PDA

View Full Version : NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer Expansion

Freelance Henchman
2007-09-28, 04:30 AM
I just got it and played for a couple of hours. Performance seems to be improved a little, and there are some cosmetic changes to the interface, but nothing drastic. The story is interesting so far. The overall tone of the expansion seems a little more serious somehow than the original campaign. Your companions are also a little less like caricatures, and a lot more serious, although there is some humor. Level cap has been raised to 30, but I haven't looked into the epic feats and spells too much yet.

Anyone else? How do you like it so far?

Archonic Energy
2007-09-28, 05:16 AM
I just got it and played for a couple of hours. Performance seems to be improved a little, and there are some cosmetic changes to the interface, but nothing drastic. The story is interesting so far. The overall tone of the expansion seems a little more serious somehow than the original campaign. Your companions are also a little less like caricatures, and a lot more serious, although there is some humor. Level cap has been raised to 30, but I haven't looked into the epic feats and spells too much yet.

Anyone else? How do you like it so far?

but... i thought... later.... OMG!!!!!

BRB.
*Runs to Game*

DeathQuaker
2007-09-28, 06:44 AM
but... i thought... later.... OMG!!!!!

BRB.
*Runs to Game*

*considers calling in sick and following after Archonic*

Archonic Energy
2007-09-28, 07:27 AM
*considers calling in sick and following after Archonic*
*looks over sholder for DQ*

you mis-understand1...

i am at "work2"...

*strokes copy loveingly*
Soon we'll be at home my sweet...

DQ have they finished that NWN2 module set in the Planescape universe yet?

1) misunderstand... hyphonated or not?
2) by "work" i mean they are paying me to be in the building

Freelance Henchman
2007-09-28, 08:35 AM
Little update: its a lot harder than the NWN2 OC. I may have to backtrack a little.

Theres an interesting plot device that makes resting kind of costly (the "spirit meter"). I'm not sure if I like it, I get slapped with massive disadvantages at the moment.

Archonic Energy
2007-09-28, 08:42 AM
Theres an interesting plot device that makes resting kind of costly (the spir...
*Covers ears and sings loudly as mention of Spir...*
LA LA LA

jeez the manual calls it a spoiler so i don't wanna hear about it!

Freelance Henchman
2007-09-28, 08:48 AM
*Covers ears and sings loudly as mention of Spir...*
LA LA LA

jeez the manual calls it a spoiler so i don't wanna hear about it!

Khelgar kills Bishop! :smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2007-09-28, 08:50 AM
Khelgar kills Bishop! :smallwink:

next you'll be letting slip that the KoS is really TTO!

Crazy Owl
2007-09-28, 01:03 PM
This is out? Strange, can't find it on Amazon.

Freelance Henchman
2007-09-28, 02:01 PM
This is out? Strange, can't find it on Amazon.

It's out in Europe only for now, US gets it 10th October or so.

BTW: Turns out Qara is Grobnar's half-sister! Whodathunk!?

Spreeth
2007-09-28, 02:09 PM
OMG... I have to wait until the 10th to play it... Agggh! Why couldn't my parents have had me in Europe so that I could play the Expansion? Oh well, I guess I will continue to entertain myself with Blue Dragon and D&D Tactics until it arrives and I can have a decent RPG.

Om
2007-09-28, 02:26 PM
It's out in Europe only for now, US gets it 10th October or so.That's a turnaround for the books...

Archonic Energy
2007-09-28, 03:19 PM

Ahh.... it seems we europeans are the unpaid Beta testers...

I AM NOT AMUSED:smallfurious:

No voices
No Text
No descriptions of items

the new campaign is "Unnamed"

i'll say this again incase anyone at Obsidian is listening

I.:smallfurious: AM.:smallfurious: NOT.:smallfurious: AMUSED.:smallfurious:

now fix the damn thing!

Dihan
2007-09-28, 03:42 PM
It works for me.

Jibar
2007-09-28, 03:51 PM
Wait wait wait. This thing is out?
Last I heard of it, it was about a month back, when it was still stuck in development.
I can't believe it's out now, considering the amount of work that had to be done yet.

Dihan
2007-09-28, 03:52 PM
I received it in the post this morning after it was dispatched last night.

Om
2007-09-28, 03:55 PM
I can't believe it's out now, considering the amount of work that had to be done yet.*cough*KotOR II*cough*

Freelance Henchman
2007-09-28, 03:56 PM
Ahh.... it seems we europeans are the unpaid Beta testers...

I AM NOT AMUSED:smallfurious:

No voices
No Text
No descriptions of items

the new campaign is "Unnamed"

i'll say this again incase anyone at Obsidian is listening

I.:smallfurious: AM.:smallfurious: NOT.:smallfurious: AMUSED.:smallfurious:

now fix the damn thing!

