PDA

View Full Version : 1001 new action options in combat.

notXanathar
2019-03-01, 01:57 PM
I was reading through the 5e DMG, and was looking at the alternate action options, and realised that, even there, there aren't very many. This is a thread to post your homebrew dnd(preferably) attack options.
Here are a few to begin.

Guard.
You come to the aid of a vulnerable ally. While you can't heal them, you set about preventing them from coming to harm. Choose one ally adjacent to you. Attack rolls have disadvantage against them if the attacker is within reach of your melee weapon. This extends to all attacks against them if you are wielding a shield. Additionally, when within reach of your weapon hits them with an attack, you may use your reaction to make an attack of opportunity against them.

Rend.
You bring your blade down, ripping open your enemies armour like a tin can. As an attack, make a melee attack. IF you hit, instead of dealing damage, you reduce their AC by your attack modifier, or twice that if it was a critical hit. Te enemy must be wearing armour. you cannot bring their AC below 10 + their dexterity modifier, but the restrictions on the bonus to AC from their dexterity modifier based on the armour still applies until they doff the armour. The reduction to the AC provided by that armour is permanent, until the armour is mended. Magical armour cannot be damaged in this way.

JNAProductions
2019-03-01, 07:42 PM
I was reading through the 5e DMG, and was looking at the alternate action options, and realised that, even there, there aren't very many. This is a thread to post your homebrew dnd(preferably) attack options.
Here are a few to begin.

Guard.
You come to the aid of a vulnerable ally. While you can't heal them, you set about preventing them from coming to harm. Choose one ally adjacent to you. Attack rolls have disadvantage against them if the attacker is within reach of your melee weapon. This extends to all attacks against them if you are wielding a shield. Additionally, when within reach of your weapon hits them with an attack, you may use your reaction to make an attack of opportunity against them.

Rend.
You bring your blade down, ripping open your enemies armour like a tin can. As an attack, make a melee attack. IF you hit, instead of dealing damage, you reduce their AC by your attack modifier, or twice that if it was a critical hit. Te enemy must be wearing armour. you cannot bring their AC below 10 + their dexterity modifier, but the restrictions on the bonus to AC from their dexterity modifier based on the armour still applies until they doff the armour. The reduction to the AC provided by that armour is permanent, until the armour is mended. Magical armour cannot be damaged in this way.

5E tag should be used here.

Guard... Compare to Protection Fighting Style. Admittedly, that Fighting Style ain't the best, but still.

Rend... It's one of those things that sounds neat in theory, but horrible in practice. PCs will almost always be better off just attacking, but if an enemy uses this on a PC, it sticks till they can get armor fixed.

Lord Maze
2019-03-01, 08:51 PM
I like the idea of guard, since no one really takes the protection fighting style. I could see myself take this action from time to time.

Rend is way too good, or way too bad depending on the fight. Against a big bad its easy to take 1 or 2 shot at it and lower its AC to around 12-13 and then wiping the floor with it. And against large amount of mobs, no real reason to use it. Its a cool idea, but hardly applicable in its current form.

I'd like an action that let you jump in front of your ally to take the damage if an ennemy bypass his AC. Though it might be too easy to protect squishies from mortal blows this way.