PDA

View Full Version : advice on build order for Minotaur Rpgue/Barbarian

BigMouse
2019-03-01, 10:10 AM
I'm looking at multi classing for the first time. And I'm unsure what the best path would look like.

I'll be a Minotaur from Guilds of Ravnika, looking to be a Strength based Rogue/Barbarian. I'm hoping to be a striker and off-tank to the paladin. So I want to be able to move around the battlefield as needed taking down adds or at least distracting them from the bard and swordmage.

One the improvisions the GM is allowing is, that I can use minotaur horns as a finesse weapon (for sneak attack) if I take it as feat (We will be adding more to the feat to make it worthwhile he says.) So what archtypes should I be considering, and what order should I be taking the levels? I plan to start as a rogue.

We're using Player's Guide, Xanather's Guide to Everything, and Guilds of Ravnika, but if I can show him a link to additional official material, he'll likely open to it.

Catullus64
2019-03-01, 10:55 AM
As far as subclasses go, I would say that on the Rogue end of things, the ever-powerful Swashbuckler fits the playstyle you described well, what with the ability to fight effectively in melee while moving around the battlefield solo. As for Primal Paths, Ancestral Guardian's 3rd level feature probably helps most with the "protect the other party members" part of your build objective.

If you really would prefer to start as a rogue, well enough, but starting as a barbarian would be more beneficial in the long run: CON save proficiency is probably better than DEX, especially when you have Danger Sense to augment your DEX saves. That, plus Shield proficiency and better starting hit points for that wild and swingy time that is 1st level.

My advised build plan: 1 Level Barbarian/1 Level Rogue/1 Level Barbarian/3 Levels Rogue/3 Levels Barbarian/Rogue Levels for however long the rest of your campaign runs.

GlenSmash!
2019-03-01, 12:01 PM
Expertise in Athletics, and Advantage from rage, make Rogue/Barbs great grapplers. Having a hand's free weapon makes that even better.

I'd want 5 levels in Barbarian for Extra attack so I could grapple and attack in the same turn. Otherwise I'd go all Rogue.

I think mobility is great on grapplers so I would go scout rogue.

Raynor007
2019-03-01, 01:30 PM
Expertise in Athletics, and Advantage from rage, make Rogue/Barbs great grapplers. Having a hand's free weapon makes that even better.

I'd want 5 levels in Barbarian for Extra attack so I could grapple and attack in the same turn. Otherwise I'd go all Rogue.

I think mobility is great on grapplers so I would go scout rogue.

Seconded 100%.

CTurbo
2019-03-01, 03:37 PM
Rogue 2, Barbarian 5, Rogue from there

For Rogue subclass, Swashbuckler is fun as long as you don't have a negative Cha mod. Scout is flavorful and adds mobility.(if nothing else it helps you charge a lot since you can move back with your reaction).
For Barb subclass, I'd go Totem. Elk 3 really boosts your mobility while raging, Bear makes you tougher, Wolf gives friends advantage to attack when beside you.

GlenSmash!
2019-03-01, 03:46 PM
Rogue 2, Barbarian 5, Rogue from there

For Rogue subclass, Swashbuckler is fun as long as you don't have a negative Cha mod. Scout is flavorful and adds mobility.(if nothing else it helps you charge a lot since you can move back with your reaction).
For Barb subclass, I'd go Totem. Elk 3 really boosts your mobility while raging, Bear makes you tougher, Wolf gives friends advantage to attack when beside you.

Elk's a good idea too.

It's movement is great when combined with dash as a bonus action from Rogue's Cunning Action.