PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A Weapon of Legacy!

ShadowImmor
2019-03-01, 10:57 AM
Hey Hivemind,

I'm running a campaign in a homebrew world, and the party will soon be going on a quest to get a magical warhammer (which I'm expecting to give to the Goliath Paladin).

The thing is, I want this to be a Legacy Weapon, similar to Roy's from OOTS. He'll be Level 5 when he gets it, and I want it to be a thing that kind of levels up with him. Gaining cool features and increasing it's stats.

I want it to start out as a basic magical warhammer (probably +1 with some minor magical effect, probably something like he can use Stone's Endurance an additional time every long rest, or something along those lines) and then build from there.

Any other ideas on cool powers I could give it?

Catullus64
2019-03-01, 11:05 AM
If it's a legacy weapon, might I inquire what legacy it's tied to? I assume some connection to the Paladin's ancestry, because of the OotS comparison, so some powers relevant to the deeds for which the weapon was used seem appropriate. Perhaps elemental damage corresponding to strange circumstances under which the blade was forged, the whispers of ancestors granting advantage on some sort of niche ability checks, or a bonus to attack and damage rolls against the enemies against whom the weapon has been historically wielded. Making magic weapons also function as some kind of artisan's tool or musical instrument is also a favorite design choice of mine: a warhammer could function as a magical equivalent to smith's tools, or pair with a special shield to make war drums.

Raynor007
2019-03-01, 11:38 AM
I've done this type of thing with many of my players, and they love it. It's something that defines their character from day one, and that scales to be useful at later levels, when the Proficiency Bonus increases. Example:

Captain's Amulet.
PB+2 – Gain advantage on all weapon attacks when at or below 1/3 of your max hitpoints.
PB+3 – Increase your movement speed by 10ft/round.
PB+4 – When you roll initiative with full hitpoints, gain temporary hitpoints equal to your character level.

I also like to theme the item and abilities consistently, sometimes. For your hammer, maybe something like this:

Hammer of Mercy: a hammer forged by a goddess of mercy from a meteor, bound with steel, and with rose/brier patterns chiseled into the surfaces. A scarlet crystal is set into the top of the hammer.
PB+2 - The Hammer gives a +1 to all attack rolls made with the weapon, and the crystal can shed bright light out to 15 feet (dim to 45). You gain a damage bonus equal to your proficiency bonus when you deal damage to undead or aberrations (because it is merciful to end such things).
PB+3 - The Hammer ignores resistances to bludgeoning damage. Additionally, as a bonus action on his turn, the wielder can touch a creature with the Hammer and sacrifice one or more of his hit dice in order to remove one condition affecting a creature per die used, or heal a number of hitpoints equal to the values rolled on the sacrificed die/dice.
PB+4 - The Hammer increases your critical range by 1. Additionally, you gain advantage on attacks made with this weapon against enemies at or below 1/4 of it's maximum hitpoints.

ShadowImmor
2019-03-01, 11:57 AM
If it's a legacy weapon, might I inquire what legacy it's tied to? I assume some connection to the Paladin's ancestry, because of the OotS comparison, so some powers relevant to the deeds for which the weapon was used seem appropriate. Perhaps elemental damage corresponding to strange circumstances under which the blade was forged, the whispers of ancestors granting advantage on some sort of niche ability checks, or a bonus to attack and damage rolls against the enemies against whom the weapon has been historically wielded. Making magic weapons also function as some kind of artisan's tool or musical instrument is also a favorite design choice of mine: a warhammer could function as a magical equivalent to smith's tools, or pair with a special shield to make war drums.

It's actually going to be an ancient hammer tied to his bloodline. Basically, though he doesn't know it, he is descended from a very powerful Tribal Goliath leader, and this was that Goliath's weapon of choice. In fact the resting place of the hammer can only be opened by someone of that bloodline. (His character was adopted by Noble Humans so has no idea of his heritage)

I've done this type of thing with many of my characters, and they love it. It's something that defines their character from day one, and that scales to be useful at later levels, when the Proficiency Bonus increases. I also like the theme them around something. Example:

Captain's Amulet.
PB+2 – Gain advantage on all weapon attacks when at or below 1/3 of your max hitpoints.
PB+3 – Increase your movement speed by 10ft/round.
PB+4 – When you roll initiative with full hitpoints, gain temporary hitpoints equal to your character level.

I also like to theme the item and abilities consistently, sometimes. For your hammer, maybe something like this:

Hammer of Mercy: a hammer forged by a goddess of mercy from a meteor, bound with steel, and with rose/brier patterns chiseled into the surfaces. A scarlet crystal is set into the top of the hammer.
PB+2 - The Hammer gives a +1 to all attack rolls made with the weapon, and the crystal can shed bright light out to 15 feet (dim to 45). You gain a damage bonus equal to your proficiency bonus when you deal damage to undead or aberrations (because it is merciful to end such things).
PB+3 - The Hammer ignores resistances to bludgeoning damage. Additionally, as a bonus action on his turn, the wielder can touch a creature with the Hammer and sacrifice one or more of his hit dice in order to remove one condition affecting a creature per die used, or heal a number of hitpoints equal to the values rolled on the sacrificed die/dice.
PB+4 - The Hammer increases your critical range by 1. Additionally, you gain advantage on attacks made with this weapon against enemies at or below 1/4 of it's maximum hitpoints.

I quite like the idea of the second one, but I want to tie it in to his Goliath nature, not his paladin side.

