PDA

View Full Version : Player Help decision paralysis - High level edition

nickl_2000
2019-02-28, 09:02 AM
So, I'm stuck yet again in a decision paralysis moment.

Background
I've got a level 10 Moon Druid/4 Hunter Ranger. He is the groups primary healer, battlefield control, and melee combatant
Stats as they stand right now are
Str 8 but at 19 due to ogre gauntlets
Dex 14
Con 20 (belt of dwarven kind)
Int 10
Wis 18
Cha 6
AC: 21 (dragonhide half-plate, +1 shield, defensive fighting style)

This is partially from rolls and partially from magic item. It a magic rich environment converted from Pathfinder, so I've been able to buy lots of util. I've got Staff of the Woodlands, +1 Bone shield, Cape of the Montebanks, Goggles of Night, Belt of Dwarvenkind, and several other utility items.

Feats: Healer, Sentinel, Mobile, MI: Wizard (BB, Prestidigitation).

In combat I generally pound have a concentration spell going to either add to damage, heal, control the battlefield, or summon and hit things with Booming Blade and my staff. I also find that I often have spells remaining at the end of the day due to there being so many concentration druid spells. As I get beat up though, I tend to move to Elemental Form to use my wildshapes (or utility usage of them).

Other PCs: melee bladelock, melee stone sorcerer, ranged bard/battlemaster, dex EK/rogue

As a group, we tend to hit places hard and fast. We don't take a lot of short rests, and we do a fair amount of healing out of combat to keep the party running.

We will likely hit level 16 by the end of the campaign

Question:
In my next level I'm looking at either Druid level 11 or Life Cleric 1.

Life Cleric gives me more utility options in cantrips, better healing with healing word (DMs rules are that the spell acts normally in combat, outside of combat you get 1 heal per turn), 1 more AC due to dragonhide fullplate, and more utility in spell selection since I can fill use cleric slots for emergency healing.

Druid 11 gives me level 6 Druid spells (of which wind walking will likely be immediately useful for the party in the next session) and likely another feat/asi before the end of the game.

What seems like the better option for the character in your opinion? Both are solid from an RP perspective for him, so no need to worry about that.

TL:DR Reached level 15, currently level 10 Moon Druid/Level 4 Ranger Melee character. Take level in Druid for level 6 spells or level in Life Cleric for better heals more utility.

Pex
2019-02-28, 12:58 PM
Your party survived this long with the healing you have. A little bit more is not going to mean anything. You already have the Healer feat which is better than most healing spells. Have the party get Greater Healing potions if you need it. High level play needs high level power. Go druid and get the 6th level spell.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-02-28, 05:04 PM
Your party survived this long with the healing you have. A little bit more is not going to mean anything. You already have the Healer feat which is better than most healing spells. Have the party get Greater Healing potions if you need it. High level play needs high level power. Go druid and get the 6th level spell.
Agreed. I'd take Druid 12, followed by Ranger 5 to pick up Extra Attack.

Rukelnikov
2019-02-28, 05:22 PM
Agreed. I'd take Druid 12, followed by Ranger 5 to pick up Extra Attack.

This, consider which form you are fighting in, if they only have a single powerful attack, Extra Attack can add a lot of damage.