Best check the official forums:
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewforum.html?forum=121

Theres several people who had this kind of problem.

Archonic Energy
2007-09-28, 04:02 PM
It works for me.

*Beats Keyboard*
:smallfurious: RAAGHH! :smallfurious:
*reads NWN2 forums*

that's better.
ok, so the game doesn't like it if you've already updated it to version 1.10

the preposed solution is to delete the 1.10 .Tlk files & re-install MotB

sometimes it pays to go on a rant at the NWN2 forums.

so while that's sorting it's self out...

the US get to Preorder & get a bonus feat which allows a you to forge a unique weapon...
Anyone in the US who has pre-ordered: i will sacrifice my first born child to whichever deity you request* if you can send me a copy of the exe which installs the feat

*cough*KotOR II*cough*
ain't that the sorry truth!

Edit: @^ heh sorry but i was one step ahead that time... now to see if i have any saved games i can restore from...

* though i won't really kill anyone but i'd really appreciate it

Crazy Owl
2007-09-28, 04:40 PM

BTW: Turns out Qara is Grobnar's half-sister! Whodathunk!?

I do live in Europe...

edit: Ah game seems to have it, guess Ill have to go get it tomorrow.

Desidus
2007-09-28, 07:05 PM
*Beats Keyboard*
:smallfurious: RAAGHH! :smallfurious:
*reads NWN2 forums*

that's better.
ok, so the game doesn't like it if you've already updated it to version 1.10

the preposed solution is to delete the 1.10 .Tlk files & re-install MotB

sometimes it pays to go on a rant at the NWN2 forums.

so while that's sorting it's self out...

the US get to Preorder & get a bonus feat which allows a you to forge a unique weapon...
Anyone in the US who has pre-ordered: i will sacrifice my first born child to whichever deity you request* if you can send me a copy of the exe which installs the feat

ain't that the sorry truth!

Edit: @^ heh sorry but i was one step ahead that time... now to see if i have any saved games i can restore from...

* though i won't really kill anyone but i'd really appreciate it

WHAT?!?

Just to let the record show, I just preordered it in finding that out. Not the first born thing, but the feat thing, btw.

DeathQuaker
2007-09-28, 09:32 PM

I haven't seen anything about any such feat (just checked the NWN2.com site... but why I'm counting on Atari to tell me something useful, I don't know... :smallsigh: )... buuuut... it's probably a matter of a console cheat to get it...

Or eventually the thing will show up on the NWN2 vault.

Or, when some patch comes out, we'll all mysteriously receive it, just like we all somehow got "Blessed of Waukeen" when 1.06 rolled around. :smalltongue:

And I'd send you it, Arch, but I'm not preordering. Never have, prolly never will. It's irrational, but I like that visceral satisfaction of going to the store and grabbing a copy fresh off the shelf.

Oh, and to answer your question, Arch--Purgatorio's in internal beta. I imagine it'll go to public beta and then be released after that. My guess is sometime around November-December. They may also pause to do any compatibility updating that might be necessary to work w/ 1.10/MOTB.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-09-28, 09:57 PM
Gosh! I've got to beat the OC with something soon! I've been spending so much time playing the first one that I'd forgotten all about it!

Archonic Energy
2007-09-29, 06:03 AM
I haven't seen anything about any such feat (just checked the NWN2.com site... but why I'm counting on Atari to tell me something useful, I don't know... :smallsigh: )... buuuut... it's probably a matter of a console cheat to get it...

Or eventually the thing will show up on the NWN2 vault.

Or, when some patch comes out, we'll all mysteriously receive it, just like we all somehow got "Blessed of Waukeen" when 1.06 rolled around. :smalltongue:

And I'd send you it, Arch, but I'm not preordering. Never have, prolly never will. It's irrational, but I like that visceral satisfaction of going to the store and grabbing a copy fresh off the shelf.

Oh, and to answer your question, Arch--Purgatorio's in internal beta. I imagine it'll go to public beta and then be released after that. My guess is sometime around November-December. They may also pause to do any compatibility updating that might be necessary to work w/ 1.10/MOTB.

http://www.atari.com/nwn2/motb//presell/
*whistles innocently*

Don't get me started on the "Blessed of Wakeen" feat... i got the collectors edition and not they've "fixed" the game so everyone gets it...
and by fixed i mean broke it, it's supposed to be a perment effect but now i have to switch it on whenever i want to buy the unique items!

and MotB DISABLES it! (and the merchant's friend... but that 10% was a bit overpowered!)

i'd be annoyed if i wasn't so engrossed in the storyline!

and thanks DQ, i must remember to keep a better eye on that

WHAT?!?

Just to let the record show, I just preordered it in finding that out. Not the first born thing, but the feat thing, btw.

and here i was ready with the sacrificial dagger... :smallwink:

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-09-29, 12:51 PM
So what is this feat and what does it do?

