PDA

View Full Version : It's easy to read spells to quickly

Aaedimus
2019-03-02, 02:47 AM
I literally reread the haste spell after my last game and realized: oh... I shouldn't have been casting a cantrip with my second action.

XD Whoops!

It felt a little like my booming blade/shillelagh combo was doing huge amounts of damage for a 5th level druid.

holywhippet
2019-03-02, 02:58 AM
That combo should still be viable. Cast haste then shillelagh and for each turn onwards cast booming blade as a cantrip then use the haste action to attack.

Aaedimus
2019-03-02, 03:31 AM
Yes, you can cast booming blade, and attack separately. However you can't cast booming Blade twice, which is what I was doing. That's an extra 2d8 if they move

holywhippet
2019-03-02, 01:25 PM
Except that won't work either. The same spell won't stack with itself so booming blade will only do 1d8 damage if the target moves no matter how many times it has been applied. On top of that, how are you even casting it if you are a druid? Did you take high elf for your race?

stoutstien
2019-03-02, 01:27 PM
Except that won't work either. The same spell won't stack with itself so booming blade will only do 1d8 damage if the target moves no matter how many times it has been applied. On top of that, how are you even casting it if you are a druid? Did you take high elf for your race?
Tome lock?

Aaedimus
2019-03-26, 09:41 AM
Magic initiate. And I was level 5, so I was basically adding an extra D8 on hit more than what I could have been

nickl_2000
2019-03-26, 09:43 AM
We've all done it a time or twelve. We accidentally cheat by misreading a spell or ability. Just apologize to the DM and players and avoid the mistake in the future :smallsmile:

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-26, 10:06 AM
Developers: Proceeds to make spells simpler so that they're easier and faster to read.
Gamers: Skim over spells and miss major restrictions because they read it too fast.
Developers: :annoyed:

jaappleton
2019-03-26, 10:10 AM
Sorc at the table read Dragon's Breath and thought he could use the breath as a bonus action.

I, a fellow player, reminded him its an action to breathe, but a bonus action to cast.

Sorc: "NO, you're WRONG."

Me: -calmly reads spell out loud-

Sorc: -silence-

Me: "Look, I wish I wasn't wrong, I welcome anything to help us kill these Werewolves faster. But it is what it is."

Sorc: "..........I instead cast..."

I've read stuff too quickly myself, plenty of times. Made that mistake quite a bit. Its all a learning experience, regardless of how much we've played.

ChildofLuthic
2019-03-26, 12:15 PM
Erupting Earth mentions that it creates difficult terrain where each 5 foot square takes "a minute to clear" and my druid thought that meant it took a minute to move through. I believed her because other spells create difficult terrain that takes longer than half speed to move through, like Plant Growth. Little did I know they meant it takes 1 minute to clear away the debris.

AvvyR
2019-03-28, 02:16 PM
Erupting Earth mentions that it creates difficult terrain where each 5 foot square takes "a minute to clear" and my druid thought that meant it took a minute to move through. I believed her because other spells create difficult terrain that takes longer than half speed to move through, like Plant Growth. Little did I know they meant it takes 1 minute to clear away the debris.

This one's really easy to interpret wrong because in the vernacular, "clearing" an obstacle usually means getting past it.

MountainTiger
2019-03-28, 02:17 PM
I originally read Witch Bolt as getting 1d12/spell slot on every tick when upcast instead of just the initial hit.

clash
2019-03-28, 03:22 PM
the first time I read the sleep spell "Creatures within 20 feet of a point you choose within range are affected" I thought it meant "Choose creatures within 20 feet of a point to be affected"

KOLE
2019-03-28, 05:42 PM
For an entire session I played a Ranger for the first time (starting at level 5) I rolled a d8 for Hunter’s Mark damage. Everything else was a d8, my Rapier, Colossus Slayer, and my offhand “Flintlock” (could attack with a bonus action by DM rule with Crossbow Expert), so I just lumped it in with that. It was already a cheesy build, so i felt really bad about it, but it was an honest mistake on my part.

nickl_2000
2019-03-28, 05:44 PM
DMs make the same mistakes to. We had a couple of early battles in our current campaign that were absolutely brutal sure to the DM forgetting about concentration rules :)

That for corrected when we as players asked how the NPC had so many spells running at once. The answer was "oops".