PDA

View Full Version : Setting - Egyptian pantheon, deserts, what now?

Particle_Man
2019-03-01, 10:46 PM
So I may be dming a game soon and thought I would go with the Egyptian pantheon in the phb and lots of sandy deserts. So not from a historical pov but from a gaming pov what are some ideas that I could use?

NRSASD
2019-03-01, 11:02 PM
From a historic perspective: Yearly floods along the great river that flows through every major city turn the normally barren desert into a farming heaven of mythic proportions. Hippos that can cross boats with their jaws. Great caravans crossing the desert laden with ivory and gold, while expeditions into trackless jungles return with rare woods, spices, creatures, and incense. Bows, spears, maces, and axes rule the battlefield, while swords and horsemen are virtually unknown.

From a mythic perspective: Kings are actual gods-in-mortal-flesh. The river turns red with blood when the gods are furious or great battles are fought. Jackal-headed tribes roam the desert sands, while giant snakes with paralyzing gazes haunt the jungles. Mysterious raiders speaking in foreign tongues and wielding weapons of unknown metals and design come by boat and chariot from the north. And of course, mummies.

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-03-01, 11:03 PM
Check out the old AD&D Desert of Desolation module. I'm currently in a game where the DM revamped it to play nice with 5e and I've been having a blast in it so far. Most of it you can keep the same, too, just gotta adjust the monster encounters to make sense with 5e.

It literally has Ra and Anubis in it, as well as a lot of other Egyptian/desert motifs, like wandering desert tribes, giant complex pyramid structure, general desert survival stuff, and Efreeti and such. The first module has you trying to ransack an old Pharoah's tomb.

Sigreid
2019-03-01, 11:24 PM
Roman Invaders.

Max_Killjoy
2019-03-01, 11:45 PM
Roman Invaders.

"Kush-ite" invaders.
"Persian" invaders.
"Greek" invaders.

JNAProductions
2019-03-01, 11:48 PM
"Kush-ite" invaders.
"Persian" invaders.
"Greek" invaders.

Pro-tip:

Use Ku****e to bypass the filter, when you need to. I've used it for when someone tilts their head slightly.

Quote my post to see what I did.

LudicSavant
2019-03-02, 12:38 AM
Pro-tip:

Use Ku****e to bypass the filter, when you need to. I've used it for when someone tilts their head slightly.

Quote my post to see what I did.

That's a good trick for bypassing a filter that filters perfectly appropriate words.

JNAProductions
2019-03-02, 12:39 AM
That's a good trick for bypassing a filter that filters perfectly appropriate words.

Exactly. Be careful with it, though-if you do do that, that means you KNOW it's meant to be filtered, so you better be DAMN SURE that it's appropriate.

OracularPoet
2019-03-02, 01:07 AM
Here’s one from way back in the day. Arabian rather than Egyptian, but should be easy to adapt. FYI, the Cup and Talisman of Al’Akbar were artifacts described the the 1e DMG.

Day of Al’Akbar
Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_Al%27Akbar
For purchase ($3.49, per site, for electronic copy): https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/17053

Yora
2019-03-02, 03:02 AM
Spears of the Dawn is a quite good resource with plenty of great ideas. It's more based on West Africa, but there's a lot of desert and jungle stuff in there, and five detailed cultures with a good amount of ideas you can use for your own. Also good advice on working with settings unfamiliar to the players and a small number of interesting monsters that should be easy to convert to 5th ed.