PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimized Artificer1/Abjurer19 and Abjurer20?

hwem
2019-03-01, 04:02 PM
For artificer1/abjurer19 and abjurer20, which options are more optimal? Thanks in advance as always.

Artificer 1 / Abjurer19
Artificer 1/Abjurer 19 Option#1
Race: Deep Gnome
Stats: Max INT, Max CON
Feat: Svirfneblin Magic

Artificer 1/Abjurer 19 Option#2
Race: Variant Hunt
Feat: War Caster, Another feat (not sure which...maybe alert, tough, or lucky?)

Abjurer 20
Abjurer 20 Option#1
Stats: Max INT, Max CON (or 18 CON with Res-CON)

Abjurer 20 Option#2
Feat: War Caster, Res-CON

Rukelnikov
2019-03-01, 04:28 PM
For artificer1/abjurer19 and abjurer20, which options are more optimal? Thanks in advance as always.

Artificer 1 / Abjurer19
Artificer 1/Abjurer 19 Option#1

Artificer 1/Abjurer 19 Option#2
Feat: War Caster, Another feat (not sure which...maybe alert, tough, or lucky?)

Abjurer 20
Abjurer 20 Option#1
Stats: Max INT, Max CON (or 18 CON with Res-CON)

Abjurer 20 Option#2
Feat: War Caster, Res-CON

If you are gonna cheese it with svirfneblin magic and your DM allows it, then there's no contest here, Svirf is far better.

Not sure why you want that lvl of artificer, from an optimization standpoint, you could spend that in cleric or something else if you wanna expand your spellcasting repertoire and don't care for the wiz capstone (the capstone is not that great, so I'm not against that 1 lvl dip, just that not seeing what artificer brings to the table)

hwem
2019-03-01, 04:38 PM
Through artificer, you don't need to have a second stat requirement unlike the cleric to multiclass. Cleric requires 13 WIS while artificer does not. Also, artificer gives you proficiency in CON saves, which many wizards get via resilient-CON.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-01, 04:42 PM
Through artificer, you don't need to have a second stat requirement unlike the cleric to multiclass. Cleric requires 13 WIS while artificer does not. Also, artificer gives you proficiency in CON saves, which many wizards get via resilient-CON.

Ahhh the Con proficiency, right, yeah, Art1/Abj19 is better then

kenGarff
2019-03-01, 04:43 PM
I think deep gnome is better than human variant option for both class and multiclass options. For the multiclass option, I believe the ability to recharge ward is better than having war caster and another feat...I think. I was told that ward recharging mechanic is actually pretty crazy.

hwem
2019-03-01, 05:08 PM
I see. so that Deep Gnome feature is just that strong to be better than an extra feat.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-01, 05:16 PM
I see. so that Deep Gnome feature is just that strong to be better than an extra feat.

Well it boils down to full Ward after every combat

kenGarff
2019-03-01, 05:25 PM

Are you starting from level 20? If so, as a variant human, you could take war caster and tough. This would give you CON save+advantage as well as 40 more HP. I'd assume that's pertty massive. Maybe war recharging isn't as powerful compared to that since deep gnome looking for max INT/CON will only have that Svirfneblin magic feat. I am not sure. Sorry. I can't exactly say the deep gnome option is mechanically stronger anymore. They both seem like strong options. Though... deep gnome also has dark vision...

Rukelnikov
2019-03-01, 06:07 PM
Are you starting from level 20? If so, as a variant human, you could take war caster and tough. This would give you CON save+advantage as well as 40 more HP. I'd assume that's pertty massive. Maybe war recharging isn't as powerful compared to that since deep gnome looking for max INT/CON will only have that Svirfneblin magic feat. I am not sure. Sorry. I can't exactly say the deep gnome option is mechanically stronger anymore. They both seem like strong options. Though... deep gnome also has dark vision...

At lvl 20 the ward has 45 hp, and can absorb damage done to your allies too, you can probably spend all of that HP block in a 3 round combat, and assuming some abjurations cast in combat, let's say ward ends with 10 HP.

This means svirf magic is like having 35 free HP per combat. You could of course recharge those 35 HP without svirf but would take 17 spell lvls.

hwem
2019-03-01, 08:32 PM
At lvl 20 the ward has 45 hp, and can absorb damage done to your allies too, you can probably spend all of that HP block in a 3 round combat, and assuming some abjurations cast in combat, let's say ward ends with 10 HP.

This means svirf magic is like having 35 free HP per combat. You could of course recharge those 35 HP without svirf but would take 17 spell lvls.

Hmm...I guess deep gnome really is just the best abjurer with or without artificer dip