PDA

View Full Version : Contest D&D Subclass Contest VII: Well, That's Fortunate

MoleMage
2019-02-25, 04:54 PM
It's time for our next subclass contest! Subclass Contest VII: Well, That's Fortunate

The class must fit the theme of the contest. For our seventh contest, the theme is Luck. Want to make a warlock whose patron is the ever-lucky leprechaun? What about a fighter who always seems to bend over for a coin right as an arrow trap activates? Or how about a sorcerer who uses a combination of magic and birthright to always win games of chance? Do it!
Your class must be posted in this thread. If you wish, you can use external formatting, such as Google Docs or Homebrewery, though I recommend sharing it as a PDF to ensure that it works on most computers.
You may only create one subclass, which must follow the normal progression for the class it belongs to. Please specify what class it is for. You can use any base class published in official material (including the Unearthed Arcana posts), or any existing homebrew class (don't make a whole base class just for your submission). If you are going to use a homebrew base class, make sure you get permission from its original creator and post a link so we know where to find it! Failure to get permission will be grounds for disqualification.
Until the contest is finished, do not publicly post your subclass anywhere else, other than the discussion thread for these contests. If you are found to have done so, that subclass will be disqualified (though you will be allowed to post a new one if you wish, within reason). Privately sharing your work is acceptable.
Your subclass must be complete by 11:59 PM Central Time on Sunday March 24. After that, I will put up a voting thread. Any submissions or edits after that point will be considered invalid. A two-week extension will be implemented if at least three requests are made in the chat thread.
Have fun, be respectful.

Chat thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?559110-D-amp-D-5e-Subclass-Contest-Chat-Thread&p=23722956#post23722956
Voting thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?584137-D-amp-D-Subclass-Contest-VII-Voting-Thread&p=23799948#post23799948

theVoidWatches
2019-02-25, 10:19 PM
Roguish Archetype: The Lucky Scoundrel
Most people think that you have incredible skills, but you know the truth - you're just lucky. The skills they think you have - your ability to find the most deadly places to strike, your sprinting speed, your uncanny ability to find somewhere to hide in any situation - are merely your incredible luck coming out. You've lived in fear of your luck running out and people learning the truth, but that fear is over, because you've realized that luck is a magic all its own. And now that you've learned how to manipulate it, you no longer need to worry that it will ever run out.

Luck Points
Beginning at 3rd level, you gain the ability to share your unnatural luck. As a bonus action, you may grant a number of Luck Points less than or equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) to an ally you can see within 30 feet of you. They may spend all Luck Points granted to them as a reaction whenever they make an Attack Roll or Saving Throw to receive a bonus on their roll equal to the amount of Luck Points they held. They may be spent after rolling, but before the DM tells you the result.
You cannot grant more Luck Points than half of your rogue level (rounded up), and you cannot grant any single ally more Luck Points than your Charisma modifier. For each Luck Point you are currently granting, the extra damage of your Sneak Attack is reduced by 1d6.

Better Lucky than Good
Beginning at 3rd level, your incredible luck helps you no matter what you do. Any time you make an ability check that you do not add your Proficiency Bonus to, you may add a d4 to the result of the check.
Beginning at 9th level, you may add 2d4 to the result of the check.
Beginning at 17th level, you may add 3d4 to the result of the check.

Self-Made Luck
Beginning at 9th level, you have learned how to use your luck more consciously. You may now grant Luck Points to yourself. When you spend Luck Points during your own turn, they count as spent until the end of your turn. Additionally, whenever you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack which benefits from Sneak Attack, you may reroll that die a single time.

Luck of a Traveller
Beginning at 13th level, you can bend your supernatural luck to help decipher things you have no understanding of. You can speak and understand all languages, but require twice as long to communicate in any language that you are proficient in thanks to this feature.

Fool's Luck
Beginning at 17th level, your luck grows to even greater heights. When Luck Points that you have granted are spent on an attack roll or saving throw, the spender gains a +1 bonus to that roll in addition to the bonus granted by the Luck Points. Additionally, the damage of all weapon attacks you make is increased by 2 for each Luck Point that you are currently granting.

nickl_2000
2019-02-26, 12:03 PM
Homebrewry Link if you prefer https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkRpXVHw4

Barbarian Path of Dumb Luck
Some people have a knack for always having things turn out right. They may have the dumbest ideas and plans, and yet somehow by some miracles of the god’s everyone gets out of it with only minor injuries. They always seems to be in the right place, hit just right, and do just the right thing to fix the problem. Many of those people follow the Path of Dumb Luck.

Fortuitous Strike
You have extraordinary luck at striking opponents in just the right place to make it as effective as possible. Starting at 3rd level, whenever you hit a target, you may add 1d4 damage to your attack. When you reach level 10, the damage increases to 2d4.

Bumbling path
At 6th level, you have gained a knack for blundering upon the perfect path through the battlefield. While you are raging, you no longer provoke attacks of opportunity while moving.

Impact Calibration
Starting at 10th level, while you are raging, you can make a skill check with an artisan’s tool by attempting to smash things together really hard. Instead of the standard skill check mod, you may use your Strength Modifier. However, if you roll a 1 on your check you break both the tools and the item you are working on, they cannot be repaired by anything short of a wish spell.
Additionally, you may continue to rage as long as you attempt to make the skill check each round.

