PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Sorcery Point Buying Spell Slots

Wuzza
2019-03-01, 06:44 PM
I've done a quick search and cant find anything on this.

Happened in my game earlier: The Sorcerer (lvl 6) used sorcery points to "buy" a spell slot. I'd given him a magical orb previously that gave him an additional slot, which currently takes him to 7 points. With this he can buy a 5th level spell slot.

As we're still not 100% down on the rules, I allowed him to do this and cast Dispel Magic at level 5 (which disrupted a magical orb imprisoning the dwarves they were searching for)

Question is: This does let him cast a spell at level 5, at class level 6 (7)? I couldnt immediately see any reason why not, or have I missed something? If so, it's a pretty awesome class feature, albiet using all of the sorc points available, and raises the Sorcerer above what I had previously thought of them.

Cheers. :)

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-01, 06:59 PM
You can use sorc points to cast at a higher level than normal.

But you can't have more sorc points than your max, ie 6 points max.

6 points does let you cast a 4th level spell,

pg 101 phb

Dalebert
2019-03-07, 08:09 PM
It is nice but very expensive in terms of opportunity cost, i.e. the cost of not having sorcery points to do what sorcs are all about--metamagic. As a general rule, I never make slots with sorc points; only sorc points from slots. I tend to use MM on almost every spell in some form or another. A rare exception is a sorlock who might do it so their lock slots don't get wasted on a short rest.

Naro
2019-03-07, 08:13 PM
Use it to cast upcasted animate dead.

Keravath
2019-03-07, 10:38 PM
As long as the sorcerer has the spell points he can purchase a spell slot at a level higher than he is currently capable of casting.

"Creating Spell Slots. You can transform unexpended sorcery points into one spell slot as a bonus action on your turn. The Creating Spell Slots table shows the cost of creating a spell slot of a given level. You can create spell slots no higher in level than 5th"

CREATING SPELL SLOTS
Spell Slot Sorcery
Level Point Cost
1st 2
2nd 3
3rd 5
4th 6
5th 7

Since you gave the 6th level sorcerer a magic item that granted him an extra spell point he is able to use his 7 spell points to purchase a 5th level slot. Normally, a 6th level sorcerer could only purchase a 4th level slot and a 7th level could purchase a 5th level slot even though they won't actually get a slot at those levels normally until 7th and 9th level respectively.

He can then use the spell slot to upcast one of the spells he knows though purchasing that spell slot is using most if not all of the available spell points.

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-07, 10:56 PM
Since you gave the 6th level sorcerer a magic item that granted him an extra spell point he is able to use his 7 spell points to purchase a 5th level slot. Normally, a 6th level sorcerer could only purchase a 4th level slot and a 7th level could purchase a 5th level slot even though they won't actually get a slot at those levels normally until 7th and 9th level respectively.

He can then use the spell slot to upcast one of the spells he knows though purchasing that spell slot is using most if not all of the available spell points.

the crux is that you can never have more spell points than your level. in this case, 6 points max.
from Font of Magic "You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level. "

Aett_Thorn
2019-03-08, 06:33 AM
the crux is that you can never have more spell points than your level. in this case, 6 points max.
from Font of Magic "You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level. "

Except that the DM specifically gave them a magic item that avoids this.

Hipno
2019-03-08, 06:54 AM
It is nice but very expensive in terms of opportunity cost, i.e. the cost of not having sorcery points to do what sorcs are all about--metamagic. As a general rule, I never make slots with sorc points; only sorc points from slots. I tend to use MM on almost every spell in some form or another. A rare exception is a sorlock who might do it so their lock slots don't get wasted on a short rest.

Unless your a Wild Soul Sorcerer, then you'll be wanting to turn all your points into slots. And probably also your higher level spellslots into points, and then level 1 spells.-

Nhorianscum
2019-03-08, 08:47 AM
I've done a quick search and cant find anything on this.

Happened in my game earlier: The Sorcerer (lvl 6) used sorcery points to "buy" a spell slot. I'd given him a magical orb previously that gave him an additional slot, which currently takes him to 7 points. With this he can buy a 5th level spell slot.

As we're still not 100% down on the rules, I allowed him to do this and cast Dispel Magic at level 5 (which disrupted a magical orb imprisoning the dwarves they were searching for)

Question is: This does let him cast a spell at level 5, at class level 6 (7)? I couldnt immediately see any reason why not, or have I missed something? If so, it's a pretty awesome class feature, albiet using all of the sorc points available, and raises the Sorcerer above what I had previously thought of them.

Cheers. :)

Yes. Welcome to sorcerer.

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-08, 08:56 AM
Except that the DM specifically gave them a magic item that avoids this.

Hmm.
I read " I'd given him a magical orb previously that gave him an additional slot, which currently takes him to 7 points." as
he burned the spell slot from the magic item burned to get to 7 points.

You read it as "the magical orb gives an additional spell slot and lets him have up to 7 points"?