PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Two crafting questions.

skunk3
2019-03-02, 05:15 AM
1. Using the rules for creating/crafting custom items, let us say I have a base item. In this case, a Mask of Lies, for example. Let's say that I wanted to add a +4 bonus to INT to this item. If I add this enhancement myself, would the gold cost be half of the amount of the enhancement, plus 1/25th the value in XP? (Furthermore, could someone explain to me which additions I could make to a custom item that do not incur to extra 1.5x price modifier?) I guess what I am asking here is if crafters can pay 50% of the GP value + 1/25th in XP when it comes to enhancements that have flat costs like that... or if you have to pay full price. Make sense?

2. Let's say I have a base item and I want to customize it by adding the magical properties of another item of the same slot. Let us also assume that the base item has a price of, say, 50k GP and the value of the other item (the one I want to add) has a value of 20k GP. I know that according to the rules the cost to add this new property to the existing item would in this case be 1.5x the cost of the item whose properties I want to add to the existing item because it is the cheaper of the two, so in other words that puts me at 30k GP. If I am able to craft this item myself, would I pay half of that in addition to 1/25 of its value in XP?

So would it be this:

Would I pay half of the base price of the item that I want to add but the full extra 50% at no discount for crafting myself? (So 10k GP + 10k GP + 800xp)

-or-

Would I pay half of the base price of the item plus the additional sum that comes from it being 1.5x more expensive (15k GP), and a total of 1,200 XP because the cost to add the item's property(ies) to the existing item is 30k GP?

-or-

Would I pay 15k GP and only 800 XP, meaning that I don't have to pay the extra XP cost related to the 50% gold increase due to making a custom item

?
I am inclined to believe that the second scenario would be the correct one. If I wanted to add the properties of an item that is 20k to an existing piece of gear, I'd pay 1.5x its cost in GP and the total amount of XP I'd have to spend is related to the total GP cost. Am I correct?