Percussive Maintenance (How the heck did that work?)
Starting at level 14, when you are using your Impact Calibration ability, you now apply your proficiency bonus x2 to all skill checks made with artisen.

Serendipitous Senses
Additionally at level 14, while raging you have can block out your normal senses and depend on your fortunes. During that time you close your eyes andignore your other senses. While doing that you seem to always place your feet in the perfect place on the ground to keep your pace and footing. You can move through difficult terrain at normal speed and have advantage against getting knocked prone by environment conditions.
Additionally, during this time you do not get disadvantage for attacking while blind, nor does your opponent gain advantage when attacking you while you are blind.

For the level 3 ability, you are a barbarian. So you need either a boost to offense or defense. For this class I went with offense, but intentionally did it in a way that would work better for critical hits. After all, this subclass is all about dumb luck, why wouldn't it be better. Additionally since the ribbon ability triggers off rage, I made it not work without rage.

The other things I've noticed and don't really like is that barbarian's and fighter's often don't get skills and abilities for the social or the exploration tiers of the game. When I wrote this, I wanted a barbarian to have more for those tiers.

Icecaster
2019-02-28, 10:43 AM
Oath of Fortune
“It was late on a summer night. I was sitting by the fire in a caravan. The only other person awake with me was an old, veteran fighter. He seemed strong, but tired. We sat in silence. Eventually, he spoke to me. Somehow, he knew just by looking at me that I had been on a losing streak, and my luck was always getting worse. He told me if I gave him some of my wine, he’d advise me. Intrigued and frankly desperate, I agreed and handed him the wineskin. He drank deeply, then he wiped his mouth, and his eyes lost any hint of emotion. He gave me advice about life as though it were a game. After that, he drifted off to sleep, and passed away later that night, and I swore I’d follow his advice. I’m not sure what happened, but ever since then I’ve done what he said and my luck has never been better.”
-Jay Springstone, a paladin of fortune

Tenets of Fortune
I’ll give you some advice. You are the physical agent of luck. As such, it is your duty to bring fortune to the unfortunate. You must protect the poor, weak, and downtrodden from any force that would harm them.
Know when to hold'em. You must have faith in yourself and your allies. Press your luck at every opportunity, for fortune favors the bold.
Know when to fold’em. Sometimes, however, fortune will not be enough to see you through. Be mindful of your situation.
There’ll be time enough for countin’. Don’t spend time keeping track of every good deed and sleight while you have a job to do. It is not your place to retaliate or reward for small things; leave that to fortune itself.

Oath Spells
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.

Oath of Fortune Spells
3rd
bane, bless
5th
aid, pass without trace
9th
haste, major image
13th
death ward, greater invisibility
17th
dispel evil and good, mislead

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Shield of Fortune. As a bonus action, you can use your Channel Divinity to invoke luck to protect you from your foes’ weapons and guide your movements just out of harm’s way. For the next minute, you gain a +2 bonus to your AC.
Lucky Break. When you fail an ability check or saving throw, you can use your Channel Divinity to immediately gain a +10 bonus to that roll, potentially turning the failure into a success.

Fortune’s Favored
Also starting at 3rd level, you learn the guidance cantrip if you don’t know it already.

Lucky Aura
Beginning at 7th level, your inherent luck is so powerful that others have a hard time getting an upper hand on you and your allies. You and every creature within 10 feet of you cannot have disadvantage on attack rolls while you are conscious.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Kismet
Starting at 15th level, your luck never seems to run out. You are always under the effects of a bless spell.

Perfect Luck
At 20th level, you have been granted the ability to be able to manipulate luck like an object in front of you for a short amount of time. As an action, you can enter a state of perfect luck for the next minute. At your discretion, during this time, your eyes may glow gold, or flecks of gold may seem to float around you. Alternatively, you can manifest no visual effects, making it impossible to tell that you’ve used this feature. Additionally, you gain the following benefits during this time:

You score a critical hit on a roll of 18, 19, or 20.
Any time you roll a d20 and get a roll of 9 or lower, you can treat that roll as though you had rolled a 10.
You don’t provoke opportunity attacks.
If a creature misses a melee attack against you, they drop their weapon if they have one and fall prone.
You gain proficiency in any skills you aren’t already proficient with. You lose these proficiencies when this feature ends.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-28, 06:20 PM
Sorcerous Origin: Fate Sorcery
Some are born special. Others are just "lucky". You were neither.
Rather, your misfortune was so poor, its source had to come from some curse or cruel trick of destiny, and its cold embrace is a well known mistress to you. But rather than gaining talent to guarantee success, you have learned to tap into the source of fortune itself to create your own victories. Usually, this happens after someone succeeds when virtually all odds, and destiny itself, was waged against you. But who can say what's "supposed" to happen?
Whether out of being luck's conqueror, learning the intricacies of fate magic, or just being someone who's fate finally turned around, you have learned to literally make your own luck.

Twist of Fate: When you take this subclass at level 1, you can redirect randomness on a tiny, cosmic scale. When a roll is made with Advantage or Disadvantage by a creature you can see, you can change that roll to be made with either Advantage or Disadvantage by spending your Reaction.

You regain use of this feature after a Short or Long Rest, or if a creature you can see suffers a Critical Hit.

Fool's Gambit: While you're not wearing armor, you can choose to have your AC be 8 + Charisma. If you do, enemies have Disadvantage to attack you.

