PDA

View Full Version : Notecards for DMing

LibraryOgre
2019-02-28, 03:16 PM
Ok, I find it easier to run the game if I have 3*5 cards of the monsters for quick reference.

What would you consider necessary to record in 10 lines in 2 columns for a monster? HP? AC? Attributes? Attacks?

JoeJ
2019-02-28, 03:31 PM
Apart from stat block info, for anything that the PCs might conceivable talk with, I always include a one-sentence quote that helps remind me how that creature speaks.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-28, 03:33 PM
Ok, I find it easier to run the game if I have 3*5 cards of the monsters for quick reference.

What would you consider necessary to record in 10 lines in 2 columns for a monster? HP? AC? Attributes? Attacks?

HP, AC, Saving Throws, Attacks. Most of the time, you don't need to know what the Wisdom is of a Harpy. If you do, just make it up on the spot. 14. There. I don't know what Wisdom it's supposed to have, but 14 seems reasonable for a Harpy, so that's what it is now.

If you got free space, add some optional stuff so that you can use the same notecard for multiple creatures in the same encounter. Maybe have baby harpies or a matriarch harpy key off of the old information, so that you only need one card for all the creatures in an encounter.

ChildofLuthic
2019-02-28, 03:46 PM
I condense my stuff pretty well by just making the letters small, but what you really need is:

Monster
HP 69 AC 12
blindsight, swim 20ft, spiderclimb
Bite +8, 1d6+4
Clawx2 +8, 1d4+4

With the third line just listing abilities you might use in combat.

stoutstien
2019-02-28, 04:01 PM

learning how to abbreviate a stat block is one of the best skills to learn.
you dont really need to put the ability total down you only use the modifier 90% of the time. what i do is +2 is 14, +2+ is 13, and +2- which is a lot quicker to read than 14(+2). i could toss a bunch out and even without clues i bet you could get the reference point.

gnoll tracker
str +1-
dex +4+
con +2
wis +1
int -1
cha +2
move 30/ S 15
DV 60/120
keen S adv scent

action SS X 2 1d6+2
BA hide/dash

mephnick
2019-02-28, 04:15 PM
I always include a line about tactics.

"Will grab heavy armoured characters and attempt to drag them in to the river."

"Will ambush weakest looking memeber of party if possible."

"Will stun and try to eat."

That kind of thing.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-28, 04:22 PM
Will stun and try to eat."

Ugh, a troll that deals non-lethal damage to make sure that you're not dead when he eats you. That's a brutal way to go.

KyleG
2019-02-28, 05:41 PM
what do you search for cards like that. Cue cards, flash cards and visitor cards all are too broad for something like aliexpress.

LibraryOgre
2019-03-01, 11:12 AM
what do you search for cards like that. Cue cards, flash cards and visitor cards all are too broad for something like aliexpress.

You search a stationery store, for 3*5 cards, and hand-write everything, like old men did in ancient days.