PDA

View Full Version : Variant 3.5e Crafting System

cassal
2019-02-25, 06:33 PM
Do you use a variant crafting system for dnd 3.5? If so what system do you use?

I'm starting up a new campaign soon and want to give the players the ability to craft items instead of bartering/looting them. The core crafting system is just too cumbersome, and takes too long to craft things. I am aware of the craft point system and that's definitely the kind of direction I want to go, but the hard number of craft points is undesirable. It limits and to a certain degree prevents the players from experimenting and finding the right items the player want/need.

unseenmage
2019-02-26, 08:26 AM
Our table uses Pathfinder's Alternate Crafting rules (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/alternate-crafting-rules/). They are still a bit cumbersome to learn but their actual use seems easier.

Malphegor
2019-02-26, 09:33 AM
I always feel things would be more fun (for the DM at least) if there was no crafting feats, and they were assigned semi-arbitary price-based DCs to beat, but I haven't tested this out or anything. allows for a 'you've got 3 days to save the world, you're crafting the Sword of Ultimate Swordery, but... you hit it too hard, it's too brittle! The sword shatters upon your anvil"

Ruethgar
2019-02-27, 12:44 PM
Not an entire crafting system, but I had a homebrew adjustment that let you specialize in a craft and get a daily craft point up to your craft ranks*2 so you didn't need downtime for most mundane items but still needed it for magical ones. It was mostly meant for alchemy and of course things above potential carrying capacity were disallowed. Of course you can spend all your craft points on a stone bridge across the chasm Mr. Mason. This did make for some occasional interesting uses like a carpenter who suddenly had a barrel to hide in and the weaponsmith decided his worked like Erza from Fairy Tail and was "summoning" spear-like weapons constantly even if they were weaker than her main pole-arm.