PDA

View Full Version : The Great Gear Request (truenamer?!?)

Falontani
2019-03-01, 11:32 AM
I am playing a Changeling Rogue 1/Truenamer 5. My build is done, and there have been modifications to the dcs of truespeech. With that said, I have 13,000 gp and don't have time to look up items to wear for our first session (tonight after I get off work).

We rolled stats and I got a 39 pt buy equivalent, with a prefect intelligence, decent con, and good dex/cha.

I took able learner, skill focus truespeech, and master linguist for my feats.

Utterance capabilities so far:
+ skills
Short range teleport or low cr summon
Healing/damage
See through darkness
Single increased or decreased stat

Zaq
2019-03-01, 12:13 PM
What’s the deadline? I won’t be home to my books until late tonight, unfortunately.

Generalities: +Truespeak item, obviously. Basic defensive stuff. You get light armor, so enchant that if you can. You’ve got UMD, so a pile of scrolls and a handful of wands always help. Old staples like Healing Belts, Anklets of Translocation, and other fun cheap stuff from the MIC. That shapechanging clothing from Eberron that’s intended to let changelings easily change clothing when they change faces. A Rod of Ropes simply because every character should want a Hookshot. (No, it has no special synergy with you; it’s just cool.) A Tunic of Steady Spellcasting because failing Conc checks sucks.

I’ll try to revisit if I can, but like I said, it’ll be late.

Segev
2019-03-01, 12:32 PM
As said, you want a +competence TrueSpeak skill item. The formula for +competence Skill items is (bonus)*(bonus)*100 gp. So a +3 item is 900gp. A +4 is 1600 gp.

I'd go ahead and spend 2500 gp for a +5 item, then also buy yourself a masterwork tool (50 gp) for "speaking Utterances." This is another +2 bonus to TrueSpeech when speaking utterances, then. Fluff-wise, either a primer with your key Utterances written in a phonetic script, or some masterwork tuning forks (if you argue that True Speech is tonal), or a carefully-shaped megaphone-cone-thing that amplifies properly spoken sounds and diminishes noise, or something like that.

Falontani
2019-03-01, 01:21 PM
It is to start tonight in less than 5 hours, I myself am at work and unable to look too in depth until just before we begin.

Segev
2019-03-01, 01:55 PM
I forget if truenamers can wear armor or not. You'll want a +2 Int or Cha item (whichever is your casting stat) for 4000 gp, and probably a +2 Cloak of Protection (2000 gp, IIRC) for your saves.

That'll probably see you through the first session.

DrMotives
2019-03-01, 09:19 PM
Truespeak checks are int-based, while the DCs against their effects are cha-based. So stat boosting items for both of those stats. As for armor, they can wear light armor, but no shield. Simple weapons only, so maybe a morning star & a crossbow.