PDA

View Full Version : Help with a character concept

Yamatohekatsue
2019-02-25, 04:23 PM
Basically what I'm thinking about is a main class of arcane trickster rouge maybe 10 levels with 5 for warlock pact of the blade, and 5 dragon sorcerer
My race is varriant human
My goal is to have spells that supports my sneak attack
So I was going to take sharpshooter as the bonus feat
And as a rouge take crossbow expert, war caster, blade mastery
Warlock I would take mobile
Sorcerer I would take alert

May main focus I want to do is cast darkness as a bonus action while having the warlock's devil sight giving me advantage on attacks to the target and giving me sneak attack, the thirsting blade let's me attack twice so I have a better chance to pull off sneak attacks be them up close or from range
While having access to other spells, and I want to know can I spells warlock spell slots to give sorcery points?
My end goal is to basically have near unlimited spell slots by converting sorcery points into spell slots then converting pact magic slots into sorcery points so that my spell slots, and sorcery points stay full and a short rest fills my pact magic slots
The sorcerer also gives me perm mage armor so 13 plus dex another 3, +1 when using my raiper and having the shield spell to put my ac at 22 at best while being in my darkness spell gives even darkvision users disadvantage against me.
So does this build seem viable or would it over all be lack luster?

ProsecutorGodot
2019-02-25, 04:39 PM
Personally, I think it's a shame to multiclass out of Rogue prior to level 11. Reliable Talent is arguably one of the most powerful class features in the game, especially at the tier of play you get it. Arcane Trickster Rogues will also have an incredibly easy time in making sure they can reliably proc Sneak Attack. They don't need anything other than Mage Hand after 13th level and in most cases the spells they get through their own casting are enough to get them by.

As far as the build being viable, I can't give a concrete answer without knowing your stat distribution. Are you rolling for stats? You seem to be counting on taking a lot of feats and this means your primary stats might not be maxed.

Roughly I can say that it would probably work just fine, depending on where and when you make your split. Since you're a human I would probably take the Warlock levels sooner rather than later for Devil's Sight. I would also recommend a different form of Sorcerer (Either Cloud Giant Soul UA or Divine Soul, both have good 1st level features for Rogues) 13+dex isn't super necessary when you've got light armor proficiency as a Rogue.

EDIT: Also, always go over with your group whether a Darkness+Devil's Sight user is something they want to have around. You could prove to be just as much of a nuisance to them as the enemies.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-25, 05:43 PM
The ideal that you're looking for is Sorcerer 3 + Warlock 5. This is for a few things:

You can only regenerate gain Sorcery Points UP to your maximum, and converting a spell into Sorcery points is converted at a rate equal to the spell's level. So a level 3 spell would grant 3 Sorcery points. You effectively want 2 Warlock Levels per Sorcerer level, to make sure your Warlock spell slots stay within that range.

Once you've hit that, you can start to afford Rogue levels. I wouldn't bother with Arcane Trickster, as you have plenty of casting by this point. Rather, I'd recommend something that doesn't require any additional actions or resources. By going Scout Rogue, you can afford to drop the Warlock 5 to Warlock 3, and use the additional 2 levels as Rogue levels and take advantage of your high mobility. You won't be hindering your allies as much when you're boasting that crazy good mobility, and you can abuse it by getting up in the enemy's face without risk of being surrounded.

If you're intent on not using the Scout then the Arcane Trickster could still be used, but I feel like a lot of its benefits are redundant for someone that already has 8 full caster levels.

Yamatohekatsue
2019-02-26, 04:41 AM
Sorry forgot to explain that I'm playing in Adventure Leauge, and point buying str 8
Dex 13 +1 race
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 15 +1
I'm doing this because as a hex blade I can use charisma in place of dex with use of my daggers but still get to use sneak attack with finesse or ranged weapons
Inhance pact weapon also makes the weapons +1 and I can use light crossbow be long bow, heavy crossbow, or short bow
And thirsting blade gives me extra attack and is why I need the 5th level of warlock.
But I didn't think of the spell points of sorcerer like that so maybe I can drop a level or two in it and add them to rouge

CTurbo
2019-02-26, 07:10 AM
The "problem" with this idea is that you're looking at a level 20 build on paper when in real life not only will you never get there, you'll probably never even get close.

