PDA

View Full Version : help with character concept and build?

Tangleweed
2019-03-01, 04:48 PM
Hey ya all. I need a bit of help making my character for an upcoming campaign. I have a basic idea for character concept, but I need help finding a build that matches and also some help hammering out the last wrinkles.

The character is supposed to be a young tiefling who has, together with their family, suffered most of the prejudices and hardships tieflings are subjected to. They set out to create a band of mercenary witch they will be the commander and chief for. Of course, when we start playing, they will probably be struggling to find coin for food and shelter. Over the game, they will stop for nothing to achieve the fame and influence needed to be able to rise above abuse and to take revenge on, well, pretty much the entire world. "But will this not lead to inter party conflict?" Why thank you mister straw man, it might. If it does, I have made a deal with the DM that I will abandon the character and and it will turn into a antagonist and Ill play another character. I have this vision of a music playing, armor clad tiefling playing music and rising skeletons and raising all sorts of trouble. Also using manipulation and charms to further their social position. They will of course pose as a modest, beaten, lonely traveler looking for a place to belong in order to become a part of the player-party.

Build-wise, I think I will mainly go Lore Bard and go almost all buff, heal and support for magic. At lvl 6 Ill get animate dead and start turning towards some darker stuff. But I also wanna multiclass to something that gives me some non magical attacks and some armor. This is mainly because the idea of playing a flute mid-battle in a scalemail or something strikes me as totes bad ass. I am guessing addng fighter lvl and get a longbow and do some shooting and finesse weapon?

I think its like a cross of Sizer from Violinist of Hameln and Griffith from Berzerk.

If anyone have any feedback, tips, advice, feedback or such IŽd be happy to hear.

Also, I will avoid the mockery cantrip as it is just so done. :smallbiggrin:

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-01, 04:55 PM
I'd actually scratch out Bard. I feel like there's not enough support for an undead creator for that to be your gimmick.

Rather, consider the Divine Soul Sorcerer, with a single level into Paladin. This checks off a few things from your list:

Self-Righteous "Chosen One"
Uses Charisma as a primary stat
Has lots of means of conjuring undead
Has the means of maintaining those undead spells via boosts to Concentration Saving Throws
Has lots of ways of enhancing magic, including his undead spells.
Has armor and martial proficiency (via Paladin)
Mixes might and magic (via Greenflame Blade/Booming Blade and Quicken Spell)

Maybe he was chosen by a Good deity as an attempt to convert a powerful future enemy to their side, but ends up becoming entitled and falling victim to justifying his crimes as the "greater good".

Tangleweed
2019-03-08, 04:55 AM
Hey there. I forgot to say thank you for the advice. I think you are correct that that build would work better.

After synching a bit with the rest of the players and the DM I want and need to play a Bard for background and story reasons. I dont mind, I like the bard. At first I was thinking a dip in hexblade to get som firepower and armor, bur we have anoher player in the group who wanna be pure hexblade and will let hom cover that. So, it seems I will go Lore Bard with a dip in Knowledge Cleric for some skill-monkeying and armor proficiency, works for the character concept as it turned out.

Still intrigued. How would one build a necromancer sorcerer? What lvl could it actually start animating stuff?

Hipno
2019-03-08, 05:49 AM
I would suggest 1Cleric/#Divine sorc. Id try and get proficiency in both performance and an instrument from a background (entertainer background for example).
Cleric may not share a main stat with the rest of the build, but i think keeping spell slot progression is more important. Plus you can always grab some ritural spells and buff cantrips so your dont actually have to cast with Wis. Note that Virtue works on undead ;).
A Divine Soul Sorcerer can choose cleric spells, which gives you access to Animate Dead when you gain a 3rd level spell. You gain a 3rd level spell at 5 levels of sorc (earlier than the 6 levels of bard you'd need). This and you gain metamagic while still remaining Charisma based.