PDA

View Full Version : Supoose I had a kobold with no Sunlight Sensivity

Snowbluff
2019-02-27, 10:01 AM
What kind of build should i make?
Try and be AL legal.

BigPixie
2019-02-27, 10:06 AM
Trapmaker rogue. Combined with a wizard who uses creation to aid his trapmaking.

Keravath
2019-02-27, 10:09 AM
As far as I know, there is no AL legal way to have a kobold without sunlight sensitivity.

However, the best kobold builds I have seen are a rogue/fighter, rogue/ranger or monk. Pack tactics makes it much easier for the rogue to land sneak attack on a regular basis in most normal parties (ones with some melee) with either range or melee builds. Combine that with sharpshooter and extra attack with 5 levels of ranger or fighter.

However, the sunlight sensitivity is intentional to partially offset pack tactics which is really powerful for most melee and ranged builds (as long as there is a team mate adjacent to your target).

JackPhoenix
2019-02-27, 10:17 AM
As far as I know, there is no AL legal way to have a kobold without sunlight sensitivity.

Sure there is. Play OotA or CoS. No sunlight there. Well, except the swords.

Snowbluff
2019-02-27, 12:17 PM
I was doing some brainstorming with my IRL group. IN general, we determined using STR to attack was fruitless. Here's some options we came up with.

1) Rebuild my Paladin/Bard with the scimmy holy avenger into a Paladin Rogue (with a focus on dex for attacking). This would generate the most dice using a PHB build.

2) Make a Champion Rogue, get like 47% chance to crit per round.

3) Valor Bard Paladin.

4) Sorcadin.

Paladin and rogue came up a lot because they make a lot of dice for critting.

KyleG
2019-02-27, 10:25 PM
Were the old school Kobolds sensitive to sunlight?

Snowbluff
2019-02-27, 10:29 PM
Were the old school Kobolds sensitive to sunlight?

In 3e they were, but all it did was the weaksauce Dazzled condition, which was like a -1 to attack and spot checks.

Current build idea: Champ3/Paladin6/Rogue11. 6d6 SA, x21 crit rang, action surge, TWF style and prot style, Aura of Prot (but only +3 when maxed), and 6 CL of slots.

Alternatives: Champ3/Paladin5/Rogue 12 for 1 more ASI, and Champ3/Paladin8/Rogue9 for 5d6 SA but CL7 (4th level slots) smiting.

Keravath
2019-02-27, 10:37 PM
Sure there is. Play OotA or CoS. No sunlight there. Well, except the swords.

Sure :) but the kobold still HAS sunlight sensitivity so when they complete either of those they will still have to deal with it.

Snowbluff
2019-02-27, 10:44 PM
Sure :) but the kobold still HAS sunlight sensitivity so when they complete either of those they will still have to deal with it.

Become a parasol salesman, hand out free samples to your most hated enemies.

Misterwhisper
2019-02-27, 10:50 PM
If I could play a kobold with no sunlight sensitivity I would play a rogue arcane trickster, so I can get a familiar and keel advantage just by having it around.

If I could do it outside of AL raven queen pact of the blade warlock.

Keravath
2019-02-27, 10:50 PM
In 3e they were, but all it did was the weaksauce Dazzled condition, which was like a -1 to attack and spot checks.

Current build idea: Champ3/Paladin6/Rogue11. 6d6 SA, x21 crit rang, action surge, TWF style and prot style, Aura of Prot (but only +3 when maxed), and 6 CL of slots.

Alternatives: Champ3/Paladin5/Rogue 12 for 1 more ASI, and Champ3/Paladin8/Rogue9 for 5d6 SA but CL7 (4th level slots) smiting.

Keep in mind that these are getting pretty MAD. They require at least 13 str, 13 dex and 13 cha to multiclass paladin with rogue. On top of that with the -2 kobolds have to strength the minimum 13 for the paladin levels will be a REAL challenge.

The best I could manage was str 13, dex 16, con 12, int 8, wis 8, charisma 14

As for spell slots - a 6th level paladin has the spell slots of a 3rd level caster while an 8th level paladin has the slots of a 4th level caster.

The rogue could contribute spell slots if you choose arcane trickster but you didn't mention the rogue archetype. 9th or 11th level arcane trickster would contribute 3 casting levels so you would wind up with the spell slots of a 6th or 7th level caster at level 20 (which wouldn't be that useful through most of the character's career).

Snowbluff
2019-02-27, 11:18 PM
Keep in mind that these are getting pretty MAD. They require at least 13 str, 13 dex and 13 cha to multiclass paladin with rogue. On top of that with the -2 kobolds have to strength the minimum 13 for the paladin levels will be a REAL challenge.

The best I could manage was str 13, dex 16, con 12, int 8, wis 8, charisma 14

As for spell slots - a 6th level paladin has the spell slots of a 3rd level caster while an 8th level paladin has the slots of a 4th level caster.

The rogue could contribute spell slots if you choose arcane trickster but you didn't mention the rogue archetype. 9th or 11th level arcane trickster would contribute 3 casting levels so you would wind up with the spell slots of a 6th or 7th level caster at level 20 (which wouldn't be that useful through most of the character's career).

I am well aware. That's about the point buy I would use. Rogues get extra ASI so I would put +4 in dex and +2 to con and cha for more HP and improved saves.

And yes, I mean arcane trickster. Having find familiar as an option is pretty great, in my opinion, on top of your little buddy giving you pack tactics.

Remember that for the most part, the first 10 CL are generally more useful for smiting. It doesn't scale as well due to the end of the scaling. The point of the build would be to divvy up your slots for when you crit, which probably means that Champion stretches your smite value more than 1.5 or 3 more CL might. A first level slot is as good as a 3rd level one if you force a crit.