PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other More Dragonborn Aspects

Corenthius
2019-03-02, 10:44 AM
Hello everyone,
I often use the dragonborn template in my character builds. In my recent build I wanted to make a dragonborn character, but none of the aspects seemed optimal, so I designed a few of my own. I wanted to share them with you and get your opinions on them or inspire others to come up with more aspects.

Scales
• You gain a natural armor bonus of +1. This increases by an additional +1 at 5 HD and every 5HD thereafter (+5 natural armor at 20 HD).
• At 5 HD, you gain resistance 5 against an energy type of your choosing. This increases by an additional 5 of the same energy type every 7 HD thereafter (15 resistance at 19 HD).

Muscles
• You gain the powerful build ability
• You gain a racial bonus of +2 to Strength.

Magic
• You bring out the natural magic affinity of dragons. You gain a +1 to your caster level for any class that casts arcane spells spontaneously. This bonus increases by +1 at 11 HD and every 10 HD thereafter.
• You gain additional bonus spells as if your stat for determining bonus spells was two points higher. This applies only to classes that cast spontaneous arcane spells.

The muscles aspect was inspired by the fact that half-dragon receives a +8 to strength and from "Dragonborn are always slightly bigger than most other members of their original race" taken from under the "Appearance" heading in the template description.

Great Dragon
2019-03-03, 10:26 AM
Magic
• You bring out the natural magic affinity of dragons. You gain a +1 to your caster level for any class that casts arcane spells spontaneously. This bonus increases by +1 at 11 HD and every 10 HD thereafter.
• You gain additional bonus spells as if your stat for determining bonus spells was two points higher.
This applies only to classes that cast spontaneous arcane spells.

This gives a lot of focus on Bards and Sorcerers.
Personally, I would give access to Wizards as well.
Something like -1 Level to Spell Levels for metamagic feats. And -1 more at 11th and every +10 HD.

With the bonus spells also being available to Wizards. Perhaps as a Gift from Bahamut?

Corenthius
2019-03-04, 10:27 PM
I like your metamagic suggestion a lot. I didn't think about going that route to provide a bonus to all casters.
It may be a little overpowering to give a -2 to spell level for metamagic use, but maybe we can come up with some other ability to add to giving them a -1 to spell level for metamagic use.
Maybe go with +1 CL for all spellcasting classes and at 1HD and at 10HD give them -1 to spell level for metamagic use.

Beastlands
2019-03-05, 12:08 AM
Interesting concepts, I have not run into such a unique idea for a spellcasting passive for characters.

Great Dragon
2019-03-05, 01:48 AM
I like your metamagic suggestion a lot. I didn't think about going that route to provide a bonus to all casters.
It may be a little overpowering to give a -2 to spell level for metamagic use, but maybe we can come up with some other ability to add to giving them a -1 to spell level for metamagic use.
Maybe go with +1 CL for all spellcasting classes and at 1HD and at 10HD give them -1 to spell level for metamagic use.

This would be ok. I was thinking that the Wizard could add Still and Silent or Empower to a Spell at 11th level at no real cost, but your idea might be better.
I don't have a regular group for playtesting.:smallsigh:

It's been awhile since anyone has been interested in playing 3x D&D with me IRL.
As such, I'm a little Rusty.:smallsmile:

But, from what I remember of my DM-ing Days - I had to make the Dragonborn Template a +3 Level Adjustment (giving only Class HD - max 1d8/LA - plus Con for Hp so that these PCs can stay alive a little longer! Nothing to Saves, Skills, BaB, etc) and their Breath Weapon once a day, being at about equal as the Half-Dragon.

But, the Dragonborn's Heart ability to change their Breath Type (Acid, Fire, Frost, or Lightning) each time it is used is very potent.

I did give the PC all original Racial Traits.
The Races of the Dragon gives them +2 Con and -2 Dex

I gave the Breath that Recharges every 1d4 rounds a +5 LA, since I did allow Full Dragon PCs into my Game as a +4 LA Wyrmling (Homebrewed Council of Wyrms) - and did not want a Template to easily overshadow them.

-----
I have not decided about the other Dragonborn Types: Mind and Wings.
Then add your Idea of Scales, Muscles, and Magic. +1 LA?

----
As always, watch out for Power Players - choosing either Dragonborn (for the "I can hurt anything" Breath Weapon every 1d4 rounds) or Half-Dragon to be Very Powerful.
Especially if they Rolled an 18 and choose Half-Dragon with +8 Str (26) and then chose Barbarian for another +4 while Raging (30 Str) as an ECL 4 PC!
Some Players will even try to sneak in Half-Orc (since Half-Dragon is also a Template and does not say that it replaces Racial abilities, IiRC) for another +2 Str (Total of +11 To Hit and Damage) - for that Super Great Axe Damage (1d12 + 11 Str + Power Attack) - and then always trying to get
+5 magic (and maybe Elemental Damage) added to it.

Don't get me wrong, it's ok to allow (or even play) that Super Damage PC (Melee, Ranged, Spell), just so long as the DM is aware - and prepared for it.

----
Well, if you read all this, thanks.

Feel free to contact me anytime - PM can be a little slow.
Contact info is on the Player Recruitment: DM Registration
- and more info in the OoC Board, under "5e Forgotten Realms Homebrew"

nonsi
2019-03-10, 03:31 PM

This got me thinking . . .
Instead of "Dragonborn" replacing racial features, what if a character could take a draconic aspect once every 3 levels, by acquiring a LA?
This of course would require some work rebalancing the proposals mentioned above, since obviously Magic > Muscles > Scales.
The idea is to allow the creation of diverse characters, where draconic aspects enrich a character, rather than come instead of other features.
I suggest LAs to prevent the possibility of power abuse.

Great Dragon
2019-03-10, 03:44 PM
@nonsi -
There are ways to do this with the Draconic Bloodline in the Unearthed Arcana.
Minor is +1 LA, Moderate +2 (at 6th level IiRC), and finally a total of +3 for Major (9th Level?)

So you could be a Major Gold Dragon Bloodline Half - Gold Dragon Kobold Dragonborn with Heart for a total of +6 LA. (ECL 15)

(But - in my 3x game this would be a +11 LA = ECL 20)

I'm thinking:
Wings +1 LA. (Winged is also a +1 LA Template)
Mind and Scales +1 LA
Magic +2 LA.