PDA

View Full Version : A Cavalier in Barovia

Agailius
2019-02-28, 02:18 AM
So, our DM has just landed us into Curse of Strahd, literally right as we had defeated the final boss of the Lost Mines of Phandelvin, and our next session is going to be Death House. Good news is, we're all at level 6 by now, so unless the DM has amped up the difficulty, we have a better chance at survival. Bad news is, it's Curse of Strahd, aka the Dark Souls of DnD campaigns. Not only that, it's freaking Death House--which, while I haven't played it, I at least know is infamous for turning new players into finely-cut sashimi.

Now, I will say that our DM is rather generous with when we level up; specifically, when we would normally have to choose between a feat and ASI, he actually lets us get BOTH, which is a freaking godsend.

My character is a level 6, Variant Human Fighter of the Cavalier archetype. Str is 20, Dex is 12, Con is 18, Int is 10, Wisdon is 10, and Charisma is 14. Feats I have so far are Sentinel and Polearm Master.

My party consists of a Drunken Fist monk(Human), an Oathbreaker paladin(Dragonborn), myself, and an NPC rogue(Goblin). You might have noticed the distinct lack of clerics or spellcasters in our party. No, we did not coordinate on team composition. Yes, we are a bunch of idiots. Yes, it is a miracle as to how the heck we've survived thus far. Hence, my concerns as to how I should level up my character.

Since I can get both the ASI as well as a feat, I was thinking of maxing out Con, since I'm supposed to be the one taking the hits. More complexly is what I should choose as far as feats are concerned. I'm currently thinking of going for either the Lucky feat, Shield Master feat, or the Magic Initiate feat. Of course, the whole reason I'm posting this is to ask, what do you think I should do? What ways should I level up my character? What feats or ASIs do you think would be good for my class, or at least be useful at surviving Death House and/or Curse of Strahd in general?

Quoz
2019-02-28, 02:44 AM
Since you already have pole arm mastery, shield master doesn't really fit. You can use a shield with a one handed quarterstaff, but the bonus action and reaction economy doesn't mesh well with the awesome abilities you already have.

I would suggest magic initiate for warlock and grab hex and booming blade, with warcaster as your next feat after. The combo will let you use booming blade as an opportunity attack, which with sentinel you will be making a lot of.

Great weapon master is another great option, even better than normal as you will easily have all the feat support and max stats. Heavy armor master will also boost your durability quite a bit.

Agailius
2019-02-28, 03:02 AM
Since you already have pole arm mastery, shield master doesn't really fit. You can use a shield with a one handed quarterstaff, but the bonus action and reaction economy doesn't mesh well with the awesome abilities you already have.I do like to use my sword and shield when the enemy has already entered my halberd's range. Add a certain versatility to my arsenal. I still only have basic chainmail, meaning my AC is only 16 when I'm wielding my halberd. On the other hand, I actually have a +1 shield, which ups my AC to 19. Having Shield Master would mean I could add a +3 to Dex saving throws against spells and other harmful effects--which I find appealing, because in our last fight, three hellhounds cast fire breath on us, and despite the fact I passed all my dexterity checks, I still lost almost HALF of my entire HP in a single round. Meanwhile, our paladin--who had Shield Master--took no damage at all.

Also helps that my sword is pretty nifty in that it's proven effective against skeletons, except it seems to also somehow drink the blood of the enemies I strike it with...? Homebrew swords, man.

Randomthom
2019-02-28, 03:05 AM
Have you considered multiclassing to Divine Soul Sorceror? You should still put the ASI into Con or maybe do 1 in con (to 19) and 1 into something else (you're all evens so nowhere leaps out) then go for resilient (Con).

Then pick spells taht either buff your tankiness (shield) or that give you the healer/buffer utility your group lacks.

It could easily be fluffed as dormant power in your blood, perhaps rising to the surface to combat the darkness you find yourself in now...

Agailius
2019-02-28, 03:24 AM
Then pick spells taht either buff your tankiness (shield) or that give you the healer/buffer utility your group lacks.Funny you should mention that. Part of my character's background is that he's a Knight of the Order, having been a former member of a military order. One of the options I had for Magic Initiate was for him to access some Cleric spells, as it would mesh very well with his background--like you said, it only comes out now because he faces true darkness and evil in Barovia.

I remember reading about how early access to Radiant damage can be a huge boon to my party, presumably because gonna be going up against a LOT of undead, so I was thinking of getting Word of Radiance or Sacred Flame... but Wis is tied with Int as my dump stats, so the saves against them would be laughably easy to overcome. So intead, I thought that maybe taking the Guidance and Spare the Dying would be good as far as cantrips go. Guidance helps buff my party members and myself with skill checks, and Spare the Dying makes it easier to keep allies alive--which I KNOW will help out our paladin, since he's the only person in the party with any capacity for healing.

