PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Subclass: Monk, Way of Submission (Any feedback greatly encouraged and wanted)

suplee215
2019-03-01, 10:29 PM
I am currently homebrewing a subclass for my game. While I intend for this to be used by an NPC and possible villain, I also will give it as an option to my players. The entire point of the subrace is to make a grappling monk. Any and all feedback on this will be greatly appreciated. I also fear this might be too much a one trick pony and any suggestions on making this subclass not completely useless when it can't grapple will help. I also have no idea what to make the subclass's level 17 ability.

Monk Way of the Submission

Level 3: Technique over Strength
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level your skill aids in feats of brute strength. Whenever you make an athletic check you can add your dexterity modifier to the roll. You are also trained in the art of submission. Whenever you make a grapple or shove with one of your attacks, you can use a bonus action to make an unarmed attack. In addition, you may spend a ki point to gain advantage on any athletic check to grapple or shove. You must use this ability before you roll.

Level 6: The Bigger They Are
You have trained to use an opponent’s size to your advantage. You can grapple creatures regardless of their size. If the creature is 2 sizes larger than you their movement speed is halved instead of 0. If the creature is 3 or more sizes larger than you their speed is unaffected but they remain grapple. In addition when you knock a target prone they take damage equal to your monk weapon die. This damage is doubled if the creature is grappled.
Redirect Attack
When a creature misses you with an attack roll, you can spend 1 ki point as a reaction to cause that attack to hit one creature of your choice that you have grapple.

Level 11:
You become more adapt at attacking grappled targets. You can add your proficiency bonus to damage rolls against grappled creatures.

Level 17: [I have no idea what to put here and any suggestions will be much loved]

Ogrillian
2019-03-03, 03:04 AM
This needs a lot of tweaking especially the Level 6 skill, no halfling should be able to grapple an Ancient Red dragon, even at level 18. I recommend the following

Level 3: Technique over Strength.
You are trained in the art of submission, your grapples are just as strong as your attacks. When Failing a grapple check the target receives an Unarmed Strike.
Also A grappled opponent can still be targeted by your unarmed strikes, including FoB.

Level 6: Size doesn’t matter
You have trained to use every ounce of your body to your advantage. You may grapple up to 2 sizes larger than you and as a Bonus Action you may spend a Ki point to knock your grappled opponent prone and they take your Unarmed Strike damage for each size difference. Equal sized opponents are considered a size smaller.

Level 11: Death Grip,
You become more adapt at attacking grappled targets. You can add your proficiency bonus to your attack and damage rolls against grappled creatures.

Level 17:?