PDA

View Full Version : Player Help New to D&D, trying to make a Hexblade

Renthlar
2019-03-02, 11:44 PM
Hello. I am fairly new to D&D and am very interested in playing a Hexblade. I recently hit level 3 and am trying to figure out what is the best way to get the most out of the class.

Stats are str 8, 14 dex, 14 con, 11 int, 12 wis, 17 Charisma

Half elf Drow

Cantrips: Dancing lights, Eldtritch Blade, Sword burst

Spells: Hex, Armor of Agathys, Hellis rebuke, Misty Step

Fey Ancestry - Hexblades Curse, Hex Warrior, Pact of the Blade, Elditrch invocation: Agonizing Blast, Improved Pact Weapon

I use a glaive as my weapon.

I would like suggestions of what I should take at each level and what would be the best to multiclass with. I have seen people fighting between fighter/paladin and Shadow Warlock. I want to use eldritch blast for utility in the future for push and pulling towards me so I can hit them with my melee weapon. When I got pact of the blade I got a little confused thinking the bonus applied to all spells such as eldritch blast. I already had my glaive so I am trying to figure out the point of choosing certain weapons to appear in my hand.

I apologize if this seems stupid, I am just trying to understand. So far I am having fun, but when it comes down to the numbers I get really confused.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2019-03-03, 12:30 AM
The Primary consideration with a lot of these questions is how long will this campaign last? A level 9 build and a level 16 build are very different, especially with multiclassing.

A few thoughts, Your stat allocation is basically perfect.
Eldritch Invocations: Improved Pact Weapon is good but as soon as you get a magic weapon, drop it.
Cantrips: Dancing Lights is concentration; keep that in mind as it will compete with a lot of other spells if you need the light. sword burst is not that great, generally you will have an ally within range and if not you would be better off with a straight attack 90% of the time.

Math for sword burst vs. a normal attack. At level 3 it will do 3.5 dmg to each creature that fails it's dex save. A normal attack will do 8.5. For sword burst to be better you need at least 3 enemies and none of them to succeed on their save that is statistically unlikely.

Multiclassing-Don't do it till you have at least 5 levels in your core class.

Fighter: 2-3 Levels is your sweet spot here. Fighting style, Action Surge, Martial Archetype.
Paladin: Anywhere from 2-6 levels. 2 Gets you Divine smite, 1st level spell slots, 10 hp of emergency healing, a fighting style. 3 and 6 increase your offense and defense respectively.
Sorcerer: This becomes a more powerful multiclass the longer you stay in it, 1 level is weakish, 3 gives you your metamagic options such as twinning Booming blade or ray of enfeeblement.

I want to use eldritch blast for utility in the future for push and pulling towards me so I can hit them with my melee weapon. When I got pact of the blade I got a little confused thinking the bonus applied to all spells such as eldritch blast. I already had my glaive so I am trying to figure out the point of choosing certain weapons to appear in my hand.

The eldritch blast push pull is a great tactic with teammwork or hostile terrain, or kiting tactics.
I'm not sure what bonus you thought applied to spells? Are you referring to Improved Pact Weapon?
The main point is you can have your glaive for 90% of encounters but if you all the sudden need to go tank style in a hallway you can switch to a sword and shield fairly easily.

bid
2019-03-03, 01:39 AM
Rolled stats? You are somewhat below point buy.

The optimal starting stat for a half-elf hexblade is 10 14 14 12 12 16, but if you have to use the standard array it's 8 14 16 10 12 16. Cha17 is an odd choice unless you plan on taking the actor feat.

Dancing light: half-elves have infravision, and you could take devil's sight.
Sword burst: at level 5, GFB would do 1d10+4+1d8++1d8+4 (~22.5) on 2 targets, while this one does 2d6++2d6++2d6 (~21) on 3 targets. And the 2nd target doesn't need to be beside you. Compare to extra attack (thirsting blade) which does 1d10+4++1d10+4 (~19).

Renthlar
2019-03-03, 02:26 AM
Rolled stats? You are somewhat below point buy.

The optimal starting stat for a half-elf hexblade is 10 14 14 12 12 16, but if you have to use the standard array it's 8 14 16 10 12 16. Cha17 is an odd choice unless you plan on taking the actor feat.

Dancing light: half-elves have infravision, and you could take devil's sight.
Sword burst: at level 5, GFB would do 1d10+4+1d8++1d8+4 (~22.5) on 2 targets, while this one does 2d6++2d6++2d6 (~21) on 3 targets. And the 2nd target doesn't need to be beside you. Compare to extra attack (thirsting blade) which does 1d10+4++1d10+4 (~19).

