PDA

View Full Version : DM Help There Pinkey And The Brain...

Metahuman1
2019-03-02, 04:22 AM
So, going to be GMing Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition starting in a couple of weeks. DCU setting and source books.

I've got 1 player, the groups current GM who will be rotating out to give himself a chance to get ready for a new game in a new system, running a Privet Detective who has crap luck and is currently getting powers he doesn't particularly want from Satan. Who is mostly doing it cause it amuses him that the universe is using this guy as a chew toy even with out him helping that along.

1 is playing a Gigantic kitty cat who can shrink itself to normal cat size, and hails form another planet.

1 is playing a scientist who accidentally turned herself into a fire breathing lizard woman.

1 is playing a sort of fire/vampire/spirit thing legends of which are evidently native too the Philippines (I admit I'm confused how that works, not the best versed in mythology form that area of the world but once I attend to the present problem, I'll have time to sit down with him and iron it out a bit more so that I know what I'm doing with that one.).

and I have 2 more players.

Who want to play Super Hero versions of Pinky And The Brain, from the Cartoon, Pinky And The Brain.

The Brains player is thinking in terms of having a human sized Robot that she pilots around to pass as human, and passes the high tech weapons systems off as energy control type powers.

The Pinky player thinks it would be amusing, since were in the DCU, to play what happens when Pinky get's a Blue Lantern Ring.

And I, as the GM, need some help with stats.

How do I stat Pinky And The Brain? I have ideas for The Robot and of course Super Intelligence for Brain, and I have ideas for The Lantern Stuff for Pinky, that's all easy. It's the mouse part and anything unique too there personality's with out it costing a fortune in points to be lab mice that's giving me fits.

PL 10 game, with 180 starting PP.

Any body got some ideas on this?

Quertus
2019-03-02, 10:59 AM
How do you stat them? However the players want them statted.

EDIT - for Pinky, ask if he wants a set Multi, or a dynamic Variable.

EDIT 2 - for Brain, the system hates "vehicles with hands", and probably wants him to buy Multiform / shapeshifter / whatever.

EDIT 3 - both need permission to have "beyond PL" levels of innate shrinking.

Hackulator
2019-03-02, 11:35 AM
Just let them be lab mice. I don't think in a game as silly as this one (please note that's not meant to be an insult, I enjoy silly games) that you need to worry about statting out what it means to be a lab mouse. Just make then take things like strength or stamina as enhanced trait powers instead of base traits and then give their stuff the removable flaw cause they could theoretically lose the ring or the robot.

Son of A Lich!
2019-03-02, 04:15 PM
Oh... Oh my... I LOVE this character concept. Pinky with a blue Lantern Ring, and Brain going all Lex Luthor.

Brain would be best suited with an alternate form removable device. Essentially stat up either a Power House or a Paragon with a 4/5s power point reduction and make sure its clear that Brain is going to have to work to get his suit up and running. I think Uncontrolled would be a popular flaw among his weapon load out due to Brain's seemingly uncanny ability to NOT think through his plans to success. The remaining 1/5 of the PP would go into a high intellect, innately small character with a possible array of mecha suits.

For Pinky, I would basically have an energy controller style character with all his powers in a removable device that is a wide array, including creation, toughness, strikes of various kinds, at least two afflictions, flight and maybe a low ranked Variable effect. While he wouldn't be hard to stat up, he would have a problem with actually playing the character out. I'd let him take extras or flaws off to fine tune his abilities and make maintaining his flight and armor valid while switching out the specifics of his attack options.

This is why I'd give him two different kinds of afflictions - so that he could always have a attack for any kind of scenario without breaking the levels of the game.

I don't know how well versed Pinky is with M&M, but adjusting your PPs on the fly is a bit of a hassle. You can always simply the prospect with an odd collection of arrays that have defenses, utility and offensives in one selection.

Man, I never get players with ideas like that. Pinky and the Brain in the DC universe... it's a thing of beauty. NARF!

Grod_The_Giant
2019-03-02, 04:43 PM
Feature 6 (Mouse sized), Innate handles being tiny pretty well, without having to mess around with the painfully awkward Growth/Shrinking powers. Senses 2 (Ranged, Acute Smell) and some greatly reduced Strength and Stamina (Say, Str -5, Sta -4) should cover the rest of the "being a mouse" part pretty effectively.

Metahuman1
2019-03-03, 03:49 AM
Son of A Lich! :

Oh this is nothing. The Pinky Player? I ran a 3.5 D&D Monster Gestalt Game awhile back, Sandbox kingdom building type thing.

He played a Kobolt Rouge/Swordsage//Artificer. Named Inventor Pym. Who went around trying to use a jacked up bluff and disguise check to persuade everyone that he was Norm L. Gnome. A Normal Gnome. With a skin condition.

It was a VERY thinly veiled Invader Zim expy, and we had absolute field days with it!

I think the Brain is just going to wind up investing points in Removable Device and I'll treat it like an Iron Man/Battle Suit Archatype with some fluff changes. The uncontrolled idea is brilliant however, I'll have to float that at the player. Might also use it as a complication, I can give them a hero point every time I the GM decided the suit does something humorous instead of effective.