Flexible Fortune: At level 6, you can dip into your enemy's fortune for some "borrowed" luck. If a creature makes their Saving Throw when you cast a spell upon them, you can cause all creatures affected by the same spell to automatically succeed their Saving Throw. Doing so ends the spell and allows you to regain Sorcery Points equal to the spell level.
Additionally, when you cast a spell that requires a Saving Throw, you can grant creatures of your choosing to have Advantage on their Saving Throw.

Counterjinx: At level 14, when enemies afflict poor luck upon you, you can spill the same misfortune upon them. When you are hit or when you fail a Saving Throw, you can spend 2 Sorcery Points to change the casting time of a spell from 1 Action to a Reaction and cast it. The spell must target the source of the triggering attack or saving throw, and its level cannot be higher than Spell Level 5. Spells cast this way cannot benefit from your Metamagic features.

At level 18, you can use this feature when either you or an ally within 5 feet of you is hit or fails a saving throw.

You also know Bane and Hellish Rebuke without them counting against your number of spells known, and you can cast these spells without expending a spell slot.

Chosen Outcome: At level 18, spells you cast with a Reaction have Advantage to Attack and their Saving Throws have Disadvantage to save against chosen creatures that you can see.

Vogie
2019-03-01, 10:32 AM
Longshot Conclave

An seemingly stray arrow soars from nowhere, and after bouncing off a guard's shield, comes to rest in another guard's eye. A dagger tossed in the air lands with impossible accuracy, sliding into a thin slit between armor plates. Things tend to work out for those of the Longshot Conclave. With a combination of intense skill and luck-manipulation magic, these rangers are experts in guerilla warfare and turning the tide in their favor.

Expanded Spell List
You learn an additional spell when you reach certain levels in this class. The spells counts as a ranger spell for you, but don't count against the number of ranger spells you know.

Ranger Level
Spells

3rd
Hex

5th
Augury

9th
Bestow Curse

13th
Confusion

17th
Mislead

Implausible Critical
At 3rd level, your ability to hit seems astonishing and uncanny. When you finish a long rest, roll a d20 and record the number rolled. Until you finish your next long rest, whenever you roll that number on a d20 for an attack roll, check or saving throw, you can treat the that roll as a 20.

In addition, the normal and long ranges of ranged and thrown weapons are doubled for you.

Capsize
At 3rd level, your strikes have a chance to disrupt and upset your target. When you score a critical hit with a weapon attack, flip a coin. On tails, the target is knocked prone.

Unsettling Movement
At 7th level, you have a fluid nature that seems supernatural. You can gain one the following benefits of your choice:

Leap to Your Feet: When you're prone, you can stand up by spending 5 feet of movement, rather than half your speed.
Danger Sense: You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps or spells. You do not gain this benefit if you are blinded or incapacitated
Deflect Missile: You can use your reaction to deflect a projectile when you are hit by a ranged weapon attack. When you do so, the damage you take from the attack is reduced by 1d10 + your Dexterity modifier + your ranger level.

Shifting Fate
At 11th level, glimpses of possible futures begin to press in on your awareness. If you are attacked with advantage by a hostile creature, you can use your reaction to cancel the advantage for that roll, storing that advantage as Potential. You can store up to two Potential at any time.
If you have Potential, you can expend it when you make an attack roll, saving throw, ability check, or coin flip. Spending your Potential gives you advantage on that roll or coin flip.

Gambit
At 15th level, you have mastered the ability to press your luck. You have an +5 bonus on initiative rolls, cannot be surprised, and cannot have disadvantage on any roll until the beginning of your second turn. In addition, whenever you roll initiative, flip a coin until you lose a flip, to gain the following effects.

If you win one or more flips, your existing proficiencies are doubled for 1 minute and you can add your normal proficiency bonus to any ability check or saving throw you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus
If you win two or more flips, when you roll damage for a weapon or spell attack for 1 minute, you can reroll the damage dice and use either total
If you win three or more flips, your initiative roll is increased by 9 and you recover 2 spell slots.

sengmeng
2019-03-03, 05:23 PM
Beloved of the Dice

While most subclasses represent specialized training within one's chosen profession, the Beloved of the Dice is one who simply relies on luck, throwing their fate to the winds and just expecting things to turn out well for them... and it almost always does. As an extension of their lack of belief in specialization, the Beloved of the Dice subclass is available to all classes, and actually somewhat rewards those who multiclass and take the subclass multiple times.

Luck Dice
The first time this subclass is taken, the Beloved of the Dice gains one Luck Die, as well as a separate feature based on which class granted the subclass. A Luck Die allows you to "store" a dice any time you roll the maximum on any die roll. The stored Luck Die is the same type as the die that you rolled the maximum on, and other than d20s, it is added to any die roll you wish as a bonus. D20 Luck Dice can only be used on other d20 rolls, and they either cancel disadvantage or grant advantage to any d20 roll. When you take this subclass a second time, whether as the subclass of a new class or the second time gaining it from your original class, you gain two more Luck Die, and the third time you gain it, you gain three Luck Die, and so on. You may also only use as many Luck Die in a single round as you can store and can only add one Luck Die to any die roll. Luck Dice never disappear unless used, and if you have a Luck Die stored and then roll maximum on a higher dice, you may exchange your stored Luck Die for the higher die.

Lucky Streak
The second time you gain the Beloved of the Dice in a single class, in addition to more Luck Dice, you gain the Lucky Streak ability. Any time you roll a d20 with advantage and both dice would have succeeded, you gain advantage on your next d20 roll as well.

