or +1 DC over the regular effect? I really want to keep Quick Study (as the DM has let me apply it to *all* my spells, not just my Wizard ones).

The Random NPC
2019-02-26, 12:46 AM
-14 to AC may or may not be worth it, but -14 to saves definitely is. Worst case, get a Rod of Quicken and your spell of choice.

Kurald Galain
2019-02-26, 03:57 AM
Oh, -14 to AC is definitely worth it against certain enemies. Situational but powerful.

But while Void School is certainly powerful, it's not as powerful as, say, sixth level spells. If you have CL 28 (and frankly I'm not sure how you're doing that, either) then you should have access to better spells than this ability. Aside from that, school understanding gives you the power "as though she were a 1st-level wizard", meaning it gives only -1 unless you spend a swift action and a reservoir point on it.

ezekielraiden
2019-02-26, 05:38 AM
Oh, -14 to AC is definitely worth it against certain enemies. Situational but powerful.

But while Void School is certainly powerful, it's not as powerful as, say, sixth level spells. If you have CL 28 (and frankly I'm not sure how you're doing that, either) then you should have access to better spells than this ability. Aside from that, school understanding gives you the power "as though she were a 1st-level wizard", meaning it gives only -1 unless you spend a swift action and a reservoir point on it.

Mix of 3.5e and PF. Create magic tattoo, orange prism ioun stone, Archmage Spell Power High Arcana, ring of arcane might, Menhir Savant place magic (sometimes being on without needing to trigger it), and a GM-approved custom item, character level 20. That's 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+20 = 27, so I was a bit off. (I technically have some other tricks on that front, but they aren't sufficiently reliable to invoke all the time.)

Believe me, it's not the most obscene thing in this campaign. I've seen a full attack that required 56 attack rolls.