PDA

View Full Version : Monsters good at bull rush

Mike Miller
2019-03-01, 03:33 PM
Are there any monsters that have typical tactics involving bull rushing? All I can think of is the Minotaur, but I want something else. I know big and strong means good bull rushing attempt, but I was trying to pick a monster that was already built for it, if there is one.

Falontani
2019-03-01, 03:54 PM
TRICERATOPS
Huge Animal
Hit Dice: 16d8+112 (196 hp)
Initiative: –1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (–2 size, –1 Dex, +11 natural), touch 7, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+30
Attack: Gore +20 melee (3d8+15)
Full Attack: Gore +20 melee (3d8+15)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Powerful charge, trample 2d12+15, Greater Powerful Charge (feat), Knockback
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +19, Ref +9, Will +6
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 9, Con 25, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Listen +11, Spot +10
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Natural Attack: Gore, Knockback, Powerful Charge, Greater Powerful Charge
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Solitary, pair, or herd (5–8)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 17–32 HD (Huge); 33–48 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: —

Combat
These creatures are likely to charge and skewer any creature of at least Large size that infringes on their territory. A triceratops uses its trample attack on smaller opponents.
Powerful Charge (Ex): When a triceratops charges, its gore attack deals 6d8+20 points of damage.
Trample (Ex): Reflex half DC 28. The save DC is Strength-based.
Greater Powerful Charge (Ex): On the first hit of the round during which you charged, you deal an additional 4d6 points of damage.
Knockback (Ex): If you score a hit while you are using the Power Attack feat, you can make a free bull rush attempt against the foe you hit, applying the number by which you reduced your attack roll as a bonus on the opposed Strength check (as well as on the damage you deal). If you hit with a twohanded weapon, you can apply double that number on the opposed Strength check. Unlike standard bull rush attempts, knockback attempts don't provoke attacks of opportunity, and you don't move with the enemy you knock backward. Bull rush rules can be found on page 154 of the Player's Handbook.

All I did was change the feats. If you want it to be scary, throw the Anarchic Template on there for intelligence, 6 fighter levels, give it dungeon crasher. Throw a barbarian level on and give it destructive rage.

If your using a smart creature, grab shock trooper, subtract from ac instead of your to hit

WhamBamSam
2019-03-01, 04:21 PM
The Cobalt Dragon (Dragon Magazine 356) has a breath weapon that's treated as a bull rush. The check result is equal to the damage dealt, and most things that increase bull rush check results don't work, but the Marshal's Art of War aura does, and since it counts as a bull rush, it will trigger things like Dungeon Crashing.

The Xorvintaal Dragon (MMV) Twist of Fate ability has an option of an immediate action bull rush in place of an AoO.

Any large or larger creature can take the Knock-back feat and get a bull rush on any attack, as with Falontani's triceratops.