Arang
2007-09-29, 01:01 PM
If memory serves, "Blessed of Waukeen" gives you +1 to all saving throws and lets you buy special items from certain and arbitrarily placed shops. You might also get a discount on all items, just in case you somehow were not capable of buying a small country with your mulit-million GP fortune to begin with. You originally only got it with the Collector's Edition but they put it in for everyone in patch 1.06. I don't know why.

EDIT: Oh, and your head glowed. I can't explain that either.

Freelance Henchman
2007-09-29, 05:45 PM
OK, I just finished the game. I won't say anything specific about the ending since this isn't the right place, but I will say that I liked it. It has some nice closure, unlike the NWN2 OC ending, and made me happy I bought the game. The last few chapters are more varied and story-based than the OC, which was fairly boring thanks to endless undead swarms.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-09-29, 06:13 PM
If memory serves, "Blessed of Waukeen" gives you +1 to all saving throws and lets you buy special items from certain and arbitrarily placed shops. You might also get a discount on all items, just in case you somehow were not capable of buying a small country with your mulit-million GP fortune to begin with. You originally only got it with the Collector's Edition but they put it in for everyone in patch 1.06. I don't know why.

EDIT: Oh, and your head glowed. I can't explain that either.

I was talking about the new one. I know about Blessing of Waukeen. Incidentally, even though I had the feat my head didn't glow. What's up with that?

Green Bean
2007-09-29, 10:27 PM
I was talking about the new one. I know about Blessing of Waukeen. Incidentally, even though I had the feat my head didn't glow. What's up with that?

For some reason, you have to activate it manually. Right-click your character, and select it from your special abilities. I know there's one vendor in Port Llast that sells you special items without you having to activate it, but I'm not sure which other shops will work if you actually use it.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-09-30, 12:09 AM
Too late. I've heard that terrible things happen if you already have the game at 1.10 when you install the expansion, so I uninstalled the game and deleted my save games (I hadn't beaten the OC anyway), and I'm going to wait until I actually have the expansion before I reinstall it. Besides, I've got another character I'm going to put through SoU and HotU! :smallbiggrin:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-09-30, 11:03 AM
I'm not exactly sure where you guys that have the game are, but here in the US, it looks like the game is released on the 9th of October.

Archonic Energy
2007-09-30, 11:34 AM
I'm not exactly sure where you guys that have the game are, but here in the US, it looks like the game is released on the 9th of October.

UK. :smalltongue:

well you guys get the nwe series of Heroes so we gotta get something

Crazy Owl
2007-09-30, 02:22 PM
Bah getting it earlier hasn't turned out so well. All the online persistant worlds seem to be either American and I can't play them because I have the expansion installed and they don't, or French and I don't speak French.

Moral Wiz
2007-09-30, 02:28 PM
Hmm.

Did anyone in the UK buy it from somewhere other than GAME? I looked around the shops, and GAME were the only ones to stock it.

Just curious.

Crazy Owl
2007-09-30, 03:19 PM
Yeah I found that. I checked Amazon, play.com and Gamestation but only Game seemed to sell it.

Moral Wiz
2007-09-30, 03:23 PM
I hit Virgin, Smiths and a reliable local. None of them had it.

Anyone find it somewhere other than GAME? I'm getting curious now.

Dihan
2007-09-30, 03:54 PM
I got mine off Amazon.

ApatheticDespot
2007-09-30, 06:45 PM
How do the new classes look? I understand that the Mystic Theurge didn't make the cut :smallfrown:. is there a consolation prize for casters in there?

Crazy Owl
2007-10-01, 01:51 AM
Red Wizards, thats about it for casters.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-10-01, 02:19 AM
What about the Arcane Sage of Candlekeep? That's built with casters in mind.

DeathQuaker
2007-10-01, 06:47 AM
What about the Arcane Sage of Candlekeep? That's built with casters in mind.

Yup. Looks like a good class, too, esp. if you like metamagic. (Though it's "Arcane Scholar", IIRC).

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-10-01, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I just noticed that. Sorry, I've been up all night writing.

Archonic Energy
2007-10-01, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I just noticed that. Sorry, I've been up all night writingplaying MotB.
fixed that for you. :smalltongue:

it's not bad... hard, but not bad.

i'm kinda wishing i phoned in sick to work today... next time i'm going to run a weapons master/fighter through (my first attempt is a Sor/RDD/EK)

Dihan
2007-10-01, 11:42 AM
I've just completed it.

Archonic Energy
2007-10-01, 12:41 PM
i just got a E-mail from Atari...

asking me if i want to pre-order the game!

they really should look at the location i provided when i registered NWN2!

