PDA

View Full Version : Persist spell: help me go nuts.

Endril_69
2019-03-03, 06:04 PM
Hi all. I'm having fun stacking a bunch of persist spells on my character, and thought I'd tap into the minds of GitP for more ideas.

I'm an incantatrix with 9th level spells and I can hit all the DCs to persist my spells. I also have mythic tiers (PF), and can get back my spells and metamagic effects with a couple hours of rest. So I'm not worried about limits; just spells that matter and no costly components. As a bonus, my cohort can cast 8th level cleric spells, and I can use "replicate spell" to copy them.

Here's the catch:
First, no evocation spells.
Second, my spells are limited to those found here:
http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/sorcerer-wizard-spells
But I also get some spells from the pfsrd.
Third, no persist target shenanigans. Spell entry has to say personal or fixed.

And so you don't repeat what I already have, here it is:
Veil of Undeath, wings of the dragon, holy star, bite of the werebear, holy transformation, sonic shield (replicated), mythic prayer, divine power, stunning barrier, freedom of movement, spell turning, glimpse of truth, lesser mass vigor, disguise self, mirror image.

Thanks in advance.

Jack_Simth
2019-03-03, 07:09 PM
Hi all. I'm having fun stacking a bunch of persist spells on my character, and thought I'd tap into the minds of GitP for more ideas.

I'm an incantatrix with 9th level spells and I can hit all the DCs to persist my spells. I also have mythic tiers (PF), and can get back my spells and metamagic effects with a couple hours of rest. So I'm not worried about limits; just spells that matter and no costly components. As a bonus, my cohort can cast 8th level cleric spells, and I can use "replicate spell" to copy them.

Here's the catch:
First, no evocation spells.
Second, my spells are limited to those found here:
http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/sorcerer-wizard-spells
But I also get some spells from the pfsrd.
Third, no persist target shenanigans. Spell entry has to say personal or fixed.

And so you don't repeat what I already have, here it is:
Veil of Undeath, wings of the dragon, holy star, bite of the werebear, holy transformation, sonic shield (replicated), mythic prayer, divine power, stunning barrier, freedom of movement, spell turning, glimpse of truth, lesser mass vigor, disguise self, mirror image.

Thanks in advance.
So your DM is treating touch as fixed range, then (Freedom of Movement)? Or is it the "You or .." bit that makes that one function?
You want Vigorous Circle, rather than Mass lesser Vigor. Not that the difference is overly meaningful - it still won't make much difference in a single combat.
Holy Star, being an effect spell with a fixed range, is self-stacking. Get lots.

What will make an actual difference depends mostly on your combat style. What do you do in a fight?

Endril_69
2019-03-03, 07:23 PM
Yeah, it's the "personal/you" part that makes freedom of movement is okay. I could do the same with invisibility, but doing that every day makes RP difficult. I can recuperate spells, but cohort can't, so probably can't do multiple holy stars. I might learn miracle next level (wyrm wizard) and see if the DM allows it to stack.

In a fight, I want to be able to tank. My attacks used to just be debuffs like flesshiver and stun ray, but I've recently started doing damage with orb of force.

Jack_Simth
2019-03-03, 07:43 PM
So you want to never get hurt. OK...

Displacement (50% miss chance)
Greater Mirror Image (multiple targets to choose from)
Greater Blink (20% miss chance even if they've got True Seeing)
Starmantle (ignore nonmagical manufactured weapons; reflex half for magical ones... Pick up a Ring of Evasion - VERY good synergy with this spell!!!)
Repelling Shield (+4 Shield AC, pushes attackers away)
Deep Breath (Never suffocate)

Spells that don't need persisting due to duration:
Superior Resistance (+6 Resistance to saves)
Energy Immunity (what it says on the tin)
Mind Blank
Greater Mage Armor (+6 AC)

Lightning Ring
Fire Shield
Radiant Shield - might want to skip this, due to the abstinence component
Cacophonic Shield

... really, though, all you need to do is just go through each spell on your listing....

Endril_69
2019-03-03, 08:02 PM
I've looked over most spells I can take, but I probably missed a couple good ones. Star mantle is something I'd look at it if it was personal.

Jack_Simth
2019-03-04, 07:13 AM
I've looked over most spells I can take, but I probably missed a couple good ones. Star mantle is something I'd look at it if it was personal.

Ah, missed that. Well, you can still get the benefits via item - there's a cloak that does it in the Book of Exalted Deeds.

RNightstalker
2019-03-05, 10:33 PM
Foresight, PH 233.

Kalkra
2019-03-06, 12:32 AM
Personally, I'm a fan of Permeable Form. Actually, Persisting any 1 round spell make me giggle in my inner cheesy place.

Rebel7284
2019-03-06, 09:16 AM
Cloud of Knives is an early level favorite. Less exciting when you can cast 9th level spells, but still, free attacks are nice...

Sadism isn't too bad if you do any blasting. Luck bonuses are rare.

Alter Self and Draconic Polymorph are useful, although can be annoying for roleplay. Although, I guess at this level, you can just cast an extended Shapechange...

As far as cleric spells
Divine Retaliation: free attacks are always nice.

Channeled Divine Shield gives nice DR

Hell's Power is nice, but I am not sure if the material component is okay in your game.

Consumptive Field and Greater Consumptive Field are also evil classics. Use both to more than double your caster level.

Shield of the Archons has a chance of breaking, but stopping ANY magical attack is pretty amazing.

Kalkra
2019-03-06, 01:41 PM
Bite of the Wererat give a bigger Dex bonus that Bite of the Werebear. Also, if you have the Mother Cyst feat, Necrotic Empowerment is nice.

Segev
2019-03-06, 02:02 PM
Bite of the Wererat give a bigger Dex bonus that Bite of the Werebear. Also, if you have the Mother Cyst feat, Necrotic Empowerment is nice.

Probably the only spell in the tree that can be termed "nice." I mean, don't get me wrong, there's some wonderful gems in there, but they're most definitely not nice.