PDA

View Full Version : Need help with human skeleton optimizing

Dunsparce
2019-03-02, 01:25 PM
I want to make use of something my DM is allowing me to do. I can create a human Skeleton or Zombie with class levels.

However, there are some rules

-Stat spread must be 18/16/14/12/10/8 before any adjustments (+2 STR for zombies, +2 Dex for Skeletons). Yes, those are really good stats, but it's a high-power game and that is the stat spread the DM uses for NPCs
-Can only take levels in NPC classes (Adept, Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, Magewright, Warrior)
-Only PrC that can be taken is Survivor
-The only thing the Undead can have even resembling a minion is a Familiar(with etiher the Undead Familar or Spell-stitched Familiar Feats so it too is undead). No Item Familiar, Leadership, Wild Cohort, Using Animate Dead as an Adept, ect.
-Human Skeleton gets its bonus feat and extra skill points it had in life, but cannot have any feats that require them to still be a human as a prerequisite
-I can simply dump the 8 into CON if I want
-All books, official online articles, and Dragon/Dungeon Magazine stuff is allowed (That also means Adept and Magewright both have what few spells they get outside of their original spell list, like Lesser Spell Turning and Bewildering Mischance for the former, and Unseen Crafter and Arcane Seal for the latter)
-Adept Variants can be used (Like Urban Adept and Religious Adept, but the latter needs to have the Evil, Chaos, or Death Domains, the domains Orcus grants)
-Assume no magic items, they will get mostly hand-me-down equipment or some minor stuff if I have spare change
-All Corpsecrafter Feats will be applied to this undead, plus the +4 Dex bonus from Dread Necro. STR bonuses from corpsecrafter and dread necro do not stack)
-Assume 20 level build
-No Templates or alternative racial features for the base human or the skeleton it will currently be. It is a normal default PHB human that became a skeleton.
-No Flaws. Those are for our PCs only. Skill Tricks are fine, though

Eldariel
2019-03-02, 03:21 PM
Well, obviously Adept is far and away the best class of that pack, being competitive with a good number of the PC classes. Just stack as many levels of that as possible with good Wis and focus on throwing spells that don't care about being spell levels behind (most of the good Adept spells are like this). Having the familiar is huge (Spellstitched Undead Touch Spell deliverer...) for extra actions and such. This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?519801-Adept-Spells) has all the non-Core Adept spells in the game AFAIK so that's nice. Remember that Adept is divine but has Familiar which opens up some interesting options particularly feat-wise. Losing Animate Dead is a huge blow - it's the star of the 3rd level Adept list and the best non-combat spell on the list, period, but all the control spells and buffs (Polymorph stands out huge) are still just incredibly awesome.

Really, Adept list has some of the best Wizard spells on each level; Protection from Evil, Web, Invisibility, Polymorph, Wall of Stone, Baleful Polymorph, etc. while also packing some of the best restorative spells (granted, Heal and Restoration are less impressive on Undead). Make use of those. Religious Adept would be kinda nice: Chaos Hammer, Slay Living, Magic Circle against Good, Shatter, Death Ward, Death Knell, Desecrate are all great spells. Too bad about not being able to use Animate Dead; Desecrate would be gimme otherwise. Even without it though, Death-domain is pretty solid and Chaos isn't bad either. I'd lean towards Death for Death Knell, Slay Living and Death Ward (if buffing the living; otherwise nevermind) though. Both Chaos Hammer and Unholy Blight are great too though.

Dunsparce
2019-03-03, 01:47 AM
Well, obviously Adept is far and away the best class of that pack, being competitive with a good number of the PC classes. Just stack as many levels of that as possible with good Wis and focus on throwing spells that don't care about being spell levels behind (most of the good Adept spells are like this). Having the familiar is huge (Spellstitched Undead Touch Spell deliverer...) for extra actions and such. This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?519801-Adept-Spells) has all the non-Core Adept spells in the game AFAIK so that's nice. Remember that Adept is divine but has Familiar which opens up some interesting options particularly feat-wise. Losing Animate Dead is a huge blow - it's the star of the 3rd level Adept list and the best non-combat spell on the list, period, but all the control spells and buffs (Polymorph stands out huge) are still just incredibly awesome.

Really, Adept list has some of the best Wizard spells on each level; Protection from Evil, Web, Invisibility, Polymorph, Wall of Stone, Baleful Polymorph, etc. while also packing some of the best restorative spells (granted, Heal and Restoration are less impressive on Undead). Make use of those. Religious Adept would be kinda nice: Chaos Hammer, Slay Living, Magic Circle against Good, Shatter, Death Ward, Death Knell, Desecrate are all great spells. Too bad about not being able to use Animate Dead; Desecrate would be gimme otherwise. Even without it though, Death-domain is pretty solid and Chaos isn't bad either. I'd lean towards Death for Death Knell, Slay Living and Death Ward (if buffing the living; otherwise nevermind) though. Both Chaos Hammer and Unholy Blight are great too though.

Any particular skills and feats I should need to get the most out of an adept?

Eldariel
2019-03-03, 02:03 AM
Any particular skills and feats I should need to get the most out of an adept?

Well, Adepts are incredibly versatile. Skill-wise, you obviously need Spellcraft and Concentration. You generally want one rank in all Knowledges to roll trained, and they have the Handle Animal-shenanigans open if you want to have your host of animals. Spot and Listen can be good even cross-class since they're Wisdom-based. That said, it's kinda up in the air in what you want to do with them.

Feat-wise, they don't have Turn Undead (though you can always go God-Touched > Divine Channeler [Dragon #305] and then take Extra Turning as desired) so divine metamagic isn't on the table and usual metamagic is a bit hard to pick up but familiar-improving feats are nice. You can also take some metamagic and metamagic reducers such as Metamagic School Focus [CMage] or Easy Metamagic [Dragon #325] and if desired, you can always turn some of the spells arcane. Craft-feats are probably a fine investment since they work with anything. Taking something that grants the Magic-domain granted power (Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment for instance) or UMD in class (Apprentice: Spellcaster for example) is also not a bad idea; opening up spell completion items of any level allows pushing the envelope.

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-03, 06:27 AM
Wis based casting means shapesand would be good to have around. If you are clever about it, you can use it to get around all sorts of problems without using up valuable spells. Maybe toss a point or two into craft alchemy to make your own.

Also, with wis casting, you have the right main stat to get spell stitched.