As for 1st level spells, I was initially tempted to take Guilding Bolt, since lots of Radiant damage=boom-boom-goes-undead... But again, Wis is my dump stat, and even if I roll really well with GS, unless I start multiclassing into Cleric--which I don't even think I CAN, given the flat 10 in Wisdom I have--it won't scale with my levels. It's either Bless, Shield of Faith, or Healing Word.

Have you considered multiclassing to Divine Soul Sorceror?I honestly did NOT think of that. Actually, that might not be a half-baked idea.

Unoriginal
2019-02-28, 06:09 AM
Inspiring Leader, maybe?

Agailius
2019-02-28, 12:46 PM
Inspiring Leader, maybe?
I do like that feat, I won't deny it. The only trouble with it is that it can only be used outside of combat, and takes ten minutes to give a speech. It helps with the temporary hitpoints, but if I used my ASI to buff up my Charisma, I'd only be able to give, at most, 9 temporary hitpoints to my allies. Certainly not a bad feat, but is spending 10 minutes out of combat to give 9 temporary hitpoints that big a game-changer? Though, to be fair, Inspiring Leader and Healer would both really help with my party's lack of a dedicated healer in the party.

Though this idea of taking one or two levels in Divine Soul sounds freaking awesome from both a game mechanic perspective AND roleplay.

Contrast
2019-02-28, 03:22 PM
I do like that feat, I won't deny it. The only trouble with it is that it can only be used outside of combat, and takes ten minutes to give a speech. It helps with the temporary hitpoints, but if I used my ASI to buff up my Charisma, I'd only be able to give, at most, 9 temporary hitpoints to my allies. Certainly not a bad feat, but is spending 10 minutes out of combat to give 9 temporary hitpoints that big a game-changer? Though, to be fair, Inspiring Leader and Healer would both really help with my party's lack of a dedicated healer in the party.

Though this idea of taking one or two levels in Divine Soul sounds freaking awesome from both a game mechanic perspective AND roleplay.

I don't think its worth bumping Cha but Inspiring Leader would be good even with 14. Do you loot/clean up your equipment/bandage wounds after battle? Go around telling everyone what a good job they did in the fight during that time and you've got your 10 mins. Every time you short rest, bam. Every morning over breakfast, bam. I'd only take it if that fits your idea of the kind of person your char is to be fair.

Only thing to clarify would be with your DM if they actually expect you to give an inspiring speech each time or are happy to just accept 'I go around giving everyone a few words of encouragement, take your THP'.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-28, 03:29 PM
I do like to use my sword and shield when the enemy has already entered my halberd's range. Add a certain versatility to my arsenal. I still only have basic chainmail, meaning my AC is only 16 when I'm wielding my halberd. On the other hand, I actually have a +1 shield, which ups my AC to 19. Having Shield Master would mean I could add a +3 to Dex saving throws against spells and other harmful effects--which I find appealing, because in our last fight, three hellhounds cast fire breath on us, and despite the fact I passed all my dexterity checks, I still lost almost HALF of my entire HP in a single round. Meanwhile, our paladin--who had Shield Master--took no damage at all.

Also helps that my sword is pretty nifty in that it's proven effective against skeletons, except it seems to also somehow drink the blood of the enemies I strike it with...? Homebrew swords, man.

If you like using your shield and a spear/quarterstaff, consider grabbing Mobile.

Kinda like this:

Enemy turn;
Enemy approaches you
PAM Reaction attack.
Enemy attacks you vs. your 18 AC.
Your turn;
Attack the enemy.
Bonus attack the enemy or another enemy.
Move 5 feet away without provoking an attack.
Rinse, repeat.

Alternatively, if you're getting attacked a lot, consider picking up the Tough feat.

Agailius
2019-02-28, 04:26 PM
If you like using your shield and a spear/quarterstaff, consider grabbing Mobile.

Kinda like this:

Enemy turn;
Enemy approaches you
PAM Reaction attack.
Enemy attacks you vs. your 18 AC.
Your turn;
Attack the enemy.
Bonus attack the enemy or another enemy.
Move 5 feet away without provoking an attack.
Rinse, repeat.

Alternatively, if you're getting attacked a lot, consider picking up the Tough feat.Interesting.

But yeah, Tough is also a great option. Currently, at level 5, my character's max hitpoints are at 70. If I max out Con, max out on hit dice--which out DM allows, and take the Tough feat, which gives you two extra hitpoints every time you level, plus an amount equal the twice the level you take the feat at...

