PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Factotum Class for 5e, yet another version

whiplashomega
2019-02-28, 03:41 PM
I built this a couple years ago, and have play tested it some already, but thought the forum might like to have their crack at it. Design notes in bold

And starting design notes. My primary goal with the class as a whole was to A. maintain balance, B. maximize versatility. C. make it a unique class that doesn't step on any other classes signature abilities.

This is why there is no sneak attack, no divine domains, no wizard school features, no wild shape, etc.

Issues I am aware of but haven't gotten around to fixing: front-loaded class abilities make it potentially overpowered as a multiclass dip, especially 1-2 levels combined with a class of your choice. Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster, and Bladesinger especially get a LOT of versatility out of a 2 level factotum dip (additional spells, inspired attack, inspired damage, inspired skills, etc). The Skill Monkey may be too good at skill checks, especially in later levels when there are plenty of epiphany points to go around.

The Factotum is the ultimate seeker of knowledge. A student of all schools, the Factotum seeks any kind of knowledge, and uses everything she learns to her advantage. Her constant study allows the Factotum to display flashes of inspiration, filling any role necessary, if only for a short time. The Factotum is nothing if not versatile, although occasionally unfocused.

Above all, the Factotum is prepared for anything, any circumstance and any challenge, at least when they manage to make it out of the library. While the Factotum's focus on learning new things is similar to the wizard's focus on arcane knowledge, the Factotum does not share the Wizard's focus. The Factotum is just as interested in that tome on combat styles, or the architects detailed schematics as that previously unknown spell.

Factotum's as civilians often work as librarians, scientists, or advisors to people of power. As adventurers they travel the world seeking out stores of hidden knowledge, documenting unusual creatures, learning from reclusive masters of various arts and skills, or just meeting unusual people, enjoying foods they could never experience at home, and seeing the sights. In all of their doings they have a talent for coming up with the solution no one else thought of, and with a flash of inspiration, snatching victory and success from the jaws of failure and defeat.

Humans and half-elves are the most common factotums, followed by halflings and gnomes.

The Factotum
Level Prof. Bonus Feature Cantrips Known 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
1 2 Inspired, Inspired Skills 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 2 Inspired Attack, Inspired Damage, Spellcasting 4 2 0 0 0 0
3 2 Factotum Philosophy Feature 4 3 0 0 0 0
4 2 Ability Score Improvement 5 3 0 0 0 0
5 3 Extra Attack 5 4 2 0 0 0
6 3 Ability Score Improvement 5 4 2 0 0 0
7 3 Factotum Philosophy Feature 5 4 3 0 0 0
8 3 Ability Score Improvement 5 4 3 0 0 0
9 4 5 4 3 2 0 0
10 4 Factotum Philosophy Feature 6 4 3 2 0 0
11 4 Inspired Defense 4 6 3 3 0 0
12 4 Ability Score Improvement 6 4 3 3 0 0
13 5 - 6 4 3 3 1 0
14 5 Inspired Aid 6 4 3 3 1 0
15 5 Factotum Philosophy Feature 6 4 3 3 2 0
16 5 Ability Score Improvement 6 4 3 3 2 0
17 6 6 4 3 3 3 1
18 6 6 4 3 3 3 1
19 6 Ability Score Improvement 6 4 3 3 3 2
20 6 Inspired Recovery 6 4 3 3 3 2
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per factotum level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution Modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8(or 5) + your Constitution modifier per factotum level after 1st.

It isn't a full-time front line fighter, and it isn't a back-line caster, so d8 hitdie.

Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor, shields
Weapons: Simple and martial weapons
Tools: Thieves' Tools
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skills: Choose any three skills

I tried to give it enough to give it versatility, without overpowering it. The lack of medium or heavy armor proficiency pushes into a dex dependent build, but I felt giving it medium armor would be too much.