Consistent Luck
The third time you gain the Beloved of the Dice subclass in the same class, in addition to more Luck Dice and a class specific feature, you gain the Consistent Luck ability. Any time you roll a 1 when you expend a stored Luck Die, you may reroll it, including if you roll another 1.

Supreme Luck
If you would qualify for Consistent Luck from more than one class, in addition to gaining more Luck Dice you gain the Supreme Luck ability. Any time you roll a 1 on any die roll, you may "burn" a Luck Die to treat it as a roll of the maximum on that die instead. Burning a Luck Die means that the maximum number of Luck Dice you can store is reduced by 1. If you have your maximum number of Luck Dice stored at that point, you choose which one to lose, but otherwise you dont lose a stored Luck Die. Burned Luck Dice are restored after a long rest.

Luck Never Runs Out
The fourth time you gain the Beloved of the Dice subclass in a single class, you gain Luck Never Runs Out. If you roll initiative and don't have any Luck Dice stored, you gain a d20 Luck Die.

CLASS-SPECIFIC FEATURES

Barbarian
Lucky Hit
At 3rd level, you gain the Lucky Hit ability. If you attack with advantage and both rolls were high enough to hit, the attack is a critical hit.

Reckless Luck
At 10th level, you gain Reckless Luck. During a rage, if you are hit by an attack that would drop you to zero hitpoints, you may spend or burn a Luck Die to cancel all damage from that attack.

Bard
Shared Luck
When you use your Bardic Inspiration ability, it may be used to grant advantage instead of adding to the die roll.

Universal Luck
At 14th level, you gain Universal Luck. Bardic Inspiration and Luck Dice become interchangeable for all purposes for you.

Cleric
Luck Domain
At 1st level, you gain the ability to use Channel Divinity to change any die roll to the maximum it could have rolled, which makes an attack into a critical hit or other d20 rolls into automatic successes as appropriate. This does not grant a Luck Die, and can only affect one die if used with advantage or disadvantage.

Blessed Healer/Harmer
At 8th level, if you are good, whenever you cast a spell that heals hitpoint damage, you reroll any 1's, and if you are evil, you reroll any 1's for damage on any spell that deals necrotic damage.

Druid
Savage Luck
At 2nd level, once each time you use Wild Shape, you may treat a single d20 roll as a 20, as long as you are still in animal form.

Naturally Lucky
At 10th level, you gain the ability to burn a stored d20 Luck Die to gain an additional use of Wild Shape (which still benefits from Savage Luck).

Fighter
Precise Luck
On attack rolls, when you roll a 19, you may either treat it as a critical hit, or store that die as a Luck Die as if you rolled a 20.

Lucky Surge
At 10th level, you can spend multiple Luck Dice on a single weapon damage roll, but those dice are burned instead of just expended.

Monk
Lucky Reflexes
At 3rd level, you gain Lucky Reflexes. If you have at least one Luck Die stored, you have advantage on Dexterity saves.

The Headband Thingy
At 11th level, you gain access to the Headband Thingy. You cover you eyes with a blindfold or simply close them before making your first attack on a turn, giving disadvantage on all attack rolls until the beginning of your next turn, but every hit is critical. While using the Headband Thingy, you have advantage on all saves and double your Wisdom bonus to AC from your Unarmored Defense class feature

Paladin
Channel Luck
At 3rd level, you may use Channel Divinity to give advantage on a weapon attack roll with a weapon you are proficient with. This attack adds your proficiency bonus to damage, and if both d20's would have been high enough to hit, the damage type becomes radiant for all damage dealt by the attack, including any bonus damage from a magic weapon or any other class feature.

Blessed Luck
At 3rd level, you may use Channel Divinity to reroll any saving throw, after the die is rolled but before you know whether it passed or failed.

Aura of Fortune
At 15th level, any time a creature you consider an ally rolls a saving throw within 60 feet of you, you may roll the same save, and they can use either result.

Ranger
Against the Odds
At 3rd level, you gain Against the Odds
If you succeed on an attack roll with disadvantage, it is automatically a critical.

Press Your Luck
At 11th level, any time you get a critical hit, you gain an additional attack with that same weapon at the same attack bonus, in addition to any other bonus damage or effect from the critical. This bonus attack may be directed at the same or another opponent. The bonus attack can also benefit from Press Your Luck. It does not count as using your bonus action.

Rogue
Lucky Bastard
At third level, any d6 Luck Die can be used to grant advantage on an attack roll.

Astounding Luck
You may use any Luck Die to cancel disadvantage.

Sorcerer
Luck Magic
At 1st level, you gain Luck Magic. If you roll a 20 on a spell attack roll, you may choose to store a Luck Die or not consume the spell slot that was used to cast the spell. In the case of a cantrip, you may either store a Luck Die or double the damage. If it does not deal damage, then this ability has no effect on it.

Hexed Spell
At 10th level, when you cast a spell, you may either expend a d20 Luck Die, or 3 Sorcery Points to cause any target who fails their saving throw to have disadvantage on saving throws and attack rolls until the end if its next turn.

Warlock
Pact of Fate
At 1st level, when making a spell attack roll you gain a d20 Luck Die on a roll of 19 or 20.

Doom Spell
At 10th level, if you cast a spell that requires a saving throw, you may spend a Luck Die to give a target disadvantage on their save.

