PDA

View Full Version : Help with Naga character

werescythe
2019-02-26, 06:48 PM
So I am playing a DND game where I am a Naga from a distant land (using the far Traveler background) who is seen this more humanoid region for the first time. I am wanting her to be naive of this new setting, and so I wanted to explore the idea of what customs a civilized snake civilization might have.

What kind of culture would she have?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Ventruenox
2019-02-27, 11:32 AM
What's this? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLvvkTbHjHI) If you are pulling from Amonkhet (https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/amonkhet/story), that is obviously the starting place. Insert any number of ancient Egyptian tropes. You could also draw from Xanathar's chapter of the Yuan-Ti.

Offhand though, I imagine a civilization without stairs.

JackPhoenix
2019-02-27, 02:52 PM
Ask your GM, because it's definitely not D&D naga, so he should give you some informations about what his nagas are like.

Ganymede
2019-02-27, 03:00 PM
"This is such a lovely tavern! but where do you keep your warm lounging stones?"

"Why do you smash up your food with your mouth before you swallow it?"

"Please excuse me, but I need to use the molting chamber."

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-27, 03:04 PM
There's not a lot on Naga culture or societies. They're mostly temple guardians more than anything. They are, however, cousins to the Yuan-Ti, made by the same Creator, so their societies are likely very similar.

Nagas can range from anywhere on the alignment scale, and they liked to research magic.

DarkKnightJin
2019-02-27, 04:20 PM
My Naga Paladin is based off of a Khajit-like desert nomad tribe. With people in general being distrusting of the actual snake people.

Even though he is nothing bit friendly and helpful.
And a tiny bit 'racist' because he thought people this far from home would be more open to his kind.

Haven't played him too much yet, so the meat and potatoes of any culture and backstory hasn't been revealed to me yet.

I phrase it like that, because most characters start out as a gimmick, and flesh themselves out as the campaign progresses.

MagneticKitty
2019-02-27, 04:38 PM
One of the books I read had hawk people and snake people. Where the hawks were distant and professional, the snakes were highly social. (The books are called hawksong, and snakecharm)
They expressed themselves socially with more physical contact (hugging) they enjoyed dance and song. They had no personal space bubble and would hold hands with friends. Coming into a standard setting other races might think they were being hit on.

Otherwise you can pick an existing culture that's strange to where you're from and mirror that.