PDA

View Full Version : MM Gunslinger Feats

Escribblings
2019-03-03, 05:23 AM
So I'm rolling a Lvl 5 Vuman Gunslinger.

(I was going Ghostwise Halfling, but SCAG isn't allowed).

I've already picked "Lucky" as the bonus feat, but haven't rolled stats yet (waiting for character approval).

Question.

Assuming my stats are good enough, what feat should I take at levels 4 and 6?

I'm thinking Crossbow Expert (to remove disadvantage at close quarters) and Sharpshooter for the extra damage.

Which way round would you take them?

Or would you choose differently?

Zhorn
2019-03-03, 08:45 AM
Interesting that SCAG isn't allowed while Mercer's homebrew is... To each DM their own I guess.

Do you know if you DM is willing to convert the crossbow specific components of the feat to apply to pistols? I would imagine that might change the priority order around. Granted if you get to use the handguns in Mercer's doc instead of the pistols in the DMG, the loading aspect is less of an issue (plus if I recall correctly, Matt's Gunslinger has a reload component built into the subclass features).
If the feats are taken as written, Sharp Shooter first, since the feat is more of a 'full feat' as opposed to taking Crossbow Expert for just one of the points it grants.
If you DM lets Crossbow Expert ignore loading on pistols and allows for pistols to benefit from the bonus action attack, then that would probably make for the stronger choice.

Nod_Hero
2019-03-08, 01:52 AM
If your DM allows UA materials think about getting the Close Quarters Shooter fighting style from Unearthed Arcana: Light, Dark, Underdark (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf)!
Then you take Sharpshooter feat at level 4 and you're basically done.

I did it with my goblin gunslinger and it's been a hoot.

Clone
2019-03-08, 07:54 AM
A friend in a campaign of mine is running a similar build and he grabbed sharpshooter at level 1 and boosted his DEX to 20 at 4 (we rolled and he rolled poorly on everything except great DEX). He kills things pretty darn well and with the Archery Fighting Style combined with the high dexterity he often hits when using his grit for advantage. He is unsure what feats to take himself at level 6 (he's disappointed he can't increase his DEX more!) but I'd say it depends on what kind of ability you want or need.

He's considering Alert, Mage Slayer, Martial Adept, Observant, Ritual Caster, Resilient, Skulker, or Prodigy.

Alert - More initiative is always great with big damage guns and being unable to be surprised never something to sniff at.
Mage Slayer - Not as good than maybe a melee character but long range concentration disruption is very potent (especially as a DM!)
Martial Adept - We allow 2 dice instead of 1, but precision strike can help big time in those clutch moments.
Observant - More passive perception is great and +1 for your grit points is always nice if uneven stats.
Ritual Caster - Never a bad choice if you don't have someone with access to the utility rituals. I've seen the spells you get access to be invaluable.
Resilient - DEX for uneven dex and amazing physical saves or WIS for extra grit and lovely better mental saves. Bland but nice.
Skulker - Sure your gun makes a large sound when fired, but it has its uses for getting the jump on folk.
Prodigy - extra proficiency is always nice and while it doesn't work on your tools, stealth, insight or perception is great for you with those being your main stats.

Hope this helps!

Escribblings
2019-03-10, 05:04 AM
If your DM allows UA materials think about getting the Close Quarters Shooter fighting style from Unearthed Arcana: Light, Dark, Underdark (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf)!
Then you take Sharpshooter feat at level 4 and you're basically done.

I did it with my goblin gunslinger and it's been a hoot.

I've asked, we haven't started the campaign yet so others may want to adjust their characters with stuff from this too, of allowed.

I'm crossing my fingers, because that removes the need for xbow xpert feat.

A friend in a campaign of mine is running a similar build and he grabbed sharpshooter at level 1 and boosted his DEX to 20 at 4 (we rolled and he rolled poorly on everything except great DEX). He kills things pretty darn well and with the Archery Fighting Style combined with the high dexterity he often hits when using his grit for advantage. He is unsure what feats to take himself at level 6 (he's disappointed he can't increase his DEX more!) but I'd say it depends on what kind of ability you want or need.

I've rolled poorly too...

8, 8, 12, 15, 16, 16

I've put my racial ASI into Dex and Wis.

I've got 2 choices it seems...

12 16+1 15 8 16+1 8 - more hp
Or
15 16+1 12 8 16+1 8 - allows heavy armour

I could do 12+1 16 16 8 15+1 8 but that seems a waste....

Suggestions for the best stat layout