One hitpoint shy of 100, unless my math is off.

sophontteks
2019-02-28, 04:37 PM
The DM will have to ramp up the difficulty. You are level 6 in a level 1 area in a campaign that ends at level 10. Death house is terrifying...at level 1. Really strange to run death house at all. Its a side thing just there to help players get to level 3 before starting the real campaign.

It'll be interesting how exactly the DM ramps things up to compensate. With the levels and double ASI's I'd be a little concerned that the tension of CoS may be lost without a real challenge.

Agailius
2019-03-01, 12:53 AM
The DM will have to ramp up the difficulty. You are level 6 in a level 1 area in a campaign that ends at level 10. Death house is terrifying...at level 1. Really strange to run death house at all. Its a side thing just there to help players get to level 3 before starting the real campaign.

It'll be interesting how exactly the DM ramps things up to compensate. With the levels and double ASI's I'd be a little concerned that the tension of CoS may be lost without a real challenge.
Hence my sheer panic in trying to figure out what can best improve me and my party's chances of surviving Death House and Curse of Strahd.

sophontteks
2019-03-01, 08:11 AM
Hence my sheer panic in trying to figure out what can best improve me and my party's chances of surviving Death House and Curse of Strahd.
Do you know what your DM has in mind?

The deathouse, as we know it, is scary because level 1 characters have few tools at their disposal and can easily be one-shot by certain encounters. When we made it though, we had a lot of luck using our wit to solve problems and avoid ambushes. Mechanical power was secondary.

This carries true well into the CoS campaign. The characters are weak and low level. Its very easy for them to get overwhelmed if they stray away and don't pick their fights carefully. It doesn't matter how optimized a character is. Certain fights will just be unwinnable by design.

Your DM will largely be re-writing the encounters. The question is if he will keep to the spirit of CoS, or if encounters will be adjusted to your level. There is also the problem where your characters are starting at a level where they can already cause Strahd problems.

If the DM is keeping to the CoS spirit, the prevailing advice is this: Optimization isn't going to save you. Strong social characters can help you avoid lost fights and get allies. Scouting and intelligence gathering will go far too. If a fight seems lost have a escape plan.

As for your party. They are fine mechanically. Though the people of barovia will probably hate on the dragonborn, and are likely to kill your goblin on sight. This is a bit DM dependent though.

Dungeon-noob
2019-03-01, 01:27 PM
For the feat, think very strongly on why you WOULDN'T want Resilient (wis). Wisdom saves abound in CoS, because duh, and if you have feats to spare (fighter with feats on every ASI, so you do) it would help a ton to boost your wisdom saves. For the ASI itself i can see two ways to go about it: either boost CON for maximum fighter-ness, but since you party has plenty of that, look at either boosting WIS or CHA, WIS for wisdom saves and a few skills that key off it, or CHA for the times that save'll show up, but more importantly, get the social skills up, maybe pick up skilled for profiency as well and be the face, palladin or no. In CoS, having a face is very handy, and the palladin might appriciate someone else chipping in on the social front.

Agailius
2019-03-01, 02:21 PM
In CoS, having a face is very handy, and the palladin might appriciate someone else chipping in on the social front.Actually, I kind of AM the face of the group. Our paladin is an Oathbreaker teetering on the verge of murdurhobo-ness, our monk isn't very charismatic, and our rogue is... well, he's a goblin. I'm also the only person in the party with 'Good' in their alignment.

Soooo... yeah. Maybe emphasizing my role as the face of the group is a good idea. I'm already proficient in Persuasion and Intimidation, so if I wanted to maximize my role as the face of the group, I'm curious as to what options I have. Unfortunately, my Dex is too low for me to take a level in Rogue, so I can't benefit from the rogue's Expertise feature, at least not until I reach level 8. Maybe I can take the Prodigy feat to also get proficiency in Performance, AND double proficiency in that, Persuasion, or Intimidation. Add the ASI to Cha, and boop! Super social character. I will say that my character is 'too honest for his own good', so I think I wouldn't want him being proficient in Deception.

Alternatively, I can still take the Prodigy feat for my Cha skills, but put my ASI towards Dex so I can take a level in rogue and take the Expertise from there... Boom. By level 8, I've got double proficiency in Persuasion, Intimidation, AND Performance. Otherwise, I can take the Actor feat, which'll boost up my Cha by one anyway, AND give me advantage on Performance and Deception checks. Or, like you said, I can take the Skilled feat instead. I'd pick Acrobatics and Performance as my first two skills, but what would be a good third one? I know Deception would work off my Cha, but again, my character is an honest guy. Not sure if giving him skill in Deception would be true to his character. Maybe Insight, or Stealth?

