PDA

View Full Version : Magic item "fight"

Ruzvaj
2019-03-03, 04:41 PM
In a campaign I'm playing, there's a magic item desired by my character and another one. Both are proficient with it and both could do equally good using it (same mods). How do you deal with such a problem?

Rukelnikov
2019-03-03, 04:45 PM
Who got dibs on the last juicy item? its the other one's turn

Even if both can use it, is it THE ONLY ITEM one of those 2 could use? In that case he should get it

Can either of the two give another item to the other one?

Roll dice highest gets dibs

DeTess
2019-03-03, 04:49 PM
In a campaign I'm playing, there's a magic item desired by my character and another one. Both are proficient with it and both could do equally good using it (same mods). How do you deal with such a problem?

OOC, I'd do a quick gear comparison between you and the other character, and give it to the one that's behind. If the two of you are similar, gear-wise, it might be a good idea to ask the GM if a similar -type item will drop sometime reasonably soon in the campaign, at which point you could just decide who gets the first one, knowing that the other one will get their magic sword later.

Another possibility is that you either have a mock-duel, or just roll a dice for chance, with the winner either getting the sword, or getting the sword, but paying half it's value to the loser (representing the loser's 'share' of this bit of the loot), but int he last case it'd make sense that the opposite is done if the loser alter gets a similar item.

Ruzvaj
2019-03-03, 04:54 PM
OOC, I'd do a quick gear comparison between you and the other character, and give it to the one that's behind. If the two of you are similar, gear-wise, it might be a good idea to ask the GM if a similar -type item will drop sometime reasonably soon in the campaign, at which point you could just decide who gets the first one, knowing that the other one will get their magic sword later.

Another possibility is that you either have a mock-duel, or just roll a dice for chance, with the winner either getting the sword, or getting the sword, but paying half it's value to the loser (representing the loser's 'share' of this bit of the loot), but int he last case it'd make sense that the opposite is done if the loser alter gets a similar item.

Rapier. One is a melee warrior and the other is a mainly ranged warrior who can go melee as well. Low level pcs, no magic items so far except for the casters, who all have some already

Rukelnikov
2019-03-03, 05:00 PM
Rapier. One is a melee warrior and the other is a mainly ranged warrior who can go melee as well. Low level pcs, no magic items so far except for the casters, who all have some already

Sounds like it should go to the melee then, rapier will be his bread and butter

DeTess
2019-03-03, 05:18 PM

Yeah, if both are proficient, but it's going to be a 'sometimes' weapon for one, and a mainstay for the other, it should go to the one getting the most use out of it. Depending on how the DM does loot, there's probably a magic bow of some sort on its way to event hings out.

Rerem115
2019-03-03, 05:30 PM
Aww. I was kinda hoping that it would be 2 animated weapons duking it out a-la BattleBots :smalltongue:

Sigreid
2019-03-03, 05:41 PM
If it weren't for the fact that one's preferred fighting style is close in and the other is ranged, I'd say Ro-sham-bo. But up close and personal guy will clearly put it to the best use.

JackPhoenix
2019-03-04, 01:37 PM
Murder. Preferably IC rather than OOC, but both work.

This advice was brought to you by EVIL. «EVIL: The only way to be happy»

Wuzza
2019-03-04, 01:54 PM
I'd say Ro-sham-bo.
I'd forgotten about that, I'm so using it in my next session. :D

KorvinStarmast
2019-03-04, 10:32 PM

The problem is not the item. The problem is that the two players need to grow up and arrive at a resolution like two mature adults.

Before there was an internet, the solution was bloody obvious: either, as a group, the party votes on who would get it and how it would benefit the party most, or in the last event the two players roll the dice, highest die roll wins the item.

How hard is that?

Granted, the AD&D 1e PHB had a whole section on sharing treasure equitably because so many role playing gamers were socially dysfunctional.

Sometimes, I weep for our hobby. :smallfrown:

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-05, 11:15 AM
The answer is simple, gais

It's time for a XIAOLIN SHOWDOWN!

Or just give it to the guy who's going to use it more. It's a friggin' sword. Another one is going to come by, and when it does, Archer dude gets the magic stick. Problem solved.

Segev
2019-03-05, 11:19 AM
Alright, put it in your inventory. Then, drop it on the ground and crash your copy of the game while the other guy picks it up. If you do it right and are a bit lucky, your saved inventory will still have it in there when you log back in.