PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with bard advancement

bazaku
2019-03-01, 10:21 AM
So... im playong an aasimar bard (protector) and currently im level 3 (lore). Mi rolled stats are: Str 9 Dex 15 Con 13 Int 10 Wis 14 and Cha 17 the campaign has lots of undeads and i just cant use vm (i also know that it scales poorly at higuer levels, still i have other things to do like the help action or use minor illusion, or a weapon). The thing is that im near level 4 and im not sure what to take.
The choices are resilent con to boost a lite my poor hp pool and saves, take the ASI in cha and con (or maybe dex to hit a little more and boosting ac, init and reflexes) or take Magic Initiate for eldritch blast, hex and some other cantrip.
I know that i can take eb at 6 via magic secrets but i have to wait untill that level and also i wanted to take find steed and dragons breath because i just find fun to have a fire breathing horse... if i dont take the magic initate i belive its gona be EB and find steed to use it as meat wall. Hex could be a choice but only if i manage to boost my concentration saving throws cause with only 13 its going to be hard to have it for many hours.
For role i play mostly support but sometimes i just want to do some damage and having the aasimar radiant soul will help with that.
So with that stats... what would yo do? take the feat? take the ASI?
Thank you!

LibraryOgre
2019-03-01, 11:07 AM
Ok, my un-played opinion...

Take ASI in Cha and Con... Con means an additional +4 HP immediately (since Con boosts are retroactive) and Cha will push you into a +4 bonus. That will mean you have 4 bardic inspiration dice to hand out, not just 3. Once you hit 5th level (Font of Inspiration), that will be pretty killer.

I'm not seeing any reason VM won't work... unless I'm missing something, most undead aren't immune to psychic damage, and VM doesn't fall afoul of their Charm immunity. 1d4 damage and disadvantage (on a failed save) is a nice boost, round to round.

For spells? If you don't already know it, Silence is a mage killer... "A great deal of power flows through one small, easily closed, door." You may not be facing a lot of mages NOW, but it's worth considering that all these undead might be commanded by one, or by a cleric.

sophontteks
2019-03-01, 11:15 AM
Undeads aren't immune to fear and charm spells in general, so you should be good to go as you are. Undead are not a problem for bards.

Genoin
2019-03-01, 11:17 AM
I would suggest taking ASI in Charisma and Dex 1/1, and then pick up Resilient Con at 8

LibraryOgre
2019-03-01, 11:19 AM
I would suggest taking ASI in Charisma and Dex 1/1, and then pick up Resilient Con at 8

Out of curiosity, why Dex? Is it because you're aiming for Resilient Con at 8th, and will pick up the HP there?

Genoin
2019-03-01, 11:23 AM
Dex is his weapon hit and damage stat, along with AC, Reflex, and Initiative. The reason I say not to take Con now is that he has an odd Con score and Resilient Con (which he also expressed interest in taking) gives a +1 Con. If he took 1/1 in Cha and Con at 4th and then Resilient Con at 8, the +1 from the feat would be wasted. So while taking Con at level 4 for the HP is good, I think the way I suggested is much better in the long run.

gjf2a
2019-03-01, 11:40 AM
So... im playong an aasimar bard (protector) and currently im level 3 (lore). Mi rolled stats are: Str 9 Dex 15 Con 13 Int 10 Wis 14 and Cha 17 the campaign has lots of undeads and i just cant use vm (i also know that it scales poorly at higuer levels, still i have other things to do like the help action or use minor illusion, or a weapon). The thing is that im near level 4 and im not sure what to take.
The choices are resilent con to boost a lite my poor hp pool and saves, take the ASI in cha and con (or maybe dex to hit a little more and boosting ac, init and reflexes) or take Magic Initiate for eldritch blast, hex and some other cantrip.
I know that i can take eb at 6 via magic secrets but i have to wait untill that level and also i wanted to take find steed and dragons breath because i just find fun to have a fire breathing horse... if i dont take the magic initate i belive its gona be EB and find steed to use it as meat wall. Hex could be a choice but only if i manage to boost my concentration saving throws cause with only 13 its going to be hard to have it for many hours.
For role i play mostly support but sometimes i just want to do some damage and having the aasimar radiant soul will help with that.
So with that stats... what would yo do? take the feat? take the ASI?
Thank you!

With those stats, I would take the ASI and apply it to CHA and DEX. Then get a shortbow (which is a simple ranged weapon) and when using your Protector Aasimar power, your arrows will add your level to their damage while you use flight to stay safely away from your opponents. Maybe get Magic Initiate at 8th level when your bowshots no longer scale thanks to a lack of an Extra Attack. At that point, EB will be even more potent working off of your 18 CHA.

Jophiel
2019-03-01, 11:48 AM
I'm not seeing any reason VM won't work... unless I'm missing something, most undead aren't immune to psychic damage, and VM doesn't fall afoul of their Charm immunity. 1d4 damage and disadvantage (on a failed save) is a nice boost, round to round.
Damage is unimpressive and the Disadvantage gets less useful as you come across more critters with multiple attacks since it only affects their initial attack. I still like the cantrip but that's the stock criticism.

I would take the ASI. Probably CHA+DEX with DEX to better your AC, Initiative and Weapon attacks. If you're unhappy with how VM is performing, grab a light crossbow (another reason to boost DEX). Grab Res. Con at level 8.