I would also like to point out that I'm very new to DnD, so I am a little shy about stepping up and being the face, though it's mostly because I'm inexperienced at doing it.

rbstr
2019-03-01, 03:20 PM
I would strongly recommend keeping in Cavalier until level 8 at least and taking con to 20. Warding Maneuver is really fantastic for defending yourself or others. Then I think Inspiring leader would be a good idea, followed by adding charisma in subsequent level-ups. Mobile is also a good idea.

Cavalier still has a lot to offer after that, IMO. definitely take mobile at some point then.
But, If you're really feeling a lack of magic, I suggest Celestial Warlock as an interesting option at that point.
You'll get radiant damage options right off the bat, healing spells, some bonus action healing, and a bit of magic blasting power without too many levels.
Some bard is another option that leans this way. Swords 5 could be neat for both giving some spells and adding fun effects to your attacks.

Another option for getting some radiant damage is taking Barbarian 3 or 4 and going with the Zealot.

I'm not a fan of adding rogue or non-cha casters, the lack of stats makes them far less synergistic.

Agailius
2019-03-01, 03:40 PM
I would strongly recommend keeping in Cavalier until level 8 at least and taking con to 20. Warding Maneuver is really fantastic for defending yourself or others. Then I think Inspiring leader would be a good idea, followed by adding charisma in subsequent level-ups. Mobile is also a good idea.

Cavalier still has a lot to offer after that, IMO. definitely take mobile at some point then.
But, If you're really feeling a lack of magic, I suggest Celestial Warlock as an interesting option at that point.
You'll get radiant damage options right off the bat, healing spells, some bonus action healing, and a bit of magic blasting power without too many levels.
Some bard is another option that leans this way. Swords 5 could be neat for both giving some spells and adding fun effects to your attacks.

Another option for getting some radiant damage is taking Barbarian 3 or 4 and going with the Zealot.

I'm not a fan of adding rogue or non-cha casters, the lack of stats makes them far less synergistic.Yeah, above all else, I want my role to be on the front lines. Taking a few levels in Zealot Barbarian actually sounds kinda fun. Only trouble is, if I wait until level 8 to multiclass into a Barbarian, by the time I'd reach the level to access the Zealot features, I'd be at level 11, and we'd have beaten CoS by then.

Taking Celestial Warlock levels also sounds pretty fun, like a Divine Soul Sorcerer. From a roleplay perspective, if I pick Warlock, I'm pledging myself to the service of a celestial who wants me to fight against Strahd. If I'm a Sorcerer, I could have an ancestor who was either a celestial, or a mortal champion chosen by divine powers to combat evil, and my powers awaken in response to my entering of Barovia--a land beset by darkness.

Oh god, wait. A swoll, beefy, generically good guy who gains the power to kill the undead with quasi-holy, magical powers, whose bloodline rises up to defeat evil time and again... My character would become Jonathan freaking Joestar! Why does this always happen?!

Christian
2019-03-01, 05:29 PM
Have you considered multiclassing to Divine Soul Sorceror? You should still put the ASI into Con or maybe do 1 in con (to 19) and 1 into something else (you're all evens so nowhere leaps out) then go for resilient (Con).

Well, if he multiclasses now, he'll be Fighter 5/Sorcerer 1 and won't get an ASI. So he should probably save multiclassing for at least one more level. Oh, but then he puts off Warding Maneuver from Fighter 7. And after that there's another ASI at level 8 ... Honestly, under this house rule, ASI's are so incredibly valuable that putting them off for any reason is pretty hard to swallow. I wouldn't think about multiclassing until after Fighter 8, when the next ASI is four levels away regardless.

Also, Resilient (Constitution) would be kind of pointless, since as a Fighter he's already proficient in Constitution saving throws. Yes, we're evening out the stat, but there are probably better feat choices than a half-feat where the feat benefit is absolutely zero.

Agailius
2019-03-02, 12:20 AM
Well, if he multiclasses now, he'll be Fighter 5/Sorcerer 1 and won't get an ASI. So he should probably save multiclassing for at least one more level. Oh, but then he puts off Warding Maneuver from Fighter 7. And after that there's another ASI at level 8 ... Honestly, under this house rule, ASI's are so incredibly valuable that putting them off for any reason is pretty hard to swallow. I wouldn't think about multiclassing until after Fighter 8, when the next ASI is four levels away regardless.

Also, Resilient (Constitution) would be kind of pointless, since as a Fighter he's already proficient in Constitution saving throws. Yes, we're evening out the stat, but there are probably better feat choices than a half-feat where the feat benefit is absolutely zero.And considering Fighters get twice as many ASI's as any of the other classes... yeah, I'm gonna be a Fighter for a little while longer.