I believe it was a standard from the book. I was just told the points and allocated them where I thought it made since. I figured since I will use CHA for attacks I needed it as high as possible. I was thinking possibly of Pole Arm Mastery or the Great Weapon Mastery. But I don't know if that mixes with what I have.

The DM campaign is supposed to last for a long time from my understanding. The group I am with is known for doing years long campaigns until it finishes.

Rara1212
2019-03-03, 05:24 AM
You can also take the feat Elven Accuracy to boost your 17cha to 8 and get three d20's when you roll attacks with advantage. Drow and Half-elf Drow are perfect to do darkness shenanigas with the Devils Sight invocation for a good source of advantage.

Smokefly
2019-03-03, 09:12 AM
To really get the most out of hexblade, I'd go pact of the tome. Sorry if this advice comes too late, but pact of the tome and the book of ancient secrets can duplicate some of the other pact's abilities and give you a ton of utility besides. For long range blasting and control Eldrich blast is perfect especially with repelling blast. You can take thorn whip as one of your 3 tome cantrips for the pull effect and save an invocation, and you can get yourself a regular familiar and every other ritual you can lay hands on through the book of ancient secrets. Extra attacks will come a bit later.
Other cantrips for tome that I'd recommend are guidance, and booming blade.
Next level you have a choice of feats, You could take a half feat and bump your Charisma up to 18
Either through elven accuracy to improve combat or through actor or everybody's friend to improve your social game. Or you could grab spell sniper to allow you to hit foes at range with a booming blade and lock them in place. (This combined with Warcaster is awesome but will delay your ASI. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you get Charisma up to 18 or 20).
Unfortunately 2h weapons can't use Charisma as their stat, so you'd probably have to give up the glaive in favour of a whip or lance. However donning a shield and summoning a steed can give your build an extra dimension. (Phantom steed is a powerful ritual)
For max effectiveness I'd go to level 5 warlock. At this point you get an extra invocation, maybe agonising blast, or mask of many faces if you went for the actor option, and 3rd level spells. (Recommended spells include suggestion, fly, hunger of Hadar and maybe elemental weapon) then multi class into sorcerer. Any type will work but Shadow might synergise well with your drow, and the hound of ill omen is amazing for getting save or suck spells to land. You'll have access to sheild and other great spells, plenty of low level slots to use them with, and when you reach level 3 metamagic you'll be able to quicken and twin your booming blade attacks (giving you up to 3 attacks) or just quicken Eldritch blast in the time honoured fashion. If you attack with advantage, using hexblade's curse and elven accuracy then you'll have the best chance to crit, (27%?) and since that means rolling twice the dice, high level booming and green flame blade attacks can easily keep pace with the Great Weapon Master feat.
You can use a bonus action to top up your sorcery points with one of your level 3 warlock slots which recharge on a short rest. (Basically giving you the sorcerer capstone feature at level 8)
This character will be comfortable blasting from range, mixing it up in melee or controlling the battlefield, it will have some great utility spells and rituals, will be able to stealth effectively and can be the party face if you like. If you're allowed UA material then grabbing healing elixir (1st level spell) can also turn you into an emergency healer as you can use your left over slots at the end of the day or before a short rest to manufacture healing potions which last for 24 hours.
Most optimisers will say 2 or 3 levels of warlock is enough, and to go sorcerer the rest of the way otherwise you miss out on 9th level spells. However I see nothing wrong with having a more even balance of levels. (Though it's worth remembering that your character can never have more sorcery points than his sorcerer level and sorcerers get a better choice of spells than warlocks) Your character will still be awesome fun even if you don't get many high level spells, you get to cherry pick the best features of two front loaded interesting classes, it certainly won't feel underpowered.

TLDR. Tome Sorlocks are TFU 🐵

Renthlar
2019-03-03, 10:11 AM
You can also take the feat Elven Accuracy to boost your 17cha to 8 and get three d20's when you roll attacks with advantage. Drow and Half-elf Drow are perfect to do darkness shenanigas with the Devils Sight invocation for a good source of advantage.

That is only if you get advantage though. How often does that happen? I have only seen it done rarely.

@Smokefly - I never thought of the class like that! I think it might be too late to change though. We don't do UA's due to some complications the group has had with them in the past. My idea was to have a mix of ranged with melee but still be relevant to the group.