Keravath
2019-03-01, 12:10 PM
Hi! I agree with the above suggestion for 1 dex/1charisma at level 4 and resilient con at 8. You will get a lot out of the split stat boost at 4th level but resilient con is also essential for your saves. Your character should stay out of melee as much as possible.

Another possibility to consider as you level up is that 1 level of hexblade warlock gives medium armor and shield proficiency along with martial weapons, the ability to use charisma for to hit and damage if you ever do engage in melee, access to eldritch blast, hex, shield and a short rest 1st level spell slot, and finally hexblade's curse. Two levels gives you two invocations like agonizing blast (which gives you decent at-will damage with eldritch blast) and another invocation of your choice (devils sight is popular), as well as 2 1st level short rest spell slots. It will delay your bard spell progression by a spell level and your ASIs but you might find it a worthwhile trade off if it fits role play wise.

I have a 10 lore bard/2 hexblade warlock and there have been a number of situations where I have found having agonizing blast to be a very effective option. (Magic resistant, undead lich and demi-lich dragons were difficult to affect with my spells but force damage was unresisted).

LibraryOgre
2019-03-01, 12:15 PM
Dex is his weapon hit and damage stat, along with AC, Reflex, and Initiative. The reason I say not to take Con now is that he has an odd Con score and Resilient Con (which he also expressed interest in taking) gives a +1 Con. If he took 1/1 in Cha and Con at 4th and then Resilient Con at 8, the +1 from the feat would be wasted. So while taking Con at level 4 for the HP is good, I think the way I suggested is much better in the long run.

Gotcha. Makes sense. I'm still sessing out this game.

Contrast
2019-03-01, 12:22 PM
I think other people have given decent advice which I agree with but just to say - don't take Eldritch Blast as a magical secrets choice. I will say that while Vicious Mockery isn't one of the better cantrips damage wise, I still don't think I could convince myself not to take any.

If you want at will damage that bad you'll be better served by a warlock dip.

Lyracian
2019-03-01, 07:05 PM
I think other people have given decent advice which I agree with but just to say - don't take Eldritch Blast as a magical secrets choice.
Do you think spending a Secrets pick on a better Damage Cantrip is a waste then? Eldritch Blast gives you a powerful spell to use every round you are not casting a levelled spell.

Aaron Underhand
2019-03-01, 07:24 PM
Do you think spending a Secrets pick on a better Damage Cantrip is a waste then? Eldritch Blast gives you a powerful spell to use every round you are not casting a levelled spell.

I will jump in here and say yes. Doing damage is NOT the bards job. Battlefiled control, Buff and Debuff are. I'm playing a Bard 8/Wiz 1 (multiclassed for roleplaying reasons). Despite fighting Devils and Demons a lot my ASI just went on moderately armoured - to help with keeping those concentration spells up...

My Magical secrets at 6th were fireball (No one else in the party can get it) and Counterspell. The lore bard is one of the best counterspell characters in the game... If we'd had someone else with Fireball I would have probably selected fly. Bottom line - magic secrets will get you two great 3rd level spells which can be more and more useful as you level up.

If you really want cantrips, mage initiate or spell sniper can solve that....

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-03-01, 07:50 PM

EB is really solid. Not a game changer though.

If your DM normally puts you through days where you burn through all your spell slots it gets more cool. Plus remember you get more slots as you level.

EB can lead to some non imaginative battles of attrition. When playing a Bard I really enjoy ending encounters with weird Bard spells. Fear, Dissonant Whispers, Phantasmal Force. Polymorph, Animate Objects. Watch you DM cringe and your Sorcerer and Rogue wonder how the BBG just ended up holding his ears and running past them for opportunity attacks until he died

Counterspell is AWESOME btw!

That said, take whatever you think is most suitable for your character.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-03-01, 08:04 PM

EB is really solid. Not a game changer though.

If your DM normally puts you through days where you burn through all your spell slots it gets more cool. Plus remember you get more slots as you level.

EB can lead to some non imaginative battles of attrition. When playing a Bard I really enjoy ending encounters with weird Bard spells. Fear, Dissonant Whispers, Phantasmal Force. Polymorph, Animate Objects. Watch you DM cringe and your Sorcerer and Rogue wonder how the BBG just ended up holding his ears and running past them for opportunity attacks until he died

Counterspell is AWESOME btw!

That said, take whatever you think is most suitable for your character.

bazaku
2019-03-02, 06:03 AM
Thank you all for the answers, ill go with the +1 cha +1 dex then and just play careful untill level 8 to take resillent. I really want eldritch blast without taking the warlock dip because i dont want to slow the bard proggresion but the counterspell and silence are good advices, so im getting cs at lvl 6 and maybe wait till level 10 to get the greater steed.
Thanks again!

Lyracian
2019-03-02, 10:30 AM
If you really want cantrips, mage initiate or spell sniper can solve that....
I think Spell Sniper for Eldritch Blast is the best plan. We rolled Stats so I only need one ASI for 20 CHR; I can then take Sniper at 8th and have Res (Con) at 12th Level Bard.

Having taken a single level of Cleric (Life) for armour and a few extra spells I am overloaded with choices for Magical Secrets at level 6 and 10.
Goodberry - Heal 40 HP with each Spell Slot and provides rations.
Healing Spirit - An 'Aura of Vitality' variant that gets better with higher level spell slots and does not need to use your Bonus Action to heal.
Fireball - AoE Damage
Counterspell - Stop the Enemy before they even start
Find Greater Steed - Have a Pegasus or a Dire Wolf as your pet.