What about the Sword Mastery feat, from UA? My DM said we can use the UA list when choosing a feat, and getting a feat to help my capabilities with a sword will make switching to my sword and board more than just a fallback for when I want more AC. Although, the +1 to AC when I use my reaction is also pretty nifty. I've also heard that Magic Initiate and Alert are also useful for Curse of Strahd.

EDIT: There are another few additional things I should mention--one pertaining to me, and the other our paladin.

I personally have two magical items on hand: one is Boots of Elvenkind, and another homebrew item similar in function to a Ring of Rejuvenation, except it heals in relation to combat, with it healing 3 hp every time the round rolls around to my turn. If I were to combine this with Heavy Armor Master, I'd be taking 3 less points of slashing, pierceing, or bludgeoning damage any time I'm hit, then gaining three hitpoints back at the start of each of my turns, which I think synergizes well. Helps keep my hp up all the better, though it offers no resistances to magical damages. Alternatively, taking the Tough feat will give me more hitpoints in general, and while I get no resistances, I'm still a sponge who can take more damage, AND still get 3 hitpoints back at the end of each turn--making killing me all the more of a slow-burn for enemies to deal with.

And in regards to the paladin in our group, our DM has voiced his frustration at having allowed his player to make an Oathbreaker, as he's actually quite OP, with him more often than not being the one who finishes each of the fights we've been in so far. To the point he's seriously considering making it a hose rule so that Oathbreakers ONLY do Necrotic damage, rather than both that and Radiant damage. So... we might soon lose our only source of Radiant damage in our party, unless he's allowed to undergo some kind of redemption-esqe class change.

ImproperJustice
2019-03-02, 08:46 AM
Also, I wouldn’t stress about having a lack of spellcasters.
A while back I played in a game of all fighters.

What you lack in magical oomph you make up for with the ability to just beat senseless everything that stands in your way.
Our opening round usually ended with everything dead or decimated.
Short rest recharges were common, backed by Healer, Ritual Caster, and Inspiring Leader.

KnotaGuru
2019-03-02, 10:37 AM
So, our DM has just landed us into Curse of Strahd, literally right as we had defeated the final boss of the Lost Mines of Phandelvin, and our next session is going to be Death House. Good news is, we're all at level 6 by now, so unless the DM has amped up the difficulty, we have a better chance at survival. Bad news is, it's Curse of Strahd, aka the Dark Souls of DnD campaigns. Not only that, it's freaking Death House--which, while I haven't played it, I at least know is infamous for turning new players into finely-cut sashimi.

Now, I will say that our DM is rather generous with when we level up; specifically, when we would normally have to choose between a feat and ASI, he actually lets us get BOTH, which is a freaking godsend.

My character is a level 6, Variant Human Fighter of the Cavalier archetype. Str is 20, Dex is 12, Con is 18, Int is 10, Wisdon is 10, and Charisma is 14. Feats I have so far are Sentinel and Polearm Master.

My party consists of a Drunken Fist monk(Human), an Oathbreaker paladin(Dragonborn), myself, and an NPC rogue(Goblin). You might have noticed the distinct lack of clerics or spellcasters in our party. No, we did not coordinate on team composition. Yes, we are a bunch of idiots. Yes, it is a miracle as to how the heck we've survived thus far. Hence, my concerns as to how I should level up my character.

Since I can get both the ASI as well as a feat, I was thinking of maxing out Con, since I'm supposed to be the one taking the hits. More complexly is what I should choose as far as feats are concerned. I'm currently thinking of going for either the Lucky feat, Shield Master feat, or the Magic Initiate feat. Of course, the whole reason I'm posting this is to ask, what do you think I should do? What ways should I level up my character? What feats or ASIs do you think would be good for my class, or at least be useful at surviving Death House and/or Curse of Strahd in general?

You're fine staying cavalier. Your DM seems pretty lenient, ask him is you can trade out Sentinel and PAM feats for something else. Both will soon compete with your level 7 reaction and Sentinel will overlap with your level 10 feature. Also, if you prefer sword and shield, PAM is useless. If you can trade out your feats, grab Inspiring leader and Healer or Shield master. If you can't trade out you feats, you can still use PAM with a quarterstaff or spear. At this point Shield master would compete with PAM bonus attack so it would lose some of it's potency.

