PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizers and Munchkins, Rally to Me! Tempest Cleric help

GeorgeHabadashr
2019-02-27, 08:26 PM
Right now I'm playing a tempest cleric in a campaign. We started at level three and are approaching level four and I'm having trouble choosing between the options available to me. I took variant human to get magic initiate for booming blade and have the following stats.

Stats:
17 str
10 dex
12 con
8 int
15 wis
8 cha

I'm torn between taking war caster or resilient: con for help maintaining concentration, but that 17 and 15 in my two main stats screams +1, +1 to me, too.

Importantly, our campaign is also using some homebrew rules about resting. Long rests last one week and will advance the state of the campaign, i.e., the bad guys will be closer to their goals. So obviously, we'll be taking as few long rests as we can. I won't be using as many spells-and meleeing more-, but losing one of my four weekly blesses getting hit by some mook sounds like something I want to avoid.

Finally, the campaign is slated to end at around level 7, so this is likely the only ASI/feat I'll get on this character. Thanks for the help

KorvinStarmast
2019-02-27, 10:53 PM
warcaster if your game ends at level 7.

You already messed up the build with 17 STR and 15 Wis for a cleric.
Focus on buffing your allies and Spirit Guardians.

That is my inner munchkin speaking.

Quoz
2019-02-28, 02:51 AM
Hate to say it, but u see those restrictions the healer feat looks very tempting. Without long rests you will really want a way to recover HP while expending as few resources as possible. Turning gold into HP is not a bad bargain.

Outside of those restrictions I would say boosting Str and Wis is probably your best option. If con saves are your bigger concern warcaster will probably save your concentration spells more often than resilient. It will also let you booming blade on opportunity attacks, which happens before they move so will always trigger the extra damage.

LudicSavant
2019-02-28, 03:52 AM
Right now I'm playing a tempest cleric in a campaign. We started at level three and are approaching level four and I'm having trouble choosing between the options available to me. I took variant human to get magic initiate for booming blade and have the following stats.

Stats:
17 str
10 dex
12 con
8 int
15 wis
8 cha

I'm torn between taking war caster or resilient: con for help maintaining concentration, but that 17 and 15 in my two main stats screams +1, +1 to me, too.

Importantly, our campaign is also using some homebrew rules about resting. Long rests last one week and will advance the state of the campaign, i.e., the bad guys will be closer to their goals. So obviously, we'll be taking as few long rests as we can. I won't be using as many spells-and meleeing more-, but losing one of my four weekly blesses getting hit by some mook sounds like something I want to avoid.

Finally, the campaign is slated to end at around level 7, so this is likely the only ASI/feat I'll get on this character. Thanks for the help

If you want to choose a Concentration buffer, then for DC 10 Concentration saves (e.g. the DC for any hit of 20 damage or less), you'll have the following

Chance of Maintaing Concentration
Nothing: 60%
Res (Con): 70% (level 4) / 75% (level 5-7)
Warcaster: 84%, and of course better OAs.

So... yeah. Warcaster or +1/+1. Resilient (Con) isn't that great if you're not bumping up an odd score or taking it at later levels (when your proficiency bonus is higher).

FirstBornSon
2019-02-28, 04:24 AM
Replace magic initiative with spell sniper (booming blade) so you can attack with glaive or whip+shield if you want more ac.

CTurbo
2019-02-28, 07:28 AM
I'd +1 Str and Wis for sure.

15 Wis is not terrible, but definitely behind the curve. Being able to maximize thunder/lightning damage doesn't mean anything if enemies can pass their save easily.

GeorgeHabadashr
2019-03-01, 06:50 AM
Thanks for all the ideas and advice. The math on warcaster vs resilient: con is very helpful and I never would’ve considered taking healer.