PDA

View Full Version : Spell book Question for a Bard 14 / Wizard 1

Talionis
2019-02-27, 10:11 PM
If I am playing a Bard 14 / Wizard 1 and I have a spell scroll can I scribe the Clone spell scroll into my spell book? I have a level 15 spell slot which can cast an 8th level spell. It’s hard to tell from the multiclassing rules.

CTurbo
2019-02-27, 11:01 PM
As far as I know, you would have an 8th level spell slot, BUT only be able to cast up to 7th level spells.

LordEntrails
2019-02-27, 11:04 PM
As far as I know, you would have an 8th level spell slot, BUT only be able to cast up to 7th level spells.
This is my understanding as well.

Aaron Underhand
2019-02-28, 02:06 AM
No, you can only transcribe spells your wizard can cast. I e first level spells.

This is clear from page 164 of the PHB where it says

For example, if you are the aforementioned ranger 4/wizard 3, you count as a 5th-level character when determining your spell slots: you have four 1st-level slots, three 2nd-level slots, and two 3rd-level slots.

However, you don’t know any 3rd-level spells, nor do you know any 2nd-level ranger spells. You can use the spell slots of those levels to cast the spells you do know—and potentially enhance their effects.

This has been clarified many times - I am currently playing a Wizard 1/Lore Bard 8

bid
2019-02-28, 02:15 AM
No, you can only transcribe spells your wizard can cast. I e first level spells
Yep
- As a bard 14 you can know 7th spells but don't have a spellbook.
- As a wizard 1 you can transcribe 1st spells.

Talionis
2019-02-28, 04:20 PM
But to be clear, I can use the spell scroll if I make an arcana check? That may also be a portion of my "hope" that this would work.

My idea for a character that's goal was to get the clone spell, but he's more fitting as a Bard/Warlock, but I was going to multiclass enough that I would probably never hit Bard 18 for that High Level Mystery.

Chronos
2019-02-28, 06:24 PM
You could use the scroll with an Arcana check even if you were just a 1st-level wizard with no other classes. You'd have a high chance of failure, of course, but it'd be possible.

Vorpalchicken
2019-02-28, 06:48 PM
If you are a Lore bard then you can use Peerless Skill to make the check fairly easily.

Edit. It's actually a Spellcasting ability check, not Arcana. This makes it harder but a least you get to add half your proficiency bonus.

Aaron Underhand
2019-02-28, 07:15 PM
Well worth having enhance ability, and guidance if you have a friendly cleric...

Sigreid
2019-02-28, 07:19 PM
Can a bard jack clone with magical secrets? Beyond that, can a 17 or 18 bard get wish?

Keravath
2019-02-28, 09:59 PM
Can a bard jack clone with magical secrets? Beyond that, can a 17 or 18 bard get wish?

An 18 bard can get wish through the 18th level magical secrets choices (they could also get clone if they wanted but since wish is strictly better there isn't any point). However, wish is not on the bard spell list so it isn't available to a level 17 bard. In addition, clone is level 8 so it isn't available as a level 14 magical secrets option.