At level 6:
ASI: +2 CON (helps your HP, saves, and level 7 feature)
Feat: resilient (WIS) or Inspiring leader

At level 8:
ASI: +2 CHA or WIS
Feat: resilient (WIS) or Inspiring leader

On a side note, your Oathbreaker paladin is about to make this adventure more challenging. Yes, his level 6 aura of protection will boost everyone's saves, but his level 7 aura of hate is going to boost ENEMY undead damage. He should be the one to multi-class after level 6 and dip into sorcerer. Sorcadin could do very well in CoS.

rbstr
2019-03-02, 10:55 AM
I personally have two magical items on hand: one is Boots of Elvenkind, and another homebrew item similar in function to a Ring of Rejuvenation, except it heals in relation to combat, with it healing 3 hp every time the round rolls around to my turn. If I were to combine this with Heavy Armor Master, I'd be taking 3 less points of slashing, pierceing, or bludgeoning damage any time I'm hit, then gaining three hitpoints back at the start of each of my turns, which I think synergizes well. Helps keep my hp up all the better, though it offers no resistances to magical damages. Alternatively, taking the Tough feat will give me more hitpoints in general, and while I get no resistances, I'm still a sponge who can take more damage, AND still get 3 hitpoints back at the end of each turn--making killing me all the more of a slow-burn for enemies to deal with.

HAM is a good idea it'll stack on top of Warding Maneuver's damage resistance. I think the main reason people haven't mentioned it is that's it's a half-feat and that +1 Strength it has would go to waste.

And in regards to the paladin in our group, our DM has voiced his frustration at having allowed his player to make an Oathbreaker, as he's actually quite OP, with him more often than not being the one who finishes each of the fights we've been in so far. To the point he's seriously considering making it a hose rule so that Oathbreakers ONLY do Necrotic damage, rather than both that and Radiant damage. So... we might soon lose our only source of Radiant damage in our party, unless he's allowed to undergo some kind of redemption-esqe class change.
Yeah, Oathbreaker was a mistake. It's really supposed to be an NPC class and it's out of line with other oaths. Maybe he could get swapped to the XGTE Conquest Pally if the character themes line up?

Tanarii
2019-03-02, 12:09 PM
I do like to use my sword and shield when the enemy has already entered my halberd's range. Add a certain versatility to my arsenal.
Do you generally find the loss of an entire action to don the shield is worth it? I don't think I've ever had a player willing to spend that action, although I've had plenty that had builds where they'd either choose 2H missile or S&B before combat began.

Agailius
2019-03-02, 12:16 PM
Do you generally find the loss of an entire action to don the shield is worth it? I don't think I've ever had a player willing to spend that action, although I've had plenty that had builds where they'd either choose 2H missile or S&B before combat began.Huh? It takes an entire action to don a shield? I thought it was a free action, or something. I don't recall our DM contesting whenever I switched out my halberd for my sword and board, but if that's the rules, it's the rules.

Tanarii
2019-03-02, 12:17 PM
Huh? It takes an entire action to don a shield? I thought it was a free action, or something. I don't recall our DM contesting whenever I switched out my halberd for my sword and board, but if that's the rules, it's the rules.That explains it then. :smallbiggrin:

sophontteks
2019-03-02, 02:29 PM
You can do it as a free action, but it'll take two turns to wield both the weapon and the shield.

Tanarii
2019-03-02, 03:11 PM
You can do it as a free action, but it'll take two turns to wield both the weapon and the shield.shields require an action.

Agailius
2019-03-02, 06:37 PM
You can do it as a free action, but it'll take two turns to wield both the weapon and the shield.Guess I'll have to take it up with my DM to clear it up on where he stands with it.

...I really need to get some better armor. I'm at level 6, and I'm STILL using basic chainmail.

Contrast
2019-03-02, 07:12 PM
Guess I'll have to take it up with my DM to clear it up on where he stands with it.

If you/your DM wants the rules reference its on p146 of the PHB. An action to either don or doff a shield.

sophontteks
2019-03-02, 09:25 PM
Guess I'll have to take it up with my DM to clear it up on where he stands with it.

...I really need to get some better armor. I'm at level 6, and I'm STILL using basic chainmail.
Lol, shoulda thought of that before going to barovia :smallbiggrin:

Agailius
2019-03-02, 10:30 PM
Lol, shoulda thought of that before going to barovia :smallbiggrin:
Look, I TRIED to get some splint mail, but the blacksmith said it'd take two weeks--and we didn't have that long to wait, because the next in-game day we went off to the final dungeon before getting zooped off into CoS!

EDIT: So, after a page of replies, best bets on the table appear to be:

Heavy Armor Master - To help reduce overall damage
Tough - To get a bunch more hitpoints and essentially get a Barbarian hit dice
Healer - To help with keeping the party patched up and take some work off out paladin's back
Inspiring Leader - Help to buff up the party with additional hitpoints, plus plays into my role as the leader/face of the group
Resilient - Buff up my Wis saves to compensate for my mediocre score
Prodigy - Help with my out-of-combat capabilities
Mobile - Helps to augment my area denial tactics
Alert - Helps with initiative and dealing with surprise attacks

What about the Lucky feat, or the UA feats?