Wizard
School of Luck
At 2nd level, when you prepare spells, you may prepare one less spell than your maximum. You may then spend or burn a Luck Die to cast one spell you know but have not prepared, consuming a slot of its level or higher as normal. You may do this once per long rest.

Lucky Spell
At 10th level, you choose a spell of up to the highest level you know. Any time you cast that spell, you may enhance it with any one Luck Die you have stored, without expending that die.

Kingsluger
2019-03-07, 06:56 PM
Well I went with something I thought would be interesting and a bit "experimental". There's a lot that needs to be done on wording in particular for a couple of the features but I hope it's at least understandable. I present to you the Gambler Warlock Patron.

I found myself at a new low on a warm summer's eve, riding a train bound for nowhere in particular. It was there that I met the gambler. It was evident we were both too far from home and far too tired to catch some rest. We took turns just staring out into the darkness beyond our train car until boredom crept into our minds and he spoke up. "Son, I've made a life out of readin' people's faces..." He said in a voice like gravel that sent shivers up my spine. "...knowin' what the cards were by the way they held their eyes. So if you don't mind me sayin', I can see you're out of aces. For a taste of your whiskey, I'll give you some advice."

The Gambler Warlock Patron

Expanded Spell List
The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Disguise Self, Inflict Wounds

2nd
Detect Thoughts, Blindness/Deafness

3rd
Animate Dead, Fireball

4th
Phantasmal Killer, Wall of Fire

5th
Flame Strike, Seeming

Deck of Cards
Starting at 1st level, you lose any warlock spell slots you have and cannot gain any more through any means. Instead, you gain a deck of playing cards which consists of the 2 and 3 cards of each suite of cards. Whenever you complete a short or long rest, you may draw cards from the top of your deck until you have a number of cards equal to the number on the spell slots column + 1 in your hand. Additionally, whenever you complete a long rest, you may choose to return all of the cards in your hand to your deck before proceeding to draw normally as you would after a rest. The cards you draw function as your spell slots, allowing you to use a card to cast a spell equal to a level noted in the card table below. Once you use a card to cast a spell, return it to your deck. As you gain levels in this class, more cards are added into your deck. Add each 4 and 5 card into your deck at 3rd level, add each 6 and 7 card into your deck at 5th level, add each 8 and 9 card into your deck at 7th level and add the 10 and Ace card into your deck at 9th level. You may only use ace cards to upcast spells of 5th level or lower.

Card Number
Spell Slot Level

2-3
1st

4-5
2nd

6-7
3rd

8-9
4th

5th

Ace
6th

Additionally, each of the cards suits is bound to two schools of magic as noted in the card suit table below. If you use a card to cast a spell that is of a school of magic which the card's suit is not bound to, any attack rolls made by the spell are made at disadvantage and any saving throws which the spell causes are made at advantage.

Card Suit
Magic Schools

Hearts
Necromancy, Enchantment

Spades
Abjuration, Evocation

Clubs
Transmutation, Conjuration

Diamonds
Divination, Illusion

If you ever lose these cards, you may spend an hour performing a ritual to replace them.
At 10th this ability improves. Whenever you draw cards from your deck after a short rest, you may set aside a number of cards from your hand up to an amount equal to your charisma modifier. Return the cards set aside to the bottom of your deck and draw an equal number of cards from the top.

Poker Face
Beginning at 6th level, you have advantage on charisma (deception) checks and wisdom (insight) checks to tell if someone is lying. Additionally, once per short or long rest, you may choose automatically pass any saving throws against spells which attempt to read your mind or force you to tell the truth.

Pair
At 10th level, whenever you cast a spell using a card, you may also discard another card of the same number (if you have one in your hand) back into your deck. When you do this, the triggering spell is treated as if it were cast with a spell slot one level higher than it was. (Example: Casting fireball with a 6 card and returning another 6 card in your hand to your deck to upcast fireball with a 4th level spell slot)

Double or Nothing
Beginning at 14th level, whenever you score a critical on an attack roll, you may choose to re-roll the attack. If the re-rolled attack hits, you deal quadruple the amount of damage dice instead of double the amount on the attack. You may attempt this a number of times equal to your charisma modifier (minimum 1) per long rest.

Overall I went for the style of an old west mage that relies on luck to get their spells, inspired by the huckster's of Deadlands. Draw a hand of cards and deal with the cards you got whether they be good, bad or ugly.

SleeplessWriter
2019-03-08, 03:27 AM
Rogue: The Fatethief

Cursed Fate
“Fate thinks you should succeed. I disagree.”

At 3rd level you gain the ability to curse a creature within 30 feet of you that can hear you talking as an action. It must make a wisdom saving throw against your cursed fate DC or become cursed. When a creature is cursed in this way it has your choice of disadvantage on the first attack roll, ability check, or saving throw before the beginning of each of your turns for 1 minute or until you end this as a bonus action.You may change which type of roll a cursed creature has disadvantage on as a bonus action on your turn. If a cursed creature fails one of these rolls when the higher of the two rolls would have succeeded you may gain a luck die.
Your cursed fate DC is equal to 8 + Your Proficiency Bonus + Your Charisma Modifier.
You may only attempt cursing a creature a number of times equal to your charisma modifier, and you regain any expended uses at the end of a short or long rest.

Stolen Strands
“They say our fate is woven on a loom: well I have a few of its strands wrapped around my finger.”

