PDA

View Full Version : Can Druid elementals use shields?

Provo
2019-02-26, 12:50 AM
Wildshape allows you to use your items if reasonable for your new shape. Considering that elementals are depicted with a roughly humanoid shape, does it seem reasonable for elementals to maintain use of shields?

I know you should ask your DM, but I’m interested in your opinions. Is there anything in the RAW that strongly suggests a “yes” or a “no”?

MaxWilson
2019-02-26, 01:10 AM
Wildshape allows you to use your items if reasonable for your new shape. Considering that elementals are depicted with a roughly humanoid shape, does it seem reasonable for elementals to maintain use of shields?

I know you should ask your DM, but I’m interested in your opinions. Is there anything in the RAW that strongly suggests a “yes” or a “no”?

Sounds reasonable to me. Ditto for Giant Apes actually, come to think of it.

From a pure RAW perspective, "You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature," but the text is silent on weapon and armor proficiencies. However, it does say, "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so," and armor proficiency typically comes from your class, so... as long as it's not a metal shield you should still be proficient.

Aaedimus
2019-02-26, 01:12 AM
Pretty sure it's not RAI, and I think the fire elemental would have the biggest issues, if the shield is wooden. Also, you'd have to rule if the shield had any effect for creatures that you share a space with, due to that being one of their abilities.

The issue is that air water and fire elementals are not physical.
Salamanders are elementals, as are Xorn, Mephits, Gargoyles, and earth Elementals. Those should probably have less issues with the ruling than th ed fire elemental

RAW though there's nothing stopping you except DM