Keravath
2019-03-03, 10:25 AM
I would recommend getting the pole arm master feat since it will give you an extra bonus action attack with the back end of your glaive and a reaction attack when an opponent enters your reach.

In play, i’ve found that at lower levels great weapon master is usually not worth the damage trade off unless you are fighting low AC creatures whereas pole arm master is always useful though it does compete with hex.

If you want to focus on melee I would suggest getting devils sight and the darkness spell and leave agonizing blast to level 7. Darkness+devils sight is a good combination to get advantage vs opponents who can’t see you while they have disadvantage to attack you. I’ve found that with a 10’ reach you can step in, attack and step back so the darkness doesn’t get in the way of team mates targeting spells (RAW it doesn’t affect the required die rolls if neither your team mates nor the targets can see each other)

At level 7, you can get the spell Shadow of Moil which functionally replaces the Darkness+devils sight comnatiin since the spell makes you heavily obscured to others.

The key invocations are thirsting blade T 5th level and lifedrinker at 12th level. You will probably also want the resilient(constitution) feat at some point in order keep concentration on your spells.

As a melee warlock the mystic arcanum you receive past 12th May be less useful than levels in another class. Sorcerer, bard,paladin all have good synergy and things to offer.

From A defensive point of view, a single level of sorcerer gives you 2 level 1 long rest spell slots, 4 cantrips and 2 spells like shield and absorb elements which can be exceptionally useful. (Plus whatever the special bonuses related to the sorcerer archetype). I would not take that dip until after level 5 when you get thirsting blade and 3rd level spell slots.

One thing to keep in mind .. thirsting blade is not extra attack .. it gives you an extra attack but ONLY with your pact weapon. So, for example, you cast the spell shadow blade, you would NOT get an extra attack with it since it isn’t your pact weapon.

You also can’t grapple, shove or do other special attacks with thirsting blade.

Finally, when you reach tier 3, level 11+, you will want both PAM and GWM since otherwise your damage from agonizing blast will be higher than using your glaive.

CTurbo
2019-03-03, 10:39 AM
For future reference, there is no mechanical benefit in starting with a 17 in a stat over a 16 unless you are specifically planning on taking a half-feat that gives +1 in that stat. It's very expensive to "buy" a 15 in point buy when it doesn't help you at all. You could have started 16 Con and 16 Cha for example.

But anyway, yes you want your Cha maxed pretty quick, and if you're planning on using a Glaive, the Polearm Master feat is a no-brainer.

Staying pure Warlock has it's advantages and disadvantages. Going Pact of Blade is probably your best bet, but as mentioned above, Pact of Tome has a lot of upside too although it doesn't really do much for combat.

Lets get this out of the way. You are only eligible by RAW to multiclass into Fighter, Rogue, Bard, and Sorcerer. It hurts not being able to multiclass into Paladin as that's the most obvious choice.

I would kinda want to get to Warlock 12 to be able to add your Cha mod to damage twice, but the last few levels before you get your 3rd spell slot sting. You can definitely feel a "dead zone" in the 7 or 8 to 10 levels having only 2 spell slots.

A few Rogue levels gets you Cunning Action and Expertise which are both great, but you wouldn't be able to make use a Sneak Attack damage using a Glaive. Unless there is a specific feature from one of the Rogue's subclasses that interests you, I think this is the weakest option for you. Cunning Action is great, and 5 levels gets you Uncanny Dodge, but unless you're willing to switch to a Finesse weapon, I wouldn't bother. Note: If you ARE willing to switch to a Finesse weapon and/or use Shadow Blade, Rogue probably becomes the number 1 option.

A few levels of Bard gets you more cantrips which is nice, but also more spell slots which is GREAT. Inspiration dice are great, and I could see some synergies with Valor Bard. Overall a good option for you. I'd probably want 5 levels for short rest recharging Inspiration. Valor 6 gets you extra attack and would free up an invocation. Lore 6 gets you any two 3rd level or less spells in the game.

A few levels of Sorcerer gets you metamagic for twinning Booming Blade and such, more cantrips and spells. Shadow gets you super darkvision. Stone Sorcerer gets you a nice reaction ability and some defensive party friendly stuff. Still this is probably the worst option here with only a small dip. If you abandon the Warclock class for Sorcerer completely it is much better.

A few levels of Fighter makes you much better at fighting things lol. Second Wind, Action Surge, Fighting Style, etc... all good for you. Battle Master would probably be my choice. Maneuvers are just great. I'd probably go Fighter 6 for extra attack and two feats/ASIs. This is easily the strongest option for you IF you want to use a Glaive.

bid
2019-03-03, 02:24 PM
I believe it was a standard from the book. I was just told the points and allocated them where I thought it made since. I figured since I will use CHA for attacks I needed it as high as possible. I was thinking possibly of Pole Arm Mastery or the Great Weapon Mastery. But I don't know if that mixes with what I have.
Yeah, with standard array the best distribution would have been Str8 Dex13+1 Con15+1 Int10 Wis12 Cha14+2. There are no mechanical difference between Cha16 and Cha17.

PAM is your best choice for warlock 4 ASI/feat. And you need pact of blade and improved pact weapon to use the glaive with Cha.

Long term, warlock loses its steam around level 9-11 (or 12 for lifedrinker). And wasting a 5th slot on a utility spell is a pain, that's why MC into bard/sorcerer is interesting.

Beyond that, CTurbo hits all the spots.
I'll just add that there's a double-ended glaive (?) that works for rogue's sneak attack, its feat is a good alternative to PAM.

Renthlar
2019-03-03, 07:11 PM
Yeah, with standard array the best distribution would have been Str8 Dex13+1 Con15+1 Int10 Wis12 Cha14+2. There are no mechanical difference between Cha16 and Cha17.

PAM is your best choice for warlock 4 ASI/feat. And you need pact of blade and improved pact weapon to use the glaive with Cha.

Long term, warlock loses its steam around level 9-11 (or 12 for lifedrinker). And wasting a 5th slot on a utility spell is a pain, that's why MC into bard/sorcerer is interesting.

Beyond that, CTurbo hits all the spots.
I'll just add that there's a double-ended glaive (?) that works for rogue's sneak attack, its feat is a good alternative to PAM.

So instead of taking the ASI on lvl 4 I should take PAM then? I was debating on Elven Accuracy.

@CTurbo - I was leaning towards fighter to get those particular abilities. I like the idea of using a glaive.

@Keravath - PAM seems like a best bet for where I am at now. I like the suggestions that you have made and the set up seems to be good for advantage.

I want to know however, it is common for people to get lost in a class after they initially choose it? I read about it and it seemed really cool. When I started playing it I realized there are so many facets to the class that I did not take in consideration. Even after doing some research I felt lost.

djreynolds
2019-03-03, 07:20 PM
You can use any weapon with charisma. So why not wait, play and see how it all goes?

12th level for thirsting blade is far off. You may wish to use a shield, now and again.

PAM is a great choice, GWM is also.

I would wait and see. If you have a cleric spamming bless or a fighter dumping opponents prone... GWM has its perks.

KnotaGuru
2019-03-03, 07:50 PM
Hello. I am fairly new to D&D and am very interested in playing a Hexblade. I recently hit level 3 and am trying to figure out what is the best way to get the most out of the class.

Half elf Drow

Fey Ancestry - Hexblades Curse, Hex Warrior, Pact of the Blade, Elditrch invocation: Agonizing Blast, Improved Pact Weapon

I would like suggestions of what I should take at each level and what would be the best to multiclass with. I have seen people fighting between fighter/paladin and Shadow Warlock. I want to use eldritch blast for utility in the future for push and pulling towards me so I can hit them with my melee weapon. When I got pact of the blade I got a little confused thinking the bonus applied to all spells such as eldritch blast. I already had my glaive so I am trying to figure out the point of choosing certain weapons to appear in my hand.

I apologize if this seems stupid, I am just trying to understand. So far I am having fun, but when it comes down to the numbers I get really confused.

My personal opinion:
Level 4: Elven Accuracy. This increases you main stat for attacking/casting and doesn't pigeonhole into a certain playstyle. Gaining advantage is relatively easy (enemy is blind, restrained, stunned, prone, paralyzed, or unconscious. An ally or familiar uses the "help" action. Someone casts a spell like faerie fire or uses a class feature like wolf barb totem).
Level 5: Thirsting blade invocation (extra attack feature with your pact weapon).
Level 7: Relentless Hex invocation
Level 8: +2 CHA or GWM/PAM (based on playstyle preference. Both have the option to add a bonus attack, but I like GWM for extra damage).
Level 12: same ASI/feat options as level 8. Lifedrinker invocation.