Also at 3rd level you gain the ability to store your stolen luck, represented as a pool of d4s. At 13th level they increase to d6s. You may store up to half your level (rounded up) of luck dice per short or long rest total, whether unspent from before a previous rest or gained since your last rest.
Whenever you make an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw you may expend a luck die and add it to that roll. You may do so after you see the roll, but before the DM tells you the result.

Fateful Words
“You claim you are unstoppable because fate says so? Because it is your destiny to conquer this land and rule with an iron fist for the next century? Well I have already told fate what I will tell you: you will fail.”

At 9th level when you attempt to curse a creature you may spend a number of luck dice and choose to instead speak to it (even if it does not understand you) for 1 minute before forcing it to make the wisdom saving throw. On a failure the creature is cursed for a number of hours equal to the number of dice spent.

Stolen Prophecy
“When I was a young girl a seer visited my village. He told a boy that he would become a dragonslayer. When I asked the seer what I would become he said I would remain what I was: a penniless beggar in the mud. I decided I would take the fate I wanted. The dragonslayer: bakes bread in a monastery. The dragon: his claws are my favorite accessory at dinner parties.”

At 13th level you gain the ability to steal a glimpse of your cursed victims fate, before you stole it from them. Once per short rest you may cast augury as a ritual, but instead of for yourself you must inquire after the future of one of the targets of your cursed fate feature since the end of your last short or long rest, receiving nothing if the target never intended to take that action. If you attempt the same course of action you may spend 2 luck dice to receive the same fortune the creature would have, even if that may not be as fortunate for you.

Prophetic Curse
“*Infernal*After you leave here you will rush into the tavern and challenge the knight to a duel. You will draw it out and keep him there for the next hour.*Infernal*”
“What was that?”
“Nothing. Just a chant to begin the ritual. Now, what would you like to know of your future?”

At 17th level you’ve gained the ability to twist the luck you’ve stolen into a counterfeit prophecy when you spend luck dice to curse a creature. While you are speaking to the creature to use your fateful words ability your words become a prophecy for the creature to fulfill while it is cursed. After you successfully curse the target you may spend 2 luck dice to force it to fulfill the prophecy to the best of its ability. Any time fulfilling the prophecy would obviously bring harm to the creature it may repeat the saving throw and end the curse on itself on a success.
You may only use this ability once per long rest.

Oubliette
2019-03-09, 02:55 AM
Monk: Way of the Chance Dancer

Monks of the Way of the Chance Dancer are those who through meditation and inner serenity have gained a measure of prescience, which they use to shape the battlefield in their favor. They learn techniques to anticipate opponents and manipulate them into situations where coincidence and action together hamper their every move.

Eye of the Mind Technique
Starting when you choose this tradition at third level, you gain the ability to peer into a foe's near future as your ki melds with theirs. When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike, you may spend 1 ki point and roll a d20. Once before the end of your next turn, when the target makes an attack, causes a creature to make a saving throw, or is targeted by an attack, you may use this die as the rolled result.
In addition, you gain the guidance cantrip if you do not already know it.

Chance-Dancing
At 6th level, you gain the ability to see all of the possibilities of incoming attacks and to move to create exploitable openings. While your patient defense feature is active, you may move 5 feet whenever an attack misses you. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks. In addition, if the attacking creature is no more than one size larger and the triggering attack was a melee attack, you may use your reaction to move them up to 10 feet, as long as their movement ends within 5 feet of you. This movement does provoke opportunity attacks.

Echoing Providence
By 11th level, you have mastered the art of turning one lucky break into another. When you successfully land a critical hit, you may spend 2 ki points. If you do, all attacks against the target are made with advantage until the start of your next turn.

Manifestation of Serendipity
At 17th level, you gain the ability to reshape the very concept of luck in the favor of your allies through a moment of deep meditation. As an action, you may spend 4 ki points to momentarily reshape the fates of those around you within a 60-foot radius. Until the start of your next turn, up to 6 friendly creatures within range gain the benefits of a bless spell, and up to six hostile creatures within range must make Wisdom saving throws at the start of each of their turns. The DC is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier. If it fails, they waste their action due to sudden misfortune.

MoleMage
2019-03-14, 02:17 PM
Druid: Circle of Omens
The future is not set in stone, but the stones reveal the future. If you know how to ask them.

Omens are tricky things, and few understand that truth better than druids. Most read them only with the aid of magic, much as a cleric would, but the druids of the Circle of Omens make the study and manipulation of omens their focus. With their greater understanding, they know that omens don't represent the future, but rather a world of probabilities, and that rather than specific events, omens represent simple good and bad fortune for a given subject. As their training progresses, they even learn to redirect the fortune claimed by an omen to a new subject, allowing them to cast bad omens at their foes and draw good omens to their allies.

Reader of Omens
When you first join this circle at 2nd level, you learn to read two types of Omens from the list at the end of this Circle. As an action on your turn, you can select a target you can see and attempt to read their fortune in any one of the omens you know. Flip a coin. If the coin comes up heads, the omen is good (weal), and that target receives bonuses. If the coin comes up tails, the omen is bad (woe), and that target receives penalties. Regardless of whether the omens are good or bad, the effects last for one minute. You may attempt to read the omens a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1) plus 2. You regain all uses upon completing a long rest. If you do not like the omen you received, you may expend a second use of this feature to reverse the result of the coin. No creature can be affected by more than one omen at a time.

