PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Impractical plans for impractical monsters

superninja109
2019-03-03, 11:08 AM
..Deleted..

J-H
2019-03-03, 11:21 AM
Dig a sufficiently deep hole with smooth stone walls. Fill it with water. Use any number of bait/lure/concealment methods to make the troll fall in. Prevent it from escaping by cutting off hands/fingers that it tries to use to pull itself up with.

JNAProductions
2019-03-03, 11:29 AM
What constitutes beating them?

Unoriginal
2019-03-03, 11:39 AM
Luring them in a place with a big pot of melted iron, pouring it on the troll and cooling is a classic option.

And the troll, being immune to fire, wouldn't fear the molten iron until too late.

ImproperJustice
2019-03-03, 12:03 PM
Offer to remove the Cloud of insects from the Troll, so it can live a life in peace in another land.

I mean, anyone would be a raging monster if constantly surrounded by a swarm of insects.

JackPhoenix
2019-03-03, 12:41 PM
Winged tiefling level 1... anthing with Chill Touch. Just stay out of reach, Chill Touch negates regeneration. You can be completely naked, it doesn't get any lower-resource than that. Chill Touch has range of 120', so even if the troll tries to throw something at you as an improvised weapon, you're out of range. Tiefling because it's got stat bonuses compatible for casters with CT, and because I don't have to use any resources to check how the other flying race is spelled.

RogueJK
2019-03-03, 03:12 PM
That looks good. Unless someone comes up with something better, that looks like it might be the best. However, after looking into the flying tiefling, I am going to say that in all future challenges, characters that are used must be AL legal so that not everything becomes a flying tielfling with a ranged attack.

You could do this same concept in an AL-legal format. You don't necessarily need a Flying Tiefling or Aarakocra.

Go with a Variant Human 1st level Wizard, Warlock, or Sorcerer. Take the Mobile feat for 40' movement. Take Chill Touch as a cantrip, and Expeditious Retreat as a 1st level spell.

First round, cast Expeditious Retreat. Every round, including the 1st, you can move 80 feet away from the Troll. (40' Move + 40' Bonus Action Dash.) Starting on the 2nd round, use your Action to cast Chill Touch on it, while continually Moving+Dashing 80 feet away.

Even if it Dashes, the Troll won't be able to get close enough to you to attack you, or even to catch you in its Insect Plague radius. The Troll can move up to 60' per round with a Dash action, plus has another 20' of Insect Plague radius.

With your 80' of movement, you can continue to stay out of reach and keep plinking at it with Chill Touch until it dies.

Unoriginal
2019-03-03, 03:15 PM
I guess that could work. You'd need something to heat the iron with and then a container to hold it.

Easy to get. Proficiency in Smith's Tools already gives you the know-how.

Also, how do you plan on cooling the iron before the troll kills you?

Water, lots of it.

stoutstien
2019-03-03, 03:59 PM
They have less than 100 hp and 15 ac? I could see a bunch if ways a player can just nuke it.

stoutstien
2019-03-03, 06:59 PM
Do elaborate. I'm interested to hear what you can think of.
Low lv the expeditious retreat/ chill touch combo wins.

A hex blade 1/ envoker wizard x could end it with a 5th lv spell slot no save or miss or about 43 damage with a first lv slot. Higher lv but 100% chance.

Warlock with Lance and repelling invocation? Take forever but simple. It would take almost 40 rounds. So maybe not that one.

Once a get time I'll pen out the lowest lv a pally could probably take it out in a round.

None of these are very creative but under a hundred hp is definitely in the range of one round nuke

JackPhoenix
2019-03-04, 10:48 AM
Low lv the expeditious retreat/ chill touch combo wins.

A hex blade 1/ envoker wizard x could end it with a 5th lv spell slot no save or miss or about 43 damage with a first lv slot. Higher lv but 100% chance.

Warlock with Lance and repelling invocation? Take forever but simple. It would take almost 40 rounds. So maybe not that one.

Once a get time I'll pen out the lowest lv a pally could probably take it out in a round.

None of these are very creative but under a hundred hp is definitely in the range of one round nuke

You also need to stop it from regenerating, and neither fire nor acid work. So you're left with Chill Touch or suffocation.

stoutstien
2019-03-04, 11:04 AM
You also need to stop it from regenerating, and neither fire nor acid work. So you're left with Chill Touch or suffocation.
I thought trolls can't Regen if they hit 0 how?

Unoriginal
2019-03-04, 11:07 AM
I thought trolls can't Regen if they hit 0 how?

No, they can regen as long as they're not damaged by fire or acid, even if they get to 0 HPs.

Unless they're one of the different kinds of trolls that are vulnerable to other stuff.

stoutstien
2019-03-04, 11:14 AM
No, they can regen as long as they're not damaged by fire or acid, even if they get to 0 HPs.

Unless they're one of the different kinds of trolls that are vulnerable to other stuff.
For once I have the correct book(s) on my desk. I see now English says "and" doesn't Regen and German says "or".

Ideas redacted

ImproperJustice
2019-03-04, 12:07 PM
Hmmmmm....

Fog Cloud + Upcasting Tiny Servant on 3-5 lengths of chain to bind legs, arms, etc... then apply a few good locks and toss into any of the death traps listed above.

Karnitis
2019-03-04, 01:57 PM
So, I'm just going to go with a simple solution I saw for how to kill a Terrasque: Bag of holding + bag of holding.

DM guide only lists uncommon magic items as 101-500, so for these purposes, I'm saying it will cost 202 gold.

Now here comes where I think I'll get shot down. Insect plague, right? 4d10 on a failed save, avg 22 dmg.

My two thoughts are - lv 6 necromancer sends in a zombie to get within 5 ft and is commanded to bag-in-bag. I didn't get a clear response when I googled to see if you could give them as complex as phrase as 'bag in bag' or not, but with a necromancer's ability, a zombie would have more than enough health, even with a failed CON.

2nd thought, and there is no way this one works, is animate objects. I'd say a bag is Small object, which the spells lists as 25 hp. Once they're close enough to the troll, just command one to fly into the other.

For both scenarios, we are assuming some kind of surprise round or approaching behind the troll, otherwise the troll would attack first and stop the zombie/bag.

Unoriginal
2019-03-04, 02:04 PM
Putting a bag of holding in a bag of holding does nothing.

You're thinking of putting a bag of holding in a portable hole.

Karnitis
2019-03-04, 02:19 PM
So the language on Roll20 (which I assume is legit?) says:

Placing a bag of holding inside an extradimensional space created by a Handy Haversack, Portable Hole, or similar item instantly destroys both items and opens a gate to the Astral Plane.

So at first I figured "okay, I'm wrong, it has to be extradimensional and I guess the bag of holding isn't that." So I was just going to edit my post for Handy Haversack. But then I checked Handy Haversack on Roll20, and:

Placing the haversack inside an extradimensional space created by a Bag of Holding, Portable Hole, or similar item instantly destroys both item and opens a gate to the Astral Place.

So HH states that a Bag of Holding is an extradimensional space, so two bags would be two extradimensional spaces and should qualify.