PDA

View Full Version : Monster Mounts / Familiars

Cheesegear
2019-02-26, 05:38 PM
Quick and easy questions;

Our group has finally leveled to the point where PHB Warhorses with 19 HPs can go unconscious (or just straight up die) in one hit, and we're looking to start going on quests (either individually or as a group, depending on the CR) to start making pacts and steal eggs.

Is there a list anywhere of Monsters that are ride-able?
Ditto. But for Wizard Familiars. Find Familiar just doesn't cut it anymore...Apparently. Or just look at Chain Pact stuff. Is that as good as it gets?

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-26, 05:43 PM
Quick and easy questions;

Our group has finally leveled to the point where PHB Warhorses with 19 HPs can go unconscious (or just straight up die) in one hit, and we're looking to start going on quests (either individually or as a group, depending on the CR) to start making pacts and steal eggs.

Is there a list anywhere of Monsters that are ride-able?
Ditto. But for Wizard Familiars. Find Familiar just doesn't cut it anymore...Apparently. Or just look at Chain Pact stuff. Is that as good as it gets?

I'd assume the list of ride-able creatures are the creatures available on the Find Steed/Find Greater Steed list.

Likely, what you're looking for is this line in FGS: "the spirit takes on a form you choose: a griffon, a pegasus, a peryton, a dire wolf, a rhinoceros, or a saber-toothed tiger." Considering the fact that a RHINOCEROS is an option, I'd say that this is the most lenient of mount lists you're going to find before going off on someone's homebrew list of absurdity.

From there, look at the Mounted Combatant feat and the Barding rules in the Equipment/Vehicles section of the game.

Cheesegear
2019-02-26, 06:49 PM
I'd assume the list of ride-able creatures are the creatures available on the Find Steed/Find Greater Steed list.

Where do Wyverns, Manticores and Nightmares come in?
There's a bunch of Large creatures in the MM. A Displacer Beast is Large with 18 STR, so could probably carry a Humanoid, especially with the rule that you can pick it up as a Pet, and it's intelligent/trainable.
Stealing Dragon eggs is mentioned in the PHB.

I've done a few Google searches, and no-one seems to have gone through the MM to find all the Creatures that have those subtle rules; At least Large Size (or Medium, where applicable), strong enough, and intelligent/tamable - some of them even have explicit 'Servant/Mount' rules.

Maybe I'll just go through the MM myself, right?

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-26, 06:54 PM
Where do Wyverns, Manticores and Nightmares come in?
There's a bunch of Large creatures in the MM. A Displacer Beast is Large with 18 STR, so could probably carry a Humanoid, especially with the rule that you can pick it up as a Pet, and it's intelligent/trainable.
Stealing Dragon eggs is mentioned in the PHB.

I've done a few Google searches, and no-one seems to have gone through the MM to find all the Creatures that have those subtle rules; At least Large Size (or Medium, where applicable), strong enough, and intelligent/tamable - some of them even have explicit 'Servant/Mount' rules.

Maybe I'll just go through the MM myself, right?

Ah, right. Those kinds of mounts.

Tried to do a little digging myself, but I couldn't find much. This might help, though: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/57930/how-long-would-it-take-to-raise-a-wyvern/86928#86928