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

(a) 2 weapons or (b) 1 weapon and a shield
(a) a short bow and 20 arrows, (b) a light crossbow and 20 bolts, or (c) two handaxes
(a) A dungeoneer's pack or (b) an explorer's pack
Leather armor
(a) a component pouch or (b) an arcane focus
Thief's tools
Class Features
Inspired
The Factotum gets a number of epiphany points that they can spend to activate certain class features. They get epiphany points equal to their intelligence modifier plus half their class level (rounded down), minimum 1. They recover all of their epiphany points when they finish a short rest.

A batted back and forth between making it intelligence dependent and making it based strictly on level, eventually deciding on this half-and-half approach

Inspired Skills
You can spend an epiphany point when making any skill check to add your intelligence bonus to the check.

I constantly worry that this feature could lead to overpowered skill checks, especially combined with expertise from a rogue or bard dip. However, a feature similar to this I believe is the beating heart of the class and what it is supposed to do: be able to step in when it counts.

Spellcasting
Starting at 2nd level, you start to pick up the intricacies of casting spells. As a student of magic, you have a spellbook containing spells that you have picked up in your travels.

The fact that it is a half-caster is meant to invoke that it is not primarily focused on spellcasting. The fact that it can take spells from any list is meant to invoke that neither is it focused on a particular type of spellcasting. This also allows me to drop a separate healing feature that you often see in Factotum conversions while still allowing it to act as a backup healer, because it has the option to take spells like Cure Wounds and Healing Word. I felt using a spellbook was representative of its focus on knowledge and learning, similar to a wizard. It also adds versatility, that primary goal of the class.

Cantrips
At 2nd level, you know four cantrips of your choice from any spell list. You learn additional cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Factotum table.

I chose to give it as many cantrips as a sorcerer again because of its supposed focus on versatility. Learning the basics of a lot of things, and that is what cantrips are: the basics.

Spellbook
At 2nd level you have a spellbook containing six 1st-level spells of your choice.

Preparing and Casting Spells
The Factotum table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher as well as 1 epiphany point. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

You prepare the list of spells that are available for you to cast. To do so choose a number of spells from your spellbook equal to your intelligence modifier + one half of your factotum level (rounded down, minimum of 1 spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

For example, if you're a 5th-level factotum, you have four 1st-level and two 2nd-level spell slots. With an intelligence of 16, your list of prepared spells can include five spells of 1st or 2nd level, in any combination, chosen from your spellbook. If you prepare the 1st-level spell magic missile, you can cast it using a 1st-level or a 2nd-level slot. Casting a spell doesn't remove it from your list of prepared spells.

You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of spells requires time spent studying your spellbook and memorizing incantations and gestures you must make to cast a spell: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

Spellcasting Ability
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your spells, since you learn your spells through dedicated study and memorization. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one. Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your intelligence modifier.

Ritual Casting
You can cast a spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don't need to have the spell prepared.

Spellcasting Focus
You can use an arcane focus or a divine focus (found in chapter 5) as a spellcasting focus for your spells.

Learning Spells of 1st Level and Higher
Each time you gain a Factotum level after 2nd, you can add one spell of your choice to your spellbook. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots, as shown on the Factotum table. On your adventures, you might find other spells that you can add to your spellbook (see the “Your Spellbook” sidebar).

Literally just halved the wizard's spell learning progression

Inspired Attack
Starting at 2nd level, you can spend an epiphany point before making an attack roll to add your intelligence bonus to the attack roll.

When you really need to land that attack, do it.

Inspired Damage
Starting at 2nd level, as a bonus action you can spend an epiphany point to add 1d8 to any weapon or spell damage roll you make until the start of your next turn.

The first of these that requires an action, I specifically wanted it to compete with 2 weapon fighting for the bonus action, because I felt adding 1d8 damage to 3 attacks (plus a potential reaction) was overpowered given the classes other abilities.

Factotum Philosophy
At 3rd level your studies begin to focus on a particular specialty. Choose one of the Factotum Philosophies below, you gain different abilities depending on which philosophy you choose. You gain additional philosophy features at 7th, 10th and 15th level.

