PDA

View Full Version : Whoops!

curious-puzzle
2019-02-27, 12:07 AM
So our group is playing through the Strange Aeons adventure path, and we've just started the part involving the Dreamlands. My witch convinces everyone to go gallivanting through the Dreamlands, we need info, plus you can't really die there (Miiiigghht have underplayed the whole mental trauma aspect). So everyone settles down, and I make the first skill check for the ritual. I've got a +14, +15 with my caster levels, should be fine.

I roll a 4, and an Advanced Animate Dream shows up, kills the ninja with Phantasmal Killer and absolutely wipes the floor with the rest of us. Finally, the Paladin manages to land two crits in a row, the dream accidentally clips itself with its own confusion out of desperation, and it damages itself for the killing blow.

Then we try again, actually make it to the dreamlands, and find the Animate Dream posing as a shopkeeper. I fail to notice its nefarious intent in time, it kills me with a single touch, and then it takes out the fighter and the paladin as well. The gnome alchemist wisely shrinks himself and stays out of sight.

All in all, a productive session :biggrin:

Anyone else have any "oops" rolls that caused the death of other PCs?

PrismCat21
2019-02-27, 11:00 AM
This last year I ran a game for a friend who hadn't played before. We'd play whenever I'd stay the night at his house for work. I decided to take him through the Sunless Citadel, I know by heart and it's easy to modify without much effort.
He played a Gestalt Rogue/something else and hired a Wizard and Ranger to help him out on his adventure. Along with the Gnome Cleric Erky Timbers he eventually rescued, they made a decent party.

We played three sessions. Everything was going great. He was having a blast. He become more emotionally attached to the game than he thought he would. It was wonderful.

Then we got down to the lower levels of the Citadel. He was making good progress through the Thoqquas, skeleton farmers. and goblinoid guards. He quietly came cross the Bugbear farmer with a Scythe. At first he planned on sneaking up behind him and trying to assassinate him. At the last second, my friend decided to try and talk to him and get him to join up with his party, or at the least let everyone through without trouble. No one else was currently in the room or even in view except the Bugbear and my friend. The Bugbear didn't take to him so my friend decided to attack it head on.
He won initiative and attacked with both his weapons, miss/hit(low damage, no sneak attack).
My friend was already hurt from earlier fights and hadn't yet healed up. Bugbear roars in fury and swipes with his scythe. I roll everything in the open for him, Nat. 20. average damage, he's in single digits and the Bugbear is 'bear'ly hurt. Not wanting to kill him, I have to Bugbear move away to call for more guards, and told my friend he should probably call for help as well. (Note: They had already killed anyone that could back up the Bugbear.) He got an AoO on the Bugbear for moving away, miss. He decided to actively not call for his party members and ran after the Bugbear. He hit the Bugbear for decent damage, but it still had over half HP. Bugbear turn around and swiped again, Nat. 20.
My friend looked up at me, "Huh, this was freakin' awesome, ...I'm dead aren't I?" Damage went past -10. Cut his head clean off.

Edit: Tell Sona we're still waiting for journal updates, if willing and able. As a thank you, I'll allow my Ninetails to be feed berries.

curious-puzzle
2019-03-02, 12:05 AM
I'm pretty sure Picanet's journal is dead long enough that she'd need to start a new thread, but I shall bend my powers of persuasion irritation towards shaming her into starting a new one, maybe just from the riverboat on or something like that.