PDA

View Full Version : Using Metamagic feat

Itaic
2019-02-26, 09:24 AM
Hi,

If i want to persist divine favor spell (1st level spell) for example, do i need to be at least 13th level cleric because the persist spell feat use spell slot 6 levels higher ? or i'm missing something here?
It dosen't seems right - to persist first level spell you need to be 13 level cleric.
If its true how can you persist 5th level spell? Theres only 9th level spell and with the persist feat it will be 5+6= 11 spell level slot

Rebel7284
2019-02-26, 09:29 AM
Yes, normally you would need to be an epic character with Improved Spell Capacity epic feat to Persist high level spells. However, there are a number of ways in D&D to reduce or eliminate the higher level slot cost of metamagic. On clerics in particular, Divine Metamagic is the most common way.

DdarkED
2019-02-26, 09:30 AM
there are ways to lower the spell slot adjustment of meta magic, mostly feats and possibly some class features from prcs. persist is VERY powerful, hence its cost.

KillianHawkeye
2019-02-26, 10:04 AM
Who would have ever thought that you need to be a pretty powerful spellcaster to make a short spell last all day? Shocking! :smallsigh:

Ruethgar
2019-02-26, 10:35 AM
Having Sanctum and Earth Spell as a level 17 Cleric lets you cast spell levels up to 11, letting you take Extra Slot for a 10th, there are probably other ways, but I can't pull them off the top of my head. Metamagic and You A Thesis (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=972.0), is a good resource I like to use when dealing with metamagic. Easy Metamagic, Practiced Metamagic, Divine Metamagic are the three more clearly official feats that help mitigate metamagic adjustment. If the grey area of Dragonlance/Kalamar/Ravenloft etc is available, Undead Battery can rival Divine Metamagic with the right build and Miser With Magic is quite potent with a spontaneous caster using a lot of metamagic since most don't increase the level, only the slot. So a Persisted first level spell cast by a sorcerer with a +5 Cha could be retrieved with a simple DC 12 Spellcraft check five times since it is a level 1 spell, but you would get back a 7th level slot each time.