PDA

View Full Version : Divine favor + Launch bolt ??

orlondok
2019-03-02, 09:44 AM
Recently started a new (going to be) Mystic Theurge...
Have my 3 levels of Cleric and going into my first level of Wizard ... I am wondering.
Should Divine favor work with Launch bolt?

Divine Favor states:
"Calling upon the strength and wisdom of a deity, you gain a +1 luck bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls for every three caster levels you have (at least +1, maximum +6). The bonus doesn’t apply to spell damage."

Launch bolt:
"You cast this spell on a crossbow bolt, causing it to fly at a target of your choice as if you had fired it from a light crossbow, using a ranged attack roll. The bolt has a range increment of 80 feet. Any properties of the crossbow bolt (such as magical abilities, masterwork quality, and so on) or feats you possess (such as Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus [light crossbow], and so on) apply. Drawing a bolt for this spell is a free action."

BowStreetRunner
2019-03-02, 10:37 AM
With Launch bolt the damage is from the weapon, the spell just launches it instead of a normal crossbow doing so. It is not spell damage per se, it is weapon damage. So Divine Favor should work.

Hackulator
2019-03-02, 10:45 AM
Why is that spell better than having a crossbow?

orlondok
2019-03-02, 11:18 AM

Basically ... it turns it into a standard action instead of a full round (move action to load a Xbow)
This is a bit extra convenient for me considering I have a move of 40 ft. (from my celerity domain)

I am thinking of holding a quarterstaff with 2 wand chambers in it (house rule @ our table is that double weapons can hold a chamber in ea. end) and have one of the chambers hold a wand of launch bolt ...

Thanx much for the speedy replies as usual ...

Remuko
2019-03-02, 11:19 AM

because it costs a spell slot, where a normal crossbow can be used as many time as you have ammo for it?

Hackulator
2019-03-02, 11:32 AM
Basically ... it turns it into a standard action instead of a full round (move action to load a Xbow)
This is a bit extra convenient for me considering I have a move of 40 ft. (from my celerity domain)

I am thinking of holding a quarterstaff with 2 wand chambers in it (house rule @ our table is that double weapons can hold a chamber in ea. end) and have one of the chambers hold a wand of launch bolt ...

Thanx much for the speedy replies as usual ...

I just realized it was a level 0 spell which makes it at least somewhat useful, since not having to actually have a crossbow has value at low levels.

To answer your original question I don't think "spell damage" is particularly well defined so it's really up to you DM. I would probably let it work but I think the best answer is to just ask your DM.

BowStreetRunner
2019-03-02, 01:24 PM
I just realized it was a level 0 spell which makes it at least somewhat useful, since not having to actually have a crossbow has value at low levels.
It would be even more useful in Pathfinder, where cantrips are spam-able all day long.

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-02, 02:32 PM

Because reach and chain can't be used on a crossbow.

Eldariel
2019-03-02, 03:14 PM

To answer your original question I don't think "spell damage" is particularly well defined so it's really up to you DM. I would probably let it work but I think the best answer is to just ask your DM.

Then there's the whole "Arguably it doesn't actually restrict the size of the Bolt you can launch nor is it a weapon wielded" for 6d6 Colossal Bolts out of a cantrip slot... Not necessary to make it useful, of course.

orlondok
2019-03-02, 03:30 PM
The biggest reason I had for wanting to use it was the added mobility ...
That and I would not have to carry a crossbow around (I only have 10 str ... lol)