PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Complete List of DnD 3.5 Source Books

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-02-26, 11:45 AM
I have argued with my friend and DM about what 3.5 source material is classified as SOURCE. There are multiple different collections of Items, feats, and Monsters that I would like access to, but he classifies them as "Non-existent", because they are not on the one list that he deems as "Source". I was just wondering how you identify what material is classified as usable for a strictly non-homebrew campaign. Or, where you find the list of allowable books and materials.

Sadly, I don't have enough posts on this site to put a URL in here, but if you look up the Reddit Post by Dramastic Star, posted on July 13th, 2015, updated most recently a few days ago.

Mike Miller
2019-02-26, 12:03 PM
It should be up to the group, what books are used. However, the DM has final say since the majority of the work falls to the DM.

DeTess
2019-02-26, 12:10 PM
It should be up to the group, what books are used. However, the DM has final say since the majority of the work falls to the DM.

This very much. Just because WoTC printed something doesn't mean your DM has to allow it. There's also plenty of grey areas, such as the dragonlance books or Dragon magazine. That having been said, anything with the wizards of the coast logo, dungeons and dragons name and indication that it's for the edition you're playing is generally first party and would generally be fair game balance-wise (because WOTC never made an unbalanced supplement).

So, in other words, if the DM says that something that's clearly been made by WoTC is 'homebrew' or 'third party', they're wrong. If they state that their campaign isn't using that book, that's their right.

Troacctid
2019-02-26, 01:19 PM
A list of books can be found at the bottom of any of the consolidated lists on the official website. http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/class&tablesort=1