PDA

View Full Version : DM Help PEACH New Spells for Artificer, Sorcerer and Wizard

tmjr6
2019-03-01, 07:52 PM
Hello everyone, now that an updated version of the artificer is present I felt it was appropriate to share these remakes of older infusions for 5e. These were some of my favorite spells to use back when I played the class:

Blast Rod
3rd-level evocation

Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (an iron rod worth at least 50 gp)
Duration: 1 hour

Weaving arcane force into the rod you store raw force, saving its destructive force to be used for a future time. You store 6d8 dice within the rod, which you can focus on a single blast or divide among several targets. You can also give this rod to another creature to use, as long as their intelligence is 6 or higher.

To use the rod, you designate how many dice of damage you wish to release, then make a spell attack, using the caster's spell attack bonus, as an action against any target within 60 feet. On a hit, you deal an amount of force damage equal to the amount of dice spent. Regardless of whether the attack hits or not, the damage dice you specified are subtracted from the total stored in the rod.

At Higher Levels. If you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you can store an additional 1d8 dice for each slot above 3rd.

Inflict Damage
1st-level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 action
Components: V,S
Duration: Instantaneous

Make a melee spell attack against a creature you can reach. On a hit, the target takes 3d8 force damage. If the creature is a construct, you have advantage on the attack roll.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot above 1st.

Repair
1st-level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 action
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

A construct you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting modifier.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d8 for each slot above 1st.

Spell Storing Infusion
2nd-level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 minute
Components: S, M (a nonmagical item of your choice)
Duration: 1 hour

This infusion allows you to place a spell effect into an item to draw it forth later, at your command. The item becomes, in effect, a wand with a single charge, which only you can use.

You can imbue any 1st level spell into the item, that has a casting time of 1 action or less. You use your spellcasting save DC and attack modifier when applicable and your Intelligence modifier if the spell calls for your spellcasting ability modifier. You must make a successful Arcana check equal to 15 + three times the spell level to emulate the spell and store it in the item. If you fail this check by 10 or more, you suffer a mishap, causing you to suffer arcane backlash, dealing 2d6 force damage to you.

A single item can carry only one spell at a time. You must provide any components the spell requires, which this spell consumes as part of casting the spell. At any point during the spell’s duration, you may choose to activate the item by spending an action, to cast the emulated spell.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using certain higher-level spell slots, the level of spell you can emulate increases: a 2nd-level spell with a 3rd-level slot, a 3rd-level spell with a 4th-level slot, and a 4th-level spell with a 5th-level slot. In addition, the backlash increase by 1d6 force damage for each level above 1st.

New Spell Lists:

Artificer: Blast Rod, Inflict Damage, Repair, Spell Storing Infusion
Sorcerer: Repair
Wizard: Repair

utopus
2019-03-06, 09:28 AM
Blast rod needs to define a spell attack if you give it to another target. Inflict damage needs a damage type. Your infusion spell could probably be simplified a little bit by just making the mishap on your failed check always the same (e.g. You cause a wild magic surge, you take 2d6 force damage, etc.)

Ganymede
2019-03-06, 09:36 AM
I do not like the idea of trading specialization for large bonuses. With that in mind, I'd tweak Inflict Damage to be less powerful and more broadly applicable.

Am I missing something with Blast Rod? 5d8 damage to one target for a third level spell slot feels fairly paltry, and the ability to precharge the rod does not seem to make up for it.

Also, you should delete the third edition lingo like "standard action."

tmjr6
2019-03-06, 10:45 AM
I have edited the spells with the following details in mind:

-Blast Rod: Updated to 8d8 for its initial spell amount
-Inflict Damage: Changed to 3d8 Force damage and applicable to any creature, but you gain advantage on the attack roll if the creature is a construct.
-Repair: Same as before.
-Spell Infusion: Changed the backlash to just be 2d6 scaling force damage.

Unk
2019-03-07, 07:48 AM
Blast Rod
3rd-level evocation

At Higher Levels. If you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you can store an additional 1d8 dice for each slot above 4th.

I think you meant "additional 1d8 dice for each slot above 3rd.", no?

tmjr6
2019-03-07, 09:03 AM
I think you meant "additional 1d8 dice for each slot above 3rd.", no? Yes, thank you for catching that, I didn't realize I did that.

Skyblaze
2019-03-07, 09:26 AM
I feel like Blast Rod should be at least a 4th level spell, if not 5th since it is no concentration. I mean, you could crit with this thing.

bc56
2019-03-07, 09:49 AM
I feel like Blast Rod should be at least a 4th level spell, if not 5th since it is no concentration. I mean, you could crit with this thing.

Yeah
8d8 is the damage of Blight, a single-target 4th level spell, and multitarget spells should always do less damage to each target than a single target spell.
As written, Blast Rod is better than Fireball, and Fireball is already stronger than the vast majority of 3rd level attack spells.

Skyblaze
2019-03-07, 09:59 AM
I was thinking either increase the level requirement or reduce the number of D8s able to be shot out in one action, similar to Melfs Minute Meteors.

tmjr6
2019-03-07, 10:11 AM
New Updates:

-Blast rod has been lowered to 8d6, and I updated its At higher levels to scale from each slot above 3rd, not 4th.