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-10-01, 12:48 PM
fixed that for you. :smalltongue:

it's not bad... hard, but not bad.

i'm kinda wishing i phoned in sick to work today... next time i'm going to run a weapons master/fighter through (my first attempt is a Sor/RDD/EK)

I live in America where the game's not out yet. And yes, I really was writing. It was an essay for my Argumentative Writing class.

Tom_Violence
2007-10-01, 02:59 PM
I've just completed it.

Me too! I completed it ages ago in fact!

This is not actually true, but as far as anyone gleaning any real content from such a post goes, it doesn't make much difference.

Anyway, actually relevant - how long is the expansion in terms of time-wasting potential? And is anything new added beyond the usual spells, feats, classes, etc.?

Freelance Henchman
2007-10-01, 03:16 PM
Me too! I completed it ages ago in fact!

This is not actually true, but as far as anyone gleaning any real content from such a post goes, it doesn't make much difference.

Anyway, actually relevant - how long is the expansion in terms of time-wasting potential? And is anything new added beyond the usual spells, feats, classes, etc.?

I did a fast run-through that took about 20 hours. Mind that I am not a huge expert in D&D, I easily get confused by simple quests and I had a cold with light fever :smallsmile: Also, I played in normal non-hardcore mode, so its a little easier.

As for anything new, well max level is 30 now. New chars start at level 18 and are given some equipment, but no weapon.

Apart from the new epic feats and new classes etc. the most intrusive new gameplay feature is something that gives you negatives to attributes and such dependent on real time, and when you rest it goes down quickly so you need to be careful with it. I hated this feature at first, but its possible to live with it. I don't want to get more specific because it really gives a lot away of the plot.

Dihan
2007-10-04, 03:55 PM
I noticed a few new class features whilst messing around with the DebugMode codes.

Druid: Plant Shape; can turn into a Treant or a Shambling Mound.
Warlock: Imbue Item; can use UMD instead of a required spell to craft items.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-10-07, 10:49 PM
If Imbue Item is going to be as useful as I hope it will be (meaning that I won't need to take crafting feats as a warlock to make armor and weapons) than it will definately boost the appeal of the warlock to me.

Archonic Energy
2007-10-08, 08:19 AM
If Imbue Item is going to be as useful as I hope it will be (meaning that I won't need to take crafting feats as a warlock to make armor and weapons) than it will definately boost the appeal of the warlock to me.

nope you still need the feats, just not the paticular spell

oh and the warlock doesn't have the ability to take the feats... yet

roll on 1.11

Green Bean
2007-10-08, 09:25 AM
oh and the warlock doesn't have the ability to take the feats... yet

roll on 1.11

I wouldn't get up too much hope. After all, in NWN2, you could find the Time Stop spell in the debugmode list, but it was never implemented.

Dihan
2007-10-08, 09:38 AM
You can always cheat the feats onto your character, and if you feel guilty, take two feats away from yourself to compensate.

Green Bean
2007-10-08, 09:43 AM
You can always cheat the feats onto your character, and if you feel guilty, take two feats away from yourself to compensate.

Yeah, but unless the code for them has been added, it won't have any effect. The listings in the debugmode console are mostly placeholders for the programmers; if they were perfectly functional, why not just stick them in the game?

Archonic Energy
2007-10-08, 09:55 AM
Yeah, but unless the code for them has been added, it won't have any effect. The listings in the debugmode console are mostly placeholders for the programmers; if they were perfectly functional, why not just stick them in the game?

the feats ARE in the game and the Imbue Item has been implimented however they didn't allow the warlock to take the feats.

adding the feats on manually does work... in fact i think there's a user made fix in the Vault

Green Bean
2007-10-08, 10:35 AM
the feats ARE in the game and the Imbue Item has been implimented however they didn't allow the warlock to take the feats.

adding the feats on manually does work... in fact i think there's a user made fix in the Vault

Cool. I guess I'll have to roll up a Warlock when I pick up the game.

Archonic Energy
2007-10-08, 01:50 PM
Cool. I guess I'll have to roll up a Warlock when I pick up the game.

you can't "roll up" any char it's a point buy system :smalltongue:

Wabbajack
2007-10-08, 02:05 PM
The funny thing is before MotB warlocks could take the creation feats but didnt have imbue item, now they have imbue item but cant take the feats XD

Green Bean
2007-10-08, 02:14 PM
you can't "roll up" any char it's a point buy system :smalltongue:

I know, but somehow, "I'm going to go utilize a system in which I increase my stats from their default level using a static point reserve with increasing costs based on total bonus up a character" doesn't have the same ring to it. :smallbiggrin:

Tom_Violence
2007-10-08, 08:35 PM
I know, but somehow, "I'm going to go utilize a system in which I increase my stats from their default level using a static point reserve with increasing costs based on total bonus up a character" doesn't have the same ring to it. :smallbiggrin:

Isn't it just horrible when you have to resort to using words like 'make'?