Agailius
2019-03-12, 12:02 AM
After some discussion with my DM, we decided that it's probably best for my character to be re-worked, and thus, I was allowed to more or less modify my character's stats from level 1 up to level 6. He's locking our characters in after level five, since he wanted us new guys to get used to playing 5e--kinda cool like that.

First change was to my Fighting Style, where instead of Great Weapons Fighting, I took Duelist. Second changes were to my feats--I still keep the Sentinel feat, but changed out my Polearm Master feat for Shield Master, and my level 6 feat will be Lucky. This quite obvious change in feats also relegated a change in arsenal, which my DM also allowed. I traded out my halberd, pike, a homebrew Reach weapon that did bludgeoning damage, and a light crossbow. Now I have a rapier, flail, a +1 silvered greatsword, and handaxes to replace them and take full advantage of my Duelist fighting style. I obviously kept the sword and +1 shield, tho.

rbstr
2019-03-12, 09:19 AM
After some discussion with my DM, we decided that it's probably best for my character to be re-worked, and thus, I was allowed to more or less modify my character's stats from level 1 up to level 6. He's locking our characters in after level five, since he wanted us new guys to get used to playing 5e--kinda cool like that.

First change was to my Fighting Style, where instead of Great Weapons Fighting, I took Duelist. Second changes were to my feats--I still keep the Sentinel feat, but changed out my Polearm Master feat for Shield Master, and my level 6 feat will be Lucky. This quite obvious change in feats also relegated a change in arsenal, which my DM also allowed. I traded out my halberd, pike, a homebrew Reach weapon that did bludgeoning damage, and a light crossbow. Now I have a rapier, flail, a +1 silvered greatsword, and handaxes to replace them and take full advantage of my Duelist fighting style. I obviously kept the sword and +1 shield, tho.

I think it makes sense to swap to sword and board as a Cavalier. The archetype is build to draw enemies attacks with its marking feature, sentinel will help with that. The AC will be very useful. Remember to knock an enemy prone any round you don't use your Cavalier bonus action attack.

But, also, why would you take the bolded item on this build? It's two-handed so not very useful in your build. Can you maybe trade that in on something like better armor or a warhammer (for d8 bludgeoning option instead of your longsword)

Temperjoke
2019-03-12, 09:29 AM
I didn't see if anyone had mentioned it yet, but I'd recommend that someone take the Healer feat if you haven't already, since your party doesn't seem to have any healing on tap. If nothing else, the ability to stabilize someone will be a definite plus. Even if you take a healing spell with the Magic Initiate feat you can only do that one time per long rest, while the Healer feat can heal someone as long as you have a kit, once per their long rest instead of yours.

Agailius
2019-03-12, 10:22 PM
I think it makes sense to swap to sword and board as a Cavalier. The archetype is build to draw enemies attacks with its marking feature, sentinel will help with that. The AC will be very useful. Remember to knock an enemy prone any round you don't use your Cavalier bonus action attack.

But, also, why would you take the bolded item on this build? It's two-handed so not very useful in your build. Can you maybe trade that in on something like better armor or a warhammer (for d8 bludgeoning option instead of your longsword)I did switch out one of my weapons for a flail, so I have access to bludgeoning damage. Also switched out the pike for a rapier, so piercing is down too. But you have a point--the greatsword isn't too useful for the build.

I have honestly considered making my longsword silvered and +1, but here's the thing--it seems to have magical properties to it already, as apparently it's bypasses skeletons' resistance to slashing damage, and drinks the blood of the enemies I cut it with. Technically, my DM has gone to call it a Mercurial weapon, but has said nothing else about it. Get the feeling I'd need to check with him.

Maybe I can make the rapier silvered, but still unsure of where I can put the +1 to. If I could add it to my +1 shield and thus make it +2, then I've got an AC of 20. Super awesome, but I doubt my DM wants that to happen.

I didn't see if anyone had mentioned it yet, but I'd recommend that someone take the Healer feat if you haven't already, since your party doesn't seem to have any healing on tap. If nothing else, the ability to stabilize someone will be a definite plus. Even if you take a healing spell with the Magic Initiate feat you can only do that one time per long rest, while the Healer feat can heal someone as long as you have a kit, once per their long rest instead of yours.Yeah, Healer is on the list of feats I'm planning to take, but Lucky is the one I'm going with for my level 6 feat. My rolls can be pretty abysmal, so this can really help with my chances of success for those all important Dex and Wis saves.

