PDA

View Full Version : Campaign ideas

miniatureaddict
2019-03-01, 11:57 AM
I need to write a compelling combat and trap centered campaign and are dry on ideas.
Any tips

Prophet_of_Io
2019-03-01, 12:30 PM
I feel the best approach to campaign ideas is to look for the “why”.

This campaign involves a lot of traps and combat. Why?

-Long ago our world had acccess to magic far above the limits of what we are capable of now. Though many of the magical secrets are lost, the remnants of that time still remain. Ancient tombs of long dead craftsmen, Floating ruins of a once magnificent city. Adventurers now boldly seek out these sights hoping to uncover secrets, lost artifacts, or boundless treasures waiting to be rediscovered. These ruins are filled with magical monstrosities, devious traps, and—perhaps most dangerous of all—fellow adventurers also looking for wealth and glory.

-A mysterious benefactor has offered to pay the party handsomely in exchange for seeking out three ancient artifacts each locked away in a tomb more dangerous then the last. The tombs are safeguarded by numerous traps and creatures hellbent on assuring that whatever these artifacts do, they must never see the light of day again. The benefactor claims to use them to quell a recent rise in demonic activity that the party has encountered, but their real motives might be far more sinister...

-A mid to high level group of adventurers had retired just a few years ago. They had their fun, made their fortune, and were ready to settle down. But when one of the party members got involved with a rich intellectual nobleman, and was double crossed and left for dead, the group reunited for one last job. A heist to take this nobleman for all he’s worth. Trouble is, this guy has the wealth and knowledge to turn his house into a veritable death trap. He thinks it impossible to breach, but that’ll just make this haul all the sweeter.

Or if you aren’t interested in these above ideas I’d suggest a few monsters to build a campaign around.

Beholders are smart enough to build crazy traps and resourceful enough to dominate monsters that could fill any dungeon.

Hags love to toy and manipulate unsuspecting parties with traps and encounters that play more with the parties mind and conscious than with their fragile bodies.

Kobalds in a lower level game are all about traps and ambushes. Just throw a hook about a gnome gem mine that was taken over or something.

Best of luck.

miniatureaddict
2019-03-01, 12:39 PM
Thanks! This will be very helpful