It's a decent idea, but the important question is how would this play and progress from level 1? This setup would take a REALLY long time to "come online"

So yeah it's a fun to talk about, but that's it.

MrStabby
2019-02-26, 08:09 AM
Basically what I'm thinking about is a main class of arcane trickster rouge maybe 10 levels with 5 for warlock pact of the blade, and 5 dragon sorcerer
My race is varriant human
My goal is to have spells that supports my sneak attack
So I was going to take sharpshooter as the bonus feat
And as a rouge take crossbow expert, war caster, blade mastery
Warlock I would take mobile
Sorcerer I would take alert

May main focus I want to do is cast darkness as a bonus action while having the warlock's devil sight giving me advantage on attacks to the target and giving me sneak attack, the thirsting blade let's me attack twice so I have a better chance to pull off sneak attacks be them up close or from range
While having access to other spells, and I want to know can I spells warlock spell slots to give sorcery points?
My end goal is to basically have near unlimited spell slots by converting sorcery points into spell slots then converting pact magic slots into sorcery points so that my spell slots, and sorcery points stay full and a short rest fills my pact magic slots
The sorcerer also gives me perm mage armor so 13 plus dex another 3, +1 when using my raiper and having the shield spell to put my ac at 22 at best while being in my darkness spell gives even darkvision users disadvantage against me.
So does this build seem viable or would it over all be lack luster?

I think that this is "viable" in a broad sense, but it really depends on what you want it to do. There is also a divide between viable and optimal.

So feats first:
Sharpshooter - you are gambling throwing away a LOAD of sneak attack damage using this on attacks. It is better with more lower damage attacks. The ability to avoid cover is pretty good still though. You may find this gets less rather than more useful.

Mobile - great feat. You get cunning action which has a significant overlap. You have 1 attack so mobile is less powerful than for other characters. Also at high levels you are planning to use darkness which will usually stop opportunity attacks.

Crossbow expert - again this clashes with cunning action. What do you want to use your bonus action for? Choice is a good thing, but there are diminishing returns.

As CTurbo commented we want to think about how we get to 20 rather than what things are like when we get there.

Thankfully arcane trickster is awesome and if you are a fairly conventional arcane trickster on your way up you should be fine. However if there is a particular thing you want then you may multiclass early which can leave you a little behind.

Personally I would pick just one of Sorcerer/Warlock (most games I have seen tend to peter out at about level 15 so not a huge issue). Warlock lets you go hexblade which would let you be primarily Cha focussed if you took hexblade first (though this might edge you towards Swashbuckler rather than arcane trickster); wrathful smite is brutal if you can give an enemy disadvantage on that first save. Sorcerer gives you metamagic although you will really be hurting for sorcery points; divine soul gives you a lot more spells to pick from and some of the cleric spells at low level are really powerful (although not always so synergistic or matching your desire to have these spells support your sneak attacking).

My advice is to see which abilities your really, really want and strip that down. Consider them functional rather than how you get them (so the ability to easily disengage from an enemy could come from mobility, cunning action, misty step, quickened invisibility and so on). Consider this minimal frame and then see if this frees up some levels or resources. For example maybe you don't have to be variant human if you don't need so many feats, you can get something with better stat increases or cool racial abilities. Maybe you are just looking for 3rd level warlock to cast darkness but you won't use it in too many combats per day so tiefling or drow magic might save you a level. Consider how you can most quickly assemble these functional pieces and then see what you can add on top that will be most fun/best enhance this framework.

Yamatohekatsue
2019-02-26, 10:37 AM
My build so far is I'm a level 2 rouge, and just got the next level I was thinking of taking my first level of war lock to get my devil sight, and get my pact weapons and become a hex blade so I can curse a target to give myself advantage and sneak attack on it unfortunately the place I joined adventure Leauge I'm already a part of a party and I'm the only non magic user other then a ranger who dumped con and strength and fights with a long bow and group already has a wizard sorcerer and Bard so none are helping me get my sneak attacks and also I'm stuck at the one keeping badies away from then. Basically I'm stuck as the main offincive force but I seem to hold my own so far