Ability Score Improvement
At 4th level, and again at 6th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you gain a +2 bonus to one ability score, +1 to two ability scores, or a feat.

Yes, it gets an extra ASI at 6. Again, versatility is the name of the game.

Extra Attack
At 5th level you can make 2 attacks when you take the attack action on your turn.

Because this guy is somewhere between a rogue, fighter, wizard, this is the fightery bit.

Inspired Defense
At 11th level you can spend 1 epiphany point to use the dodge or disengage actions as bonus actions on your turn.

Like step of the wind! But you have to wait 11 levels for it. Meant to provide some additional combat options

Inspired Aid
At 14th level you can spend 1 epiphany point to use the help action as a bonus action on your turn.

Like the mastermind ability! but you have to be adjacent still, and it costs resources.

Inspired Recovery
At 20th level you no longer require a short rest to regain your epiphany points, but can do so by spending 10 minutes reading and studying your books and materials.

Have 10 minutes? Be awesome again in the next fight! I'm not sure this capstone really accomplishes what I want it to, because if you have 10 minutes you probably have an hour. I want to keep the spirit of the ability: recover epiphany points quickly, keep on going with your factotum awesomeness, but wasn't sure the best way to build it.

Factotum Philosophies
Brains Over Brawn
Those who follow the Brains over Brawn philosophy have focused their studies on the weaknesses of their potential enemies, taking the idea of knowledge as power into the field of combat. These scholars always seem to know their enemies weaknesses, and can use that knowledge to get around their defenses.

This philosophy is supposed to be combat focused.

Know Your Enemy
Starting at 3rd level, your combat tactics focus on knowing your opponent and how to get past its defenses. You can use your intelligence modifier instead of strength or dexterity on weapon attack rolls and damage rolls.

Be more SAD!

Fighting Style Mimic
At 7th level the Brains over Brawn Factotum can pick one of the following fighting styles. Whenever they finish a long rest they can spend 3 epiphany points to replace this fighting style with a different one from the list. If you already have a particular fighting style granted by another class you cannot pick that fighting style again.

Archery - You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
Dueling - When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
Two-Weapon Fighting - When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.
Great Weapon Fighting - When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.

Fighting Style I feel like is the quintessential fighting class feature, being part of Fighter, Ranger, and Paladin classes. But we're Factotum's here, we don't specialize! We change it up! Today we're an archer, tomorrow we're a duelist.

Improved Inspired Damage
At 10th level, when you use the inspired damage feature you add 2d8 to your damage rolls.

Because more damage is good. This would go at 11th level to be similar to a Paladin's Improved Divine Smite, but we have a regular class feature at 11, so...

Improved inspired Attack
At 15th level, when you use an epiphany point to add a bonus to your attack roll, you can make an additional attack as a bonus action, adding your intelligence modifier to both attacks.

Get a 3rd attack! sort of, uses a bonus action because I wanted it to compete with Inspired Damage, not complement. You have to use 1 or the other.

Arcane Dilettante
The Arcane Dilettante has studied magic enough that they begin to seem less like their faking it, and more like a practiced wizard. They no longer rely on bursts of inspiration for their most practiced spells, and can put together an idea of how to cast even unpracticed spells with less effort.

The castery one!

Cantrip Master
At 3rd level you have become particularly adept at casting very basic spells. You learn 2 additional cantrips in addition to the number shown in the Factotum table.

Because I feel like cantrips are so... Factotum

Additional Skill Proficiency
At 3rd level the arcane dilettante gains proficiency in the arcana skill. If they were already proficient in the arcana skill they gain expertise in the arcana skill (can add their proficiency bonus twice).

This is meant to make sure they are ready for the level 7 ability coming up...