You learn an additional omen at 6th, 10th, and 14th level. Whenever you learn an additional omen, you may also swap out an omen you know for a different one.

Fatecaster
At 6th level, whenever you read a creature's omens, you may additionally attempt to affect them with your magic. Whenever you use your Reader of Omens feature, you may additionally attempt to affect the target with a druid spell you know as a bonus action, which must have a normal casting time of one action and be capable of targeting a single creature other than yourself. You must expend spell slots as normal in order to cast this spell..

Omensight
At 10th level, your eyes cloud as you see more of the world beyond, a side effect of long practice with omens. You can sense magical auras as if concentrating on the detect magic spell at all times. Whenever you use your action to identify magical auras with this ability, you also learn their general effects.

Omen Twister
At 14th level, you can bend the omens you read, choosing the negative ones to apply to your enemies and the positive to apply to your allies. You may now flip the coin before choosing a target.

Each of the following omens indicates what must be near the target or provided by the druid in order to read their omen, as well as their additional effect for being used.

Omen of Sky The omen of sky is read by observing the behavior of birds, flying insects, and clouds in the area around the target.

Weal: The target takes minimum damage from falling, and their armor class against ranged attacks is increased by 2. Whenever they make a ranged attack during this time, the druid can use their reaction to increase the damage of that attack by 1d4. This improves to 1d6 at 6th level, 1d8 at 10th level, and 1d10 at 14th level.
Woe: The target takes maximum damage from falling. Additionally, they must make a Wisdom saving throw each time they make a ranged attack. On a failure, they have disadvantage on that attack and the druid may use their reaction to cause it to deal half damage.

Omen of Waters The omen of waters is read by observing tides, river flows, tide ripples, or any other natural or artificial water surface.

Weal: The target's movement speeds all increase by 5 feet. Additionally, they gain a swim speed equal to their new land speed (unless they already possess a better swim speed), and can hold their breath for twice as long as normal.
Woe: The target's movement speeds all decrease by 5 feet. Additionally, they must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failure, their swim speed (if any) is halved, they have disadvantage on Strength(Athletics) checks made to swim, and they can hold their breath half as long as normal.

Omen of Beasts The omen of beasts is read through the sacrifice of a small animal or effigy.

Weal: The target gains 2 temporary hit points at the start of each of their turns. This improves to 3 temporary hit points at 6th level, 4 temporary hit points at 10th level, and 5 temporary hit points at 14th level.
Woe: The target has disadvantage on Constitution ability checks. Beginning at 10th level, they also have disadvantage on Constitution saving throws.

Omen of Trees The omen of trees is read by observing the wind in tree branches near the target.

Weal: The target's armor class against melee attacks is increased by 2, and they cannot be knocked prone by spells or effects.
Woe: The target's initiative score is decreased by 5. As a reaction at the end of the target's turn, the druid can force them to make a Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target cannot take Reactions until the start of their next turn.

Omen of Grains The omen of grains is read by pouring out a vessel filled with grain, sand, rice, or a similar small object.

Weal: The target's weapon attack rolls receive a +2 bonus to hit. If they strike with a melee attack, the Druid can use their reaction to increase the damage of that attack by 1d4. This improves to 1d6 at 6th level, 1d8 at 10th level, and 1d10 at 14th level.
Woe: The target has disadvantage on Dexterity ability checks. Beginning at 10th level, they also have disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws.

Omen of Smoke The omen of smoke is read by observing the smoke coming from a fire near the target.

Weal: The target's initiative score is increased by 5. When they are targeted by an opportunity attack, the druid can use their reaction to make that attack miss.
Woe: The target's weapon attacks have a -2 penalty to hit. When they deal damage with a melee weapon attack, the druid can use their reaction to halve that damage.

Omen of Stars The omen of stars is read by observing the position and visibility of the stars at night.

Weal: The saving throw DC of any spells or features possessed by the creature is increased by 2. If they cast a spell which deals damage in this time, the druid may use their reaction to convert half of that damage to radiant damage.
Woe: The target has disadvantage on Wisdom ability checks. Beginning at 10th level, they also have disadvantage on Wisdom saving throws.

Omen of Bones The omen of bones is read by casting specially marked bones, often the knucklebones of a magical being.

Weal: The target has advantage on ability checks which they are proficient in.
Woe: The target has disadvantage on Strength, Intelligence, and Charisma ability checks. Beginning at 10th level, they also have disadvantage on Strength, Intelligence, and Charisma saving throws.

Fnissalot
2019-03-15, 08:29 AM
College of the Bold
Bards of the College of the Bold walk the fine line between bravery and folly. They are taught that history never remembered the cowards and fortune still favors the bold. Their opponents will blame luck and flukes when these bards thrash away in a tavern brawl, flourish in duels or charge along the frontline of battle. Those bards would disagree. Luck is nothing more than what opportunity you create for yourself. It requires planning and taking risks. When you believe yourself lucky, you have neglected that misfortune is waiting for its toll. The key teaching of the College of the Bold is the instinct of when fortune is worth the risk of misfortune.

Bonus Proficiencies
When you join the College of the Bold at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons and with Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell.

Fortune’s Returning Favors
Also at 3rd level, you have fought foolishly enough to know that most opponents let down their guard when their strikes connect. When you are hit by a melee attack, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against that creature. If your attack hits, roll damage normally and additionally reduce the incoming attack's damage by the amount of damage you dealt. If it misses, you gain vulnerability to the damage from the incoming attack. Before you roll the attack roll, you may expend a bardic inspiration and add it to your attack roll.

