PDA

View Full Version : Guardian of Nature advantage seems off

Rukelnikov
2019-02-26, 10:47 PM
Anyone else thinks the advantage of GoN's respective "forms" look like they are switched??

"Primal Beast. Bestial fur covers your body, your facial features become feral, and you gain the following benefits:

Your walking speed increases by 10 feet.
You gain darkvision with a range of 120 feet.
You make Strength-based attack rolls with advantage.
Your melee weapon attacks deal an extra 1d6 force damage on a hit."

While a "Primal Beast" can be very dexterous or strong, or both, the Giant Tree has most of the qualities associated with a head-on combatant:

"Great Tree. Your skin appears barky, leaves sprout from your hair, and you gain the following benefits:

You gain 10 temporary hit points.
You make Constitution saving throws with advantage.
You make Dexterity- and Wisdom-based attack rolls with advantage.
While you are on the ground, the ground within 15 feet of you is difficult terrain for your enemies."

More HP, better Con saves, make nearby ground into difficult terrain, and... advantage on Dex based attacks?? Idk, but Dexterity is not a quality I tend to relate trees to, resilience, longevity (which could account for Wis), and, in a typical medieval fantasy, strength are.

OTOH, the primal beast has 2 typical traits of a hunter, increased speed and good darkvision, and hunters are normally associated with agility.

So, was this done for balance reasons? Am I off and they suit fluff as they are?

Naanomi
2019-02-26, 10:51 PM
Beast is for charging up and engaging in brutal/savage melee Combat

Tree is for rooting down, engaging in ranged or magical combat while making it hard for others to approach or stop you

Rukelnikov
2019-02-26, 10:54 PM
Beast is for charging up and engaging in brutal/savage melee Combat

Tree is for rooting down, engaging in ranged or magical combat while making it hard for others to approach or stop you

But do you think it suits fluff?

Naanomi
2019-02-26, 10:58 PM
But do you think it suits fluff?
Well enough, I could see an argument for beast being STR and DEX though (although then you are strafing with the bow, which doesn’t fit well to my image either)

Rukelnikov
2019-02-26, 11:06 PM
Well enough, I could see an argument for beast being STR and DEX though (although then you are strafing with the bow, which doesn’t fit well to my image either)

I strafe with my bow as a tree, which is why I think its off :S

GlenSmash!
2019-02-27, 12:21 PM
Plenty of beasts like grizzly bears for example are massively strong and hunters.

Buffing Dex saves seems off for a tree I'll give you that.

ShikomeKidoMi
2019-02-27, 06:17 PM
Rather than switched, I'd probably just remove the "Dex based" line from the tree. Then you have Strength for one and Wisdom for the other.

Animals and plants aren't big on using bows.

nickl_2000
2019-02-27, 06:51 PM
Rather than switched, I'd probably just remove the "Dex based" line from the tree. Then you have Strength for one and Wisdom for the other.

Animals and plants aren't big on using bows.

I don't know, trees use boughs all the time

Naanomi
2019-02-27, 07:03 PM
Mechanically that disincentives most Rangers from using it at all

Throne12
2019-02-28, 08:55 AM
I thought that subclass should be a druid subclass. But yes having a tree make dex str str attacks with adv is a bit weird cause I dont see trees move fast and being dexterous.

Naanomi
2019-02-28, 09:34 AM
I thought that subclass should be a druid subclass. But yes having a tree make dex str str attacks with adv is a bit weird cause I dont see trees move fast and being dexterous.
It was likely a callback to Greenwood Ranger, a 2e Ranger Kit

xroads
2019-02-28, 11:11 AM
Out of curiosities sake, is Guardian of Nature a new spell for druids & rangers? Which book is this in?

nickl_2000
2019-02-28, 11:12 AM
Out of curiosities sake, is Guardian of Nature a new spell for druids & rangers? Which book is this in?

Xanathar's Guide to Everything page 157, and yes it's Druid and Rangers

xroads
2019-02-28, 11:17 AM
Xanathar's Guide to Everything page 157, and yes it's Druid and Rangers

Thanks. At least ten characters.

Naanomi
2019-02-28, 11:25 AM
It is one of the best ‘share spells’ spell for a beastmaster

Arcangel4774
2019-02-28, 11:32 AM
While i see a rooted tree using a giant bow as something tbat works, i agree with dex feeling off. Although i should add thay dex occasionally feels off to me when it comes to archery anyway. Hystorically, the english longbowmen were your tallest and strongest men in the army.

djreynolds
2019-02-28, 12:35 PM
I don't know, trees use boughs all the time

No one got that.... tis sad sir. Very funny.

As for the spell both seem strong, it would be nice if they gave a choice of stat for attacking. (but its the ranger, so expect to be gimped some)

Also a beastmaster is just about getting this spell at 15th or 17th level or so, and they cast beast on the beast and perhaps tree on yourself with shared spell

nickl_2000
2019-02-28, 12:47 PM

Thank you for noticing!

GlenSmash!
2019-02-28, 02:44 PM

Oh I groaned out load.

MaxWilson
2019-02-28, 02:51 PM
Sometimes the kindest thing to do in response to a pun is to pretend you didn't notice it. I therefore--hey look, a squirrel!

Mith
2019-02-28, 04:27 PM
Could you envision the advantage on Dex save like a willow sapling that bends and flexs, but does not break? It does stretch imagination a bit, but perhaps the actual tree form is more dynamic than "become Treebeard".

Rukelnikov
2019-02-28, 04:54 PM
Could you envision the advantage on Dex save like a willow sapling that bends and flexs, but does not break? It does stretch imagination a bit, but perhaps the actual tree form is more dynamic than "become Treebeard".

Yeah, maybe its less becoming treant-like, and more dryad-like, it still seems off, but not as bad :P