Joe the Rat
2019-03-07, 10:33 AM
Comparators:

Blast Rod and Melf's Minute Meteors
This actually shares a lot of the principle (pool of potential damage, split between targets), but is single target attacks vs. multiple small AoEs. At 8d6, I think it's good on damage. I am not 100% on it being non-con though.

Inflict Damage and Cause Wounds
Less damage, better damage type, creature-type-specific bonus. I think this is good. "Smiting Touch" - invoking the Mace of Smiting - is another possible name, but spells with "smite" have a particular usage - so leave it here.

Repair and Cure Wounds
Complete copy for an otherwise unaffected target type. Good for golems, shield guardians, and turrets, a waste of spell slots for an alchemical homunculus.
Add an undead version for clerics and possibly wizards, and the set is complete.

Spell Storing Infusion and Casting a Spell
By "following the rules appropriate to the spell," I am going to assume you mean for targeting and effects, not the full nonmaterial casting requirements. You are burning a spell slot to make a mundane item a magic item (and thus usable as a casting focus), and taking the risk of eating force damage to be able to cast any spell in silence. Unless there are more parameters here, I'm not sure this is worth the extra slot.

Skyblaze
2019-03-07, 10:44 AM
Comparators:

Blast Rod and Melf's Minute Meteors
This actually shares a lot of the principle (pool of potential damage, split between targets), but is single target attacks vs. multiple small AoEs. At 8d6, I think it's good on damage. I am not 100% on it being non-con though.

I think because it has less over all damage now than Melf's its...fine? Though now with the same amount of damage as fireball/lightning bolt the question becomes, why not just use fireball or lightning bolt. The benefit of Melfs is the bonus action casting.

tmjr6
2019-03-07, 11:04 AM
I think because it has less over all damage now than Melf's its...fine? Though now with the same amount of damage as fireball/lightning bolt the question becomes, why not just use fireball or lightning bolt. The benefit of Melfs is the bonus action casting. I thought the bonus action would be a little too powerful for the spell, and unlike Melf's Minute Meteors, you can also give this to another creature, which I think is a huge benefit.

Blackbando
2019-03-07, 12:04 PM
You know, it might be a good idea to post homebrew in the homebrew section. Could get more eyes from people that are interested, or might have some points that other folks here haven't pointed out, yet.

bc56
2019-03-07, 01:29 PM
"Smiting Touch" - invoking the Mace of Smiting - is another possible name, but spells with "smite" have a particular usage - so leave it here.

I'm fairly sure the name "Mace of Smiting' is a mistake, since the "Mace of Disruption" affects fiends and it affects constructs, but normally smite effects are better against fiends, I'm pretty sure when they wrote it they got the names mixed up. I would call it "Disrupting Touch"

Rukelnikov
2019-03-07, 04:43 PM
Spell Storing Infusion is very broken, the high DC is good, being able to choose ANY spell of the apropriate level is not.

It doesn't matter if I fail 10 times before getting to infuse Contingency or Find Greater Steed since I only need to cast it once every so often. You are also getting a familiar at lvl 1 (which is not in the artificer list).

Consider claryfing what "At any point during the spell’s duration, you may choose to activate the item as an action, following the rules appropriate to the spell. " means. A spell that has 1 minute casting time will be cast in an action or its full minute? I assume you mean the full minute.

I'm also assuming you can't lend the item to someone else to use, maybe you should call that out in the description too.

I'd make Spell Storing Infusion a lvl 2 spell, that allows any spell of lvl 1, and increasing slot increases infused spell accordingly, it may still be very OP (and sounds like a class feature more than a spell tbh), but at least a wizard won't get access to every spell in the game with 2 lvl dips (1 for artificer and getting SSI, another 1 lvl dip for Expertise), he will need 4, and still won't be able to replicate 9th lvl spells. Bards will still poach this for effective unlimited Magical Secrets given that they always get expertise (at least Int isn't their main stat :S), which will be kinda broken too, but the 1 lvl "tax" at least mitigates it somewhat :S

tmjr6
2019-03-08, 03:18 PM
Spell Storing Infusion is very broken, the high DC is good, being able to choose ANY spell of the apropriate level is not.

I'd make Spell Storing Infusion a lvl 2 spell, that allows any spell of lvl 1, and increasing slot increases infused spell accordingly, it may still be very OP (and sounds like a class feature more than a spell tbh), but at least a wizard won't get access to every spell in the game with 2 lvl dips (1 for artificer and getting SSI, another 1 lvl dip for Expertise), he will need 4, and still won't be able to replicate 9th lvl spells. Bards will still poach this for effective unlimited Magical Secrets given that they always get expertise (at least Int isn't their main stat :S), which will be kinda broken too, but the 1 lvl "tax" at least mitigates it somewhat :S

I've balanced the spell to be more inline with its previous counterpart. Only spells with a casting time of 1 action or less can be emulated, it is a maximum of 4th level spells, which would limit bards who poach it as well. And, most importantly, only the spellcaster can use the item.