PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Random Causality casting time

Lord Torath
2019-03-01, 12:58 PM
I was reading up on the Random Causality clerical spell (Tome of Magic level 3), and had a question about the casting time. The summary lists the casting time as 3 rounds + 1 round per level, with a Duration: Special. The spell description says the spell lasts for 3 rounds + 1 round per level.

Did someone screw up here? The target is an enemy’s weapon (which then inflicts damage to a random member of the enemy’s party instead of its intended target). The short range (10 yards) and duration implies it’s a spur-of-the-moment Combat spell, but the long casting time (8 minutes minimum) means you need to cast it well in advance, or the combat will be over before you complete the spell. But how often are you going to have access to an enemy's weapon 8+ minutes before you expect combat?

Was there ever an Errata for this spell? If not, how do you handle the casting time?

Edit: For over 20 years I've thought this spell was Random Casualty, not Random Causality. The spell description more closely matched Random Casualty in my opinion. And all it takes is shifting the "u" to the other side of the "s". And dropping the "i". Typo?

Second Edit: Apparently they did address this in Sage Advice in Dragon Magazine #247. Casting time is 6. Thanks to AuldDragon of Dragonsfoot for finding it for me. :smallbiggrin: