PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic Item Advice

Beleriphon
2019-03-03, 02:09 PM
Fire Lance
Wonderous item, very rare

Few weapons of the ancient world still exist. A fire lance is one such weapon. Capable of burning a hole through a man with beams of fire, flattening buildings, or even destroying entire villages only the most power hungry and mad would seek out such an artifact.

The fire lance requires two hands to control. A fire lance possess a maximum of 12 charge sand regains up to 1d6 charges at dawn. While holding it you can use an action to expend 1 of its 12 charges to shoot a beam of fire at a target within 100 feet. Each use requires a ranged attack roll. On a successful attack roll you deal 3d10 fire damage to the target, and the target must make a Constitution saving throw of DC 20 or be set on fire. A creature set on fire by a fire lance is dealt 1d10 damage at the start of their turn until they succeed on Constitution saving throw of DC15 at the end of their turn. A creature can not be set of fire more than once in this way.

The above is an item I'm working on for a game. I'm kind of aiming at a rare/very rare magic item. I'll admit its supposed to be a fantasy laser rifle, but I want to be usable more than the sci-fi weapons in the DMG.

So I need some advice.

1) Is it doing enough damage to warrant being rare, or very rare? If not how much would you suggest.
2) I want it to be the kind of thing a midlevel (like level 8 or 9) boss might wield as a unique weapon, so is being rare/very rare even appropriate.
3) I considered just making it an artifact, but I don't want it be unique. What do you think?
4) I don't think it has enough abilities for a rare/very rare item. Anything you think would make it more interesting. Basic effect I want really is just ranged damage, but I'm considering having it blow up if it runs out of charges based on some unlikely result and dealing 36d10 damage in some moderately sized area.