PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Rune Scribe: the heavily slept on UA prestige class

tyler811
2019-03-03, 11:18 AM
The rune scribe is an unearthed arcana prestige class with some nutty features nobody is talking about. here's an example build using it to demonstrate
the 2 important features for the build:
1.)flaming brand from opal of ild enabling you to add up to a +3 bonus to a weapon including a weapon that is already +3
2.)living rune from level 4, this is basically an ASI but it has the added bonus of being adaptable after a long rest and not capping at 20 so we can make one of our modifiers +6
we're going to be a sorcerer 14/ rune scribe 4/ warlock 2
we have hexblade so we can use our +6 CHA mod to attack with the previously implied +6 longsword
we also take green-flame blade so we can use it to melee instead of taking the attack action and also quicken it for cheap extra damage
when we use this ability we do 1D10+3D8+12 and 3D8+16 fire damage with a +16 to hit, potentially twice over
that's just sustained damage, you stil have the nova damage from sorclock and the 17 other abilities on the other runes you have

PhoenixPhyre
2019-03-03, 11:45 AM
That's because it was horribly reviewed and was officially abandoned as a concept by the devs. I doubt most know it exists, let alone would actually allow it at the table.

Kadesh
2019-03-03, 01:24 PM
Also, 20th level is 20th level - noone plays at that level. Talk about it at more common levels: 3-7, and 8-12 are more common. Build it up,

Temperjoke
2019-03-03, 01:27 PM
Not to mention they cannibalized the runes to use in Storm King's Thunder.

Arkhios
2019-03-04, 07:00 AM
Couldn't find the statement, but I seem to recall that the designers came to a conclusion that the concept of prestige classes as they used to be in 3rd edition is not going to work in 5th edition. At least not in any official way.

Besides, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster, as well as Assassin and many others used to be Prestige Classes in 3rd edition. Now they're baked into the core classes. Trying to add prestige classes into the whole is going to make things more complicated than necessary.

Unoriginal
2019-03-04, 07:37 AM
Not to mention they cannibalized the runes to use in Storm King's Thunder.

There's also the Elder Runes in Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Though the concept is far different.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-04, 12:00 PM
Couldn't find the statement, but I seem to recall that the designers came to a conclusion that the concept of prestige classes as they used to be in 3rd edition is not going to work in 5th edition. At least not in any official way.

Besides, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster, as well as Assassin and many others used to be Prestige Classes in 3rd edition. Now they're baked into the core classes. Trying to add prestige classes into the whole is going to make things more complicated than necessary.

I actually did a lot of research into Prestige Classes a while back, and most people came to the same conclusion that you did. The goal of Prestige Classes were:

To add a unique way to grow your character
To implement new and interesting mechanics on top of the old ones
Have certain restrictions placed upon Prestige Classes for balance concerns (so you can't just mix and match anything you want)

Most of those were already implemented with 5e's Subclass system. However, I realized there was still a lot of potential for growth by allowing more multiclass options. With the standard ruleset, there are not many ways for a Barbarian or a Monk to multiclass, due to the requirement for melee combat, their Unarmored Defense, and their opposing stat requirements. Similarly, the Cleric didn't have many options to multiclass into, despite having lots of valuable proficiencies, due to their dependence on their Wisdom stat (and few other builds that require Wisdom and armor).

Taking this all in, I put together Prestige Options (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?578643-MOG-Mechanics-Prestige-Options-(Adapt-existing-classes-to-create-unique-characters)&p=23638903&viewfull=1#post23638903)(in my signature) which allows more unorthodox builds by expanding how classes can multiclass. It gives the same "feel" of a prestige class while still working within the 5e ruleset.

Basically, it allows you to change what attribute you use for your class features with specific classes, but you must obey certain restrictions about how you can level up your character. Now you can comfortably be a Charisma Cleric + Paladin. Or you can be a Wisdom Hexblade + Ranger. Or a Strength Monk. You can be something unique that sets you apart from everyone else and utilize really interesting mechanics (like a Monk with high AC using Barbarian Rage) but without much risk for overpowered multiclassing.

It might suit what you're looking for at your table.