Keen Observer
Starting at 7th level you have become a proficient enough spell caster that you can make a spell work with only minimal study. Starting when they gain this feature, the Factotum can add any spell of 1st level or higher they successfully observe being cast to their spellbook. In order to successfully add it to their spellbook the following conditions must be met:
The spell must be of a level the Factotum can cast.
The Factotum must be able to see (if it has somatic/material components) and hear (if it has a verbal component) the spell being cast. If the spell is cast without any components, such as a Sorcerer using the subtle spell feat, the Factotum cannot use this feature.
At the time they observe the spell being cast the Factotum must succeed on an intelligence (arcana) check with a DC equal to 15 + the spells level at the time the spell is cast. If they fail this check they can try again only if they observe the spell being cast again.

By god we may be only able to cast 2nd level spells, but give me enough study and I will be able to cast them all!

Quick Study
Starting at 10th level, whenever The Factotum finishes a short rest they can trade 1 spell from their prepared list for a different spell in their spellbook.

Every wizard wishes they could do this, and for a Factotum it actually makes sense.

Sage
Starting at 15th level you can cast spells without spending epiphany points on them.

I'm not faking it anymore, I'm actually a half decent caster! Ok, I'm level 15 and still don't have fifth level spells, but that's not the point.

The Skill Monkey
The Skill Monkey has made it their mission to master every skill, taking the Factotum's philosophy of being prepared for anything to its ultimate extreme.

The roguey one

Jack-of-all-Trades
Starting at 3rd level, you can add half your proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn’t already include your proficiency bonus.

I feel like this ability is why so many Factotum conversions are bard subclasses. I prefer to just give it to factotums.

Improved Inspired Skills
Starting at 7th level, when the Skill Monkey uses the inspire skill ability they add their proficiency bonus as well as their intelligence modifier to the check, even if they are already proficient in that skill.

This one may be... overpowered, but it hasn't been play tested yet.

Expertise
At 10th level, choose two of your skill proficiencies. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies.

Because I was running out of skill related ideas! Be awesome at some skills!

Reliable Talent
By 15th level, you have refined your chosen skills until they approach perfection. Whenever you make an ability check that lets you add your proficiency bonus, you can treat a d20 roll of 9 or lower as a 10.

This one may be breaking my rule of not stepping on another classes signature ability.

whiplashomega
2019-03-01, 09:12 PM
Ok so, based on your criticism, what do you think of these changes?

Inspired Skills
You can spend an epiphany point when making any skill check to add your intelligence bonus togain advantage on the check.

Preparing and Casting Spells
The Factotum table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher as well as 1 epiphany point. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

Inspired Attack
Starting at 2nd level, you can spend an epiphany point before making an attack roll to add your intelligence bonus togain advantage on the attack roll.

Inspired Recovery
At 20th level you no longer require a short rest to regain your epiphany points, but can do so by spending 10 minutes reading and studying your books and materials.At 20th level if you start an encounter with fewer epiphany points than your intelligence modifier, you recover enough epiphany points that you have as many as your intelligence modifier.

Improved inspired Attack

At 15th level, when you use an epiphany point to add a bonus to your attack roll, you can make an additional attack as a bonus action, adding your intelligence modifier to both attacks.and have advantage on both attacks.

I Read About That One (replaces Keen Observer)
Starting at 7th level you can attempt to cast spells you don't have in your spellbook. so long as it is of a level you can cast. When you do so it counts as a Factotum spell for you, no matter what list it comes from. To do so make an arcana check at disadvantage with a DC equal to 15 + the spells level. You must also provide any components required by the spell as normal. If you succeed on the check you successfully cast the spell. If the Arcana check fails the spell fizzles and fails to work, however, the spell slot, consumed material components, and actions are still used up in the attempt. Once you use this feature you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Sage
Starting at 15th level you can cast spells without spending epiphany points on them. when you use your I Read About That One feature to cast a spell not in your spellbook you no longer have disadvantage on the Arcana check.

Improved Inspired Skills
Starting at 7th level, when the Skill Monkey uses the inspire skill ability they add their proficiency bonus as well as their intelligence modifier to the check, even if they are already proficient in that skill. they add their proficiency bonus to the check even if they are not proficient with that skill.