If you're thinking of multi-classing, wait until after level 12. You really want those invocation/ASI options and the 3rd spell slot on short rest at level 11 ASAP. After 12, straight warlock is fine and since you're new to 5e I recommend single class to get the feel, but dipping into fighter for a fighting style, second wind, and archetype feature (battle master is a solid choice) would be a decent option.

Keravath
2019-03-03, 09:00 PM
I'll just add my experiences ...

I am currently playing a variant human hexblade blade pact. He is level 7. He started with PAM and took GWM at level 4.

PAM has been great but GWM is lackluster so far. My invocations are devils sight, improved pact weapon, thirsting blade and most recently at level 7 agonizing blast. I use a glaive. My charisma started at 16 with point buy. I have used darkness+devils sight and now shadows of moil to generate advantage. If I was fighting creatures with blind sight/devils sight I would usually go back to hex as a standby for extra damage.

The rule of thumb for using GWM is that the to hit without applying the -5 should be greater than 10. With advantage it should be greater than 11. With my current +7 to hit this means if the AC is less than 17 I should use GWM since I am roughly halfing my chance to hit - 10 to 15 while roughly doubling the damage with the +10. The problem is that with the -5 applied I will still miss 75% of the time ... it is nice to do the extra damage when you hit but I find that in a group it is often just better to hit.

If the to hit is lower then GWM is a much better bet (e.g. attacking creatures with an AC of 12 - modified to hit of 5 (with my +7 modifier - +3 cha, +3 prof +1 ipw) ... this becomes a 10 with GWM and I still hit 50% of the time compared to 75%. The problem? I don't know if it is just the modules I have played but the AC of tier appropriate enemies in tier 2 appears to increase pretty much in step with proficiency making GWM much less attractive as a lower level choice. However, as you enter tier 3 your proficiency increases, you get closer to a maxed attack stat and opponents AC tends to level off around 17-21 for the more challenging opponents which will help swing the pendulum a bit towards GWM being more useful. (This is just based on the math and my personal experiences so far - if your DM likes to use low AC creatures then a PAM/GWM warlock with advantage will rip through them - but in the games I have played that has only happened in one combat - I play AL so it isn't a case of a DM tailoring anything particular to my character, I think it is just the effect of bounded accuracy and the scaling of the creatures by CR and tier).

In my case, I am leaning towards resilient constitution at 8 and bumping cha at 12. If I could redo it I would probably have taken resilient or the cha bump at 4 and the other one at 8 saving GWM for 12. By 12, GWM and lifedrinker should ensure that your weapon attacks are far more damaging than agonizing blast.

As for longer term, my ideas for progression past 12 are leaning towards 3 levels of sorcerer for quicken and possibly 5 levels of whispers bard for the five times/short rest mini smite usage of their bardic inspiration (as well as all the other good bard things :) and the final ASI to max charisma).

Unfortunately, the full abilities with the short rest bardic inspiration would only come online at 17 or 20. Also, the sorcerer levels would probably be first so he can quicken whichever spell he wants to start with in combat. The character would also get access to the shield and absorb elements spells. I don't find the warlock mystic arcanums particularly compelling.

P.S. As for feeling lost ... I think it is pretty normal since you have one idea of how a build would play out but when you get to actually playing you find that either mechanically or for role play reasons it doesn't really play the way you expected it to. This is one of the reasons I like playing Adventurers League, you can rebuild your character and change anything you like except the name up until you reach level 5. This gives you a chance to play it, try things out, adjust stats and see if the character you have in mind plays out well in game.

Feeling lost can also happen when you aren't sure what your best choice should be and are concerned about doing something wrong. The good news is that there isn't really a wrong decision, there are a lot of ways to take each character and each one is different. (For example, I also have a 5th level character which is a 3rd level shadow sorcerer/2nd level hexblade and a 12th level 10 lore bard/2 hexblade warlock which all play completely differently from both a mechanics and role play perspective than each other or the 7th level pure hexblade)

Renthlar
2019-03-08, 08:18 PM
This makes me feel a bit better. I am going to go Elven Accuracy for right now. I also took Darkness, switched to Devils Sight, and got Green Flame Blade. Because I am new my DM allowed me to switch out Sword Burst for Booming Blade.