And for Blue Lantern, I Think they stated out some Blue Lanterns in one of the DC source books. I'll just scale one of those back. If they didn't I'll just scale back and refluff Green Lantern to fit PL limits and point limits after I figure out how to pay for them being Mice and there personality quirks.

Grod_The_Giant:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly what I was looking for! =)

Now, I know Brain is probably going to need Eidenic Memory, Jack of All Trades and of course a super humanly high intelligence.

But is there any particular thing Pinky should have to sort of represent his particular character?

Beleriphon
2019-03-03, 10:24 AM
This is exactly what I was looking for! =)

Now, I know Brain is probably going to need Eidenic Memory, Jack of All Trades and of course a super humanly high intelligence.

But is there any particular thing Pinky should have to sort of represent his particular character?

And the Perception and Charisma of... well Brain.

The Glyphstone
2019-03-03, 11:50 AM

Low intelligence and super-high wisdom. He's dumb as a rock, but very loyal to Brain and fairly sensible. He occasionally has bursts of genuinely insightful knowledge or advice (which Brain rarely listens to). So low Intelligence, high Wisdom, give him Teamwork and some ranks of Luck for re-rolls.

Son of A Lich!
2019-03-03, 01:30 PM
Son of A Lich! :

Oh this is nothing. The Pinky Player? I ran a 3.5 D&D Monster Gestalt Game awhile back, Sandbox kingdom building type thing.

He played a Kobolt Rouge/Swordsage//Artificer. Named Inventor Pym. Who went around trying to use a jacked up bluff and disguise check to persuade everyone that he was Norm L. Gnome. A Normal Gnome. With a skin condition.

It was a VERY thinly veiled Invader Zim expy, and we had absolute field days with it!

*Winces and writhes in pain as he swallows a gnomish healing potion* AH! The DELIGHTFUL Torturous pain of pure loving FILTHY! Gnome Brew! I'm NORMAL! I'M NORMAL!!!

I had a game idea for a bunch of goblins PCs trying to take over a City in a competitive Invader Zim-esque fiasco that I never got to see through. As in, the characters would die frequently but be replaced by their brothers/uncles/Clones/very convincing steampunk robot duplicates. I was going to hand out Hero Points for anything that was enough to get me to laugh and absolutely shouldn't work but the dice decided otherwise (To encourage players to go completely off the rails and take odd and overly complicated routes to success).

We never got off the ground, due to ship rotation, but it would've been fun.

Metahuman1
2019-03-03, 11:18 PM
And the Perception and Charisma of... well Brain.

What do you figure for those? +12 Perception modifier and 3 Prescience Score? More? Less?

Low intelligence and super-high wisdom. He's dumb as a rock, but very loyal to Brain and fairly sensible. He occasionally has bursts of genuinely insightful knowledge or advice (which Brain rarely listens to). So low Intelligence, high Wisdom, give him Teamwork and some ranks of Luck for re-rolls.

Figure a -1 or a -2 for the Intelligence? And what, Awareness Score of 3? 4? More? Insight Modifier of 12? 15? Higher? Less?

Teamwork is a good idea, and a couple of ranks of Luck wouldn't go amiss either, I agree.

I had a game idea for a bunch of goblins PCs trying to take over a City in a competitive Invader Zim-esque fiasco that I never got to see through. As in, the characters would die frequently but be replaced by their brothers/uncles/Clones/very convincing steampunk robot duplicates. I was going to hand out Hero Points for anything that was enough to get me to laugh and absolutely shouldn't work but the dice decided otherwise (To encourage players to go completely off the rails and take odd and overly complicated routes to success).

We never got off the ground, due to ship rotation, but it would've been fun.[/SIZE]

That game sounds AMAZING! XD!

But yeah, no, he was great. We had another player who was a Drider, and she went around bugging the crap out of him by making him think his workshop was haunted when it was just her using prestidigitation and him rolling 2's and 1's and 3's on his "common Sense" checks. (Wisdom Checks with DC's of 5 or occasionally 10. He had a -1 Wisdom Modifier.).

The Glyphstone
2019-03-03, 11:28 PM
Int -2 seems appropriate - he can still perform basic functions and communicate effectively. I'd say his Awareness should be equal to Brain's Intelligence (and Brain's Awareness should be equal to Pinky's Intelligence - he can put extra ranks into Perception to compensate for the natural deficit). Insight mod as high as his Power Level will permit.

Metahuman1
2019-03-03, 11:32 PM
Alright, how high do you think I should go on Brains perception? +12 mod total? More?

Also, how far do you think Presence should go? 3? 4? Higher?

Beleriphon
2019-03-06, 05:43 PM
Alright, how high do you think I should go on Brains perception? +12 mod total? More?

Also, how far do you think Presence should go? 3? 4? Higher?

Brain has a miserable perception score. He's terrifyingly unaware.

I'd go with an Awareness of maybe 1, Presence the same. I might even be inclined to leave that the base 0, or negative. I depends on how you see Brain compared to the average person, which are represented as a score of 0.