I will also be designing a unique item for each player, the paladin and fighter will both get weapons, the rogue is going to get some cool magical hiding item and the sorcerer has a ring that is going to turn out to be very important (it's essentially an arcane focus but it can never be taken off of him. Other characters can't even see it unless he points it out and he has to willingly give it up. Basically a very powerful perception filter is on it). I just need some cool ideas.

miniatureaddict
2019-03-01, 12:16 PM
Perhaps made by a goliath outcast who was taken in by dwarfs and taught stone and metal craft. Then the goliath who made the hammer found a strange black ore "adamantine" The forged it into a powerful weapon that the longer attuned to the user becomes more powerful. Like 5-8 +1 9-12 +2 12-15+3
Also grants a user protection to bludgeoning damage.

miniatureaddict
2019-03-01, 12:17 PM
Then the goliath started his own tribe and became one of the most powerful chieftains ever.

Raynor007
2019-03-01, 12:25 PM
Cool ideas then!

- Proficiency or expertise in skills or tools
- Resistance to a damage type
- Speed increase, possibly dependent on the use of an ability (such as Cunning Action or Action Surge)
- Access to a Cantrip or Spell they wouldn't otherwise have (shatter, etc)
- Additional uses of class or racial abilities (extra superiority die, critical range, etc)
- Bonuses to skills (+2 to Stealth, etc), possibly under certain conditions (dim light, rain, etc)
- Option to switch damage type dealt
- Advantage to attack rolls made against certain types of enemies, possibly under certain conditions

So maybe something more like this:

Warchief's Hammer:
PB+2 - The Hammer grants a +1 to attack and damage rolls made with the weapon. The bearer also gains proficiency (or expertise) in Athletics or Survival (player's choice). Additionally, the Hammer grants a +1 to AC as long as it is wielded in both hands.
PB+3 - When wielded against (traditional enemies of Goliaths), the bearer gains temporary hitpoints equal to their level+proficiency bonus when they roll initiative. The wielder also gains the ability to take the shove action as a bonus action as long as it is wielded in both hands.
PB+4 - The Hammer ignores resistances to bludgeoning damage, and gains the thrown property (range 30-70). Once per day, the bearer can cast Call Lighting at 4th Level, centered on the Hammer.

SkipSandwich
2019-03-01, 02:15 PM
A few ideas

Giant's Hammer
Prof 2+: The bearer of this magical weapon is recognized as a true heir of the Giants, and has Advantage on all Charisma ability checks made to persuade or influence Giants
Prof 3+: This weapon gains the Thrown property with a range of 30/120. It magically returns to the bearer's hand after each toss and may be thrown as many times in a round as the bearer has attacks.
Prof 4+: As a an Action, you may throw the hammer at a point within 120ft to cast Erupting Earth as a 5th level spell centered where the hammer lands. Once you have used this ability, you may not do so again until undergoing a Short Rest. The Save DC for this feature is 8+bearer's prof bonus + bearers Str mod.

Hammer of the Rock-Shaper
Prof 2+: As a Bonus Action, the bearer of this hammer may magicly resize it to the form of a Light Hammer, Warhammer or Maul. When in Light Hammer form, this weapon also functions as a set of Mason's Tools, in Warhammer form it functions as a Crowbar or Mining Pick, and in Maul form it functions as a Portable Ram. In all cases the bearer of the hammer is considered proficient in the use of these alternate functions if they have proficiency in the coresponding weapon.
Prof 3+: The bearer of this weapon gains the ability to cast the Move Earth, Mending and Magic Stone cantrips at-will, using Strength as their spellcasting modifier.
Prof 4+: The bearer of this hammer gains the ability to cast thier choice of Passwall, Wall of Stone or Transmute Rock. Once you have used this feature you may not do so again until undergoing a Long Rest.

Hammer of the Vulcano
Prof 2+: This magical hammer sheds light equal to a torch and on a successful hit deals additional Fire damage equal to the bearer's Wisdom modifier
Prof 3+: This hammer may be substituted for a set of Smith's Tools, and the bearer may cast Fabricate once per Long Rest
Prof 4+: The bearer gains Immunity to Fire damage and the environmental effects of extreme heat.

thoroughlyS
2019-03-01, 05:01 PM
It's actually going to be an ancient hammer tied to his bloodline. Basically, though he doesn't know it, he is descended from a very powerful Tribal Goliath leader, and this was that Goliath's weapon of choice. In fact the resting place of the hammer can only be opened by someone of that bloodline. (His character was adopted by Noble Humans so has no idea of his heritage)
This, along with the racial lore in Volo's, is a good starting point. Did you already have some solid ideas about what this ancestor did?

ShadowImmor
2019-03-02, 04:36 AM
These are all really good ideas! I love the creativity!

I like the idea of getting access to a cantrip or a spell probably earth shape, or something along those lines, and being able to use Stones Endurance more times a day.

This, along with the racial lore in Volo's, is a good starting point. Did you already have some solid ideas about what this ancestor did?

The Ancestor basically forged a single tribe out of the Goliaths, making them all work together and work as one unified nation. This has since broken down, and his family were wiped out to the last man, but this descendant survived, and will be able to reaccess his ancestors powers. I like the idea of a Charisma bonus (or advantage) when dealing with other Goliaths. (Except for the Goliaths that split the nation again).

The Ancestor was essentially a Goliath who showed incredibly potent Goliath traits, Lawfulness, honour, fairness, fury when required and was as unmoveable as the mountain. (in this world the Goliath's mostly worship Skadi, and I'm tempted to have some tie in there as the Player decided he wanted to Worship Skadi and is a Paladin of Skadi, but we'll see if I can think of any cool powers)

EggKookoo
2019-03-02, 09:54 AM
I've done this type of thing with many of my players, and they love it. It's something that defines their character from day one, and that scales to be useful at later levels, when the Proficiency Bonus increases.

I've done this kind of thing as well. PB/2 round down makes a decent curved sliding bonus (+1 for eight levels, +2 for eight more, then +3 for the last four).