Agailius
2019-03-14, 06:41 PM
In perfect honesty, considering our party comp (Paladin, Monk, and Rogue) as well as the fact I'm more or less the party face, would it be a better idea to instead be a Banneret? Rallying Cry will give me a nice little way to heal up my party members that gets a bit better with levels, and my 7th level skill gives me an extra proficiency bonus, and a double proficiency in Persuasion. Not as mechanically handy as the Cavalier's class abilities, but great for being the face and helping to patch up wounded allies.

What's yall's opinions?

Dungeon-noob
2019-03-15, 06:25 AM
In perfect honesty, considering our party comp (Paladin, Monk, and Rogue) as well as the fact I'm more or less the party face, would it be a better idea to instead be a Banneret? Rallying Cry will give me a nice little way to heal up my party members that gets a bit better with levels, and my 7th level skill gives me an extra proficiency bonus, and a double proficiency in Persuasion. Not as mechanically handy as the Cavalier's class abilities, but great for being the face and helping to patch up wounded allies.

What's yall's opinions?
Don't become a purple dragon knight, the subclass sucks. It's just a worse palladin in most ways. Stick with a cool fighter, get social proficiencies, and call it a day. Samurai works better then PDK if you insist on changing subclasses.

Agailius
2019-03-15, 11:55 AM
Don't become a purple dragon knight, the subclass sucks. It's just a worse palladin in most ways. Stick with a cool fighter, get social proficiencies, and call it a day. Samurai works better then PDK if you insist on changing subclasses.I don't insist. I really like the Cavalier subclass. I was more thinking about how what'd be good options in consideration for the party line-up. And while I do like the PDK subclass in theory, in mechanics I can see why it wouldn't be recommended. The WotC really need to optimize that subclass.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-15, 04:20 PM
I don't insist. I really like the Cavalier subclass. I was more thinking about how what'd be good options in consideration for the party line-up. And while I do like the PDK subclass in theory, in mechanics I can see why it wouldn't be recommended. The WotC really need to optimize that subclass.

For a party like that, you'll get more value out of Battlemaster or Arcane Archer, as your party lacks ranged options and control. Rather than you changing from Cavalier (which works fine), I think it'd be better for the rest of your party to change, like the Monk to a Kensei, or the Rogue to an Arcane Trickster.

Agailius
2019-03-20, 12:30 AM
Okay, so since class, feats, and stats are out of the way, are there any tips on how I can survive CoS better? Any tips on playing it smart and careful, ways I should be cautious in certain areas?

I know it sounds a bit childish to ask, but I'm a new player to DnD, and as such I haven't really gotten the chance to learn the finer points of surviving a campaign, and I'm trying desperately hard to keep my precious jewel alive. I do at least know that in CoS, Leeroy Jenkins-ing your way into fights that could be otherwise avoided is a quick way to die. But say I'm up against powerful spellcasters or the like--are there other, less magical ways that a purely physical fighter like me could tackle the problems they pose?

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-20, 10:44 AM
Okay, so since class, feats, and stats are out of the way, are there any tips on how I can survive CoS better? Any tips on playing it smart and careful, ways I should be cautious in certain areas?

I know it sounds a bit childish to ask, but I'm a new player to DnD, and as such I haven't really gotten the chance to learn the finer points of surviving a campaign, and I'm trying desperately hard to keep my precious jewel alive. I do at least know that in CoS, Leeroy Jenkins-ing your way into fights that could be otherwise avoided is a quick way to die. But say I'm up against powerful spellcasters or the like--are there other, less magical ways that a purely physical fighter like me could tackle the problems they pose?

In CoS, you need to work with your teammates to know what the plan is. If there's a mage, often the best strategy for the Fighter is to get up close to it, but you might not be able to afford to if you have more squishies to protect than the enemy does. Simply being next to the enemy mage either causes him to force a powerful Saving Throw spell upon you, Disadvantage on their attacks, or force them to use some kind of expensive teleportation effect (like Misty Step) which limits them to Cantrips for the turn.

Also learning how to use Short Rests and Hit Dice will help stretch out your team's resources. If you're trapped in something like a Wall of Force, don't forget about the Ready or Dodge actions.

Also make sure to investigate things thoroughly in CoS. There are a lot of hidden things of value, like magic items and such, and you don't want to miss those. Sometimes, the Fighter might be a better trap-checker than the Rogue, if only because of your higher HP pool. Try to make it so that the team is taking damage equally, so you all can get your share of worth from Hit Dice or a Bard's Song of Rest, or something like that. A team of 4 that spreads out 100 damage evenly still operates at 100%, but a teammate who takes 100 damage and dies leaves a team with only 75% strength. Learn how to rotate risks, so everyone stays alive.