PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Role Playing a different culture in a real world setting

MonkeySage
2019-02-28, 11:44 AM
The campaign is set in the real world, or at least a fantasy version of our world. So real world cultures are represented in the setting. You belong to one culture, but you wish to role play a different culture.

Aside from some obvious points like avoiding stereotypes, how might you role play this other culture effectively and respectfully, without bleaching anything that makes that culture unique?

It's one thing to write such characters, but to role play them in an ongoing campaign seems like it'd be a little trickier.

The Glyphstone
2019-02-28, 02:16 PM
Research, research, research. Don't just avoid stereotypes, learn what the actuality is. Maybe learn a few words (insults and profanity are classic) in the dominant language or languages, and use those instead of what you'd say normally.

AceOfFools
2019-02-28, 09:44 PM
I was playing an urban fantasy game and I rolled an Israel-born, Texas-raised Jew. I learned my GM was Jewish when he informed me that I had given my character his Hebrew name.

I don't have much advice, other make sure your character is a deep and well rounded person. Playing a character who has a few stereotypical qualities is different from playing a stereotype.

Mostly, this is just a hilarious anecdote.

Airk
2019-03-01, 10:24 AM
Advice here:
https://jamesmendezhodes.com/blog/2019/2/14/may-i-play-a-character-from-another-race