GreyBlack
2019-03-08, 08:31 PM

Half elf Drow

Weird suggestion, but I'd recommend switching Int and Strength if you can. An 8 strength really hampers your ability to carry stuff and get treasure. Intelligence really doesn't do your character any good from an optimization standpoint, so you may want to switch those two. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Renthlar
2019-03-09, 12:28 AM
Weird suggestion, but I'd recommend switching Int and Strength if you can. An 8 strength really hampers your ability to carry stuff and get treasure. Intelligence really doesn't do your character any good from an optimization standpoint, so you may want to switch those two. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I did that because in my characters lore, he is frail in that department.

Renthlar
2019-03-10, 08:49 PM
For future reference, there is no mechanical benefit in starting with a 17 in a stat over a 16 unless you are specifically planning on taking a half-feat that gives +1 in that stat. It's very expensive to "buy" a 15 in point buy when it doesn't help you at all. You could have started 16 Con and 16 Cha for example.

But anyway, yes you want your Cha maxed pretty quick, and if you're planning on using a Glaive, the Polearm Master feat is a no-brainer.

Staying pure Warlock has it's advantages and disadvantages. Going Pact of Blade is probably your best bet, but as mentioned above, Pact of Tome has a lot of upside too although it doesn't really do much for combat.

Lets get this out of the way. You are only eligible by RAW to multiclass into Fighter, Rogue, Bard, and Sorcerer. It hurts not being able to multiclass into Paladin as that's the most obvious choice.

I would kinda want to get to Warlock 12 to be able to add your Cha mod to damage twice, but the last few levels before you get your 3rd spell slot sting. You can definitely feel a "dead zone" in the 7 or 8 to 10 levels having only 2 spell slots.

A few Rogue levels gets you Cunning Action and Expertise which are both great, but you wouldn't be able to make use a Sneak Attack damage using a Glaive. Unless there is a specific feature from one of the Rogue's subclasses that interests you, I think this is the weakest option for you. Cunning Action is great, and 5 levels gets you Uncanny Dodge, but unless you're willing to switch to a Finesse weapon, I wouldn't bother. Note: If you ARE willing to switch to a Finesse weapon and/or use Shadow Blade, Rogue probably becomes the number 1 option.

A few levels of Bard gets you more cantrips which is nice, but also more spell slots which is GREAT. Inspiration dice are great, and I could see some synergies with Valor Bard. Overall a good option for you. I'd probably want 5 levels for short rest recharging Inspiration. Valor 6 gets you extra attack and would free up an invocation. Lore 6 gets you any two 3rd level or less spells in the game.

A few levels of Sorcerer gets you metamagic for twinning Booming Blade and such, more cantrips and spells. Shadow gets you super darkvision. Stone Sorcerer gets you a nice reaction ability and some defensive party friendly stuff. Still this is probably the worst option here with only a small dip. If you abandon the Warclock class for Sorcerer completely it is much better.

A few levels of Fighter makes you much better at fighting things lol. Second Wind, Action Surge, Fighting Style, etc... all good for you. Battle Master would probably be my choice. Maneuvers are just great. I'd probably go Fighter 6 for extra attack and two feats/ASIs. This is easily the strongest option for you IF you want to use a Glaive.

I tried finding where it stats that a Warlock cannot multiclass with Paladin, and the only sources I could come up with was back in 3rd ed. Right now with my current set up as I have had a couple of sessions to try it out, I am doing massive damage with my weapon with improved pact weapon/pact of the blade. It doesn't compare as much to my Eldritch Blast, again that could be just the lucky rolls too. This makes me either want to go Paladin or Fighter. Sorcerer sounds amazing, but I am afraid with what I have going on right now it would take away from some of melee abilities. If I am wrong on this, can you explain how it would work?

GreyBlack
2019-03-10, 09:13 PM
I tried finding where it stats that a Warlock cannot multiclass with Paladin, and the only sources I could come up with was back in 3rd ed. Right now with my current set up as I have had a couple of sessions to try it out, I am doing massive damage with my weapon with improved pact weapon/pact of the blade. It doesn't compare as much to my Eldritch Blast, again that could be just the lucky rolls too. This makes me either want to go Paladin or Fighter. Sorcerer sounds amazing, but I am afraid with what I have going on right now it would take away from some of melee abilities. If I am wrong on this, can you explain how it would work?

To multi class into paladin, you need a strength of 13. It's in the section called "character customization" in the PHB.

Renthlar
2019-03-10, 10:49 PM
To multi class into paladin, you need a strength of 13. It's in the section called "character customization" in the PHB.

Ooooh yeah I forgot about the stat requirements. Thank you. I can't believe I overlooked that.