PDA

View Full Version : Bard Paladin level mix questions

Jmarsh56
2019-02-27, 06:48 AM
I am putting together a bard paladin multiclass and I'm wondering if I should go 6 paladin 14 lore bard for the extra magical secrets and aura of protection or 4 paladin 16 sword bard for the flourishes and still get extra attack. It's for a solo game so I'm not worried about needing to use my inspiration on anyone but myself.

Also I have no idea what level it will actually go to so I plan on hitting 2 paladin 3 bard asap so it comes more or less online as quickly as it can.

Also any other suggestions are more than welcome.
Thanks!

BigPixie
2019-02-27, 08:39 AM
Always pally six, use that sweet, sweet aura.

nickl_2000
2019-02-27, 08:44 AM
Always pally six, use that sweet, sweet aura.

Depending on the Paladin subclass, Paladin 7 is just as sweet.

BigPixie
2019-02-27, 08:53 AM
Depending on the Paladin subclass, Paladin 7 is just as sweet. So true #conquest :)

nickl_2000
2019-02-27, 08:56 AM
So true #conquest :)

And Ancients. Resistance to all damage from spells is borderline unfair :)

Jmarsh56
2019-02-27, 09:01 AM
It's going to be devotion, only reason to not go more than 4 paladin would be to.avoid double dipping extra attack if I go swords. But I really like the flourishes as opposed to cutting words especially solo.

CheddarChampion
2019-02-27, 09:30 AM
Another option would be Paladin 2 / Swords Bard 18 for max level magical secrets.
But I'd go with Paladin 6 / Lore Bard 14:
1. Extra attack + many slots for smiting = good damage.
2. Heavy armor + Aura of Protection = great defense.
3. At least 8 skill proficiencies + 4 expertise + Peerless Skill = great skill use.
4. 7th level spells known + slots as a 17th level bard + 6 to 8 paladin spells = good spellcasting.
And of course #1-#3 can be improved by #4.

Guy Lombard-O
2019-02-27, 03:17 PM
Well, I'm playing one right now (although he's far more support/buff than melee oriented). He's only level 2, but after starting paladin I decided to take bard 1 next. Either way, I got spells at 2nd (character) level, but I really wanted to mix the bard into the character as quickly as possible.

Since I'm playing him in dragon heist, I'm probably going to hit bard 3 before taking paladin 2 at 5th. But if I were solo playing, I'd probably take paladin 2 at 3rd, then bard 3 by 5th. If you're going swords, it's pretty much a wash at that point whether to go bard 6 or paladin 5 for the extra attack at 8th. I'd probably go bard 6, because you'll get the expertise, the flourishes, and more slots/3rd level spells that way.

RingoBongo
2019-02-27, 11:40 PM
I am currently lvl 5 vegeance paladin in cos.

(Fun side note: We became an acting troupe that goes to towns with the promise of performance of our amazing play that is a feminist rendition of strahd and irenas' life. We are using binsky dolls to perform and magic tricks for the stage effects. We hope to humiliate and demoralize strahd when he "invites us over for dinner". )

Even without proficiency in persuasion, performance, or perception I've done pretty well. And so I thought as we are going to carry on like this (acting troupe), I might want to consider a way to make it more effective. Enter bard.

I plan to take at least 4 levels for skill proficiencies and ASI. Also 4 levels boosts spell slot progress just enough to my liking. My next step is actually bard 1 for inspiration die and vicious mockery/friends cantrip and faire fire (my first feat was elven accuracy and faire fire + vow of enmity give me consisent advantage for crit fishing). Then I will paladin 6. Then bard to 4 (lore).

Not sure how long my campaign will last... Depending on that maybe bard 5 for extra little boost before very end. Or if it goes longer, bard 4/ Paladin X -- hopefully reaching paladin 11/12.

McSkrag
2019-02-27, 11:47 PM
Having played a Paladin I have to say that level 6 aura is absolutely worth it. +CHA to all your saves and the saves of your friends within 10 feet is amazing. Ancients and Conquest also get a sweet upgrade to that aura at 7.

Snowbluff
2019-02-28, 08:07 AM
I played a paladin2/Swords6. It works out quite fine. This strategy gives you a lot more magic to play with in general, and at higher levels you'll have much more powerful spells.

If you go Paladin6/BardX, I would actually suggest whispers. Swords would be defensively stronger, but whispers has a lot of burst damage potential, it's like being a rogue Cha time per short rest.