In the Face of Danger
Starting at 6th level, you have understood that feeling fear is the only way to be brave. When you have disadvantage on your attack roll, it scores critical hits on rolls of 17-20. In addition, scoring a critical hit when frightened ends the condition.

Ballad of the Boldest Fools
At the 14th level, your ballads excite your comrades to stand against the terrors they face. When your current hit points are less than or equal to half of your maximum hit points rounded down, you can use Countercharm as a bonus action. In addition, any friendly creature that is affected by the Countercharm can use your feature Fortune’s Returning Favours as if they had it. A creature must be able to hear you to gain this benefit. The benefit lasts until the end of your next turn, but it ends early if you are Incapacitated, silenced, or if you voluntarily end it (no action required).
Edit:
Rewritten to fix ambiguity.
Fortune's Returning Favour
-Changed the trigger just be melee attacks since that includes most, if not all, touch spell attacks.
-Changed the reaction spell to not require an attack roll.
- Clarified wording, streamlined it to only allow attacks
In the Face of Danger
- Now triggers from any disadvantage on attacks instead of only from disadvantage due to being frightened.
- Balanced it out a bit as it probably was way overpowered. Removed turning disadvantage to advantage.
Ballad of the Boldest Fools
- Mostly rewritten; Old: "Any friendly creature that has one of your bardic inspirations can use your feature Fortune’s Returning Favours as if they had it. If they do, they must spend the bardic inspiration as part of that attack roll. In addition, other friendly creatures that has one of your bardic inspirations are immune to being frightened."

Ivellius
2019-03-18, 04:17 PM
Cleric Class Option: The Destiny Domain
"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves." - some guy named Billy Shakespeare

Luck is a fickle thing, and, well, some of the gods claim that there really isn't any such thing after all. All of you mortals down there? They've got a plan for you, and there's really nothing you can do about it. What you call lucky is really just someone they love, while another's misfortune is their wrath made known. Some say even the gods themselves are unable to fight their own fates, chosen as they were ahead of time.

Me? Well, the gods have given me the power to ensure that luck bends the way we need it to, so it all goes according to plan.

Destiny Domain Spells
1st – command, compelled duel
3rd – augury, suggestion
5th – bestow curse, remove curse
7th – compulsion, divination
9th – commune, geas
Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with Insight and History checks and heavy armor.

Omen of Peril
Also at 1st level, you can gain a momentary glimpse into the future, providing guidance to provide quicker reactions in a moment of peril. When you roll for initiative and are not surprised, you can grant yourself or a single ally within 30 feet of you advantage on their initiative roll. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Channel Divinity: Name Fate
At 2nd level, you can utter a brief prayer of misfortune to curse your foes. When a creature that you can see within 30 feet of you makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll, you can use your Channel Divinity as a reaction to subtract 1d8 + your Wisdom modifier (minimum of 0) from the roll. You can choose to use this feature after the creature makes its roll, but before the DM determines whether the attack roll or ability check succeeds or fails, or before the creature deals its damage.

Channel Divinity: Call for Aid
At 6th level, you can appeal for divine aid in the face of danger, Whenever you take damage that reduces you to less than one-half of your maximum hit points (but not killed outright), you can use your Channel Divinity as a reaction to imbue yourself with divine protection. You immediately gain temporary hit points equal to your cleric level and, for 1 round, have resistance to nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage and advantage on all saving throws. Additionally, on your next turn, you can use augury as a bonus action without requiring any components. The course of action about which you are asking must be able to be communicated in a single round.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, once on each of your turns you can infuse your strikes with power from the Fates, causing a melee weapon attack or unarmed strike to deal an extra 1d8 force damage. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Master of Destiny
At 17th level, you can gain advantage on any d20 roll you make. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once) but no more than once per round. You regain all expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Edited 3/21: Added the augury rider on Call for Aid.
Edited 3/24: Changed Name Fate to remove the saving throws penalty.

MoleMage
2019-03-25, 11:21 AM
Creations are done, it's time to vote!

Voting thread is here! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?584137-D-amp-D-Subclass-Contest-VII-Voting-Thread&p=23799948#post23799948)

MoleMage
2019-04-08, 10:54 AM
Alright everyone, the voting period has ended and our results are here!

IIIIIN Third place, we have that Druid Circle which can read the upcoming luck as easily as looking at birds. With 6 points, it's MoleMages druidic Circle of Omens.

In Second Place, we have nothing, in keeping with the tiebreaker rules established in the last thread, because...

In First place, we have an official tie! As both Man_Over_Game and Oubliette submitted votes, and as each of them had the same number of 1st-rank votes (3), each of them takes their highly respectable 13 (again with 13?) points into a first place tie! Named in chronological order of submission, our first place subclasses are Man_Over_Game's Fate Sorcery sorcerous origin (Twist Advantage! Cast spells as a Reaction!) and Oubliette's monk Way of the Chance Dancer (Roll for your enemies! Use prescience to shape luck!).

Congratulations to both of our first place winners!

Meanwhile, in the next contest discussion, we had an overwhelming rally around Something Borrowed in the home stretch, so look for that contest shortly. And our runner up this time is The Pen is Mightier than the Sword, so you'll have the chance to vote for it again next time.

Voting